Sponsored by:

PDK in heavy traffic?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:46 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by lgascoig
You nailed it. It does shift harsher than the tip even in Normal mode at least on my C2S (I had a Boxster tip as a loaner). Also of note, the strong brakes on the car make it difficult to have really smooth stops. I drive mine most days in a bit (5m) of stop and go traffic and that is plenty. I'd say between the brakes and the gas pedal it's more annoying to drive in stop and go than my old stick WRX.
i've read some of the replies to your email where people have "dissed" you a tad,
but
too some degree i agree with you.

first the brakes in our C2S.
they are not as progressive as my 96 C4S or my 06 outback for that matter.
there seems to be a lot of stopping power at the top of the pedal which makes gentle stops a bit challenging to modulate.

i thinks it's just a matter of recalibrating my brain / foot connection.
it's not bad, just different.

PDK
Every time we drive the car i tell my wife that we should check with P to see if the've updated the shift control software. Shifting form gear to gear up or down is no issue, but the shift down into 1st when moving is clumsy / noisy / jerky.

when rolling away from a stop gently, there seems to be quite a bit of clutch slip, much more so than when i or you drive a stick.

I know it's new technology and we were willing to risk being an early adopter.
I'm sure a software revision or two will make things golden.

cheers

Craig
Old 11-30-2008, 07:48 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
OK, for those of you that are more “visually oriented,” here is some help.

1st pic = Tip

2nd pic = PDK

Any questions???
who's the chubby girl on the right?

<g>

Craig
Old 11-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Given the cost difference, miight be worthwhile to use some of your..

Originally Posted by zedcat
Thought I should comment since I started this!

First thanks to all for the input. It is very helpful. Being in Malaysia I can't test drive PDK to judge whether to order it in a new 09Cayman or just buy an in stock 08 Cayman with tip. So really need the input here.

Knowing myself to be a bit heavy handed/ footed, there's a good chance my initial experience would be similar to lgascoig. With time I'd probably get used to it. Nearly everything I've read about PDk is positive, but just wanted to see if there were other opinions that would help in my situation.

Thanks again.
frequent flyer miles and fly somewhere where you can test cars with both types of tranmissions before you make up your mind.

Other owners input is good, but nothing like getting some first hand experience.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:31 PM
lgascoig
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
i've read some of the replies to your email where people have "dissed" you a tad,
but

there seems to be a lot of stopping power at the top of the pedal which makes gentle stops a bit challenging to modulate.

PDK
Every time we drive the car i tell my wife that we should check with P to see if the've updated the shift control software. Shifting form gear to gear up or down is no issue, but the shift down into 1st when moving is clumsy / noisy / jerky.

when rolling away from a stop gently, there seems to be quite a bit of clutch slip, much more so than when i or you drive a stick.

cheers

Craig
Craig you rule... You're describing exactly what I'm experiencing with the car.

Note to the forum: I'm not slagging the car or anything, I love my car. It's a great car, especially if you drive it fast on winding roads. The OP asked and I gave my opinion. Fast performance car not the best at everything, news at 11.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:31 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

I have 3,500 miles on my S Cab with PDK, and to answer the question about comparison to a Tip, which I have also had, I feel the PDK is just as smooth as the Tip but with the advantage of shifting much faster. When I had less than 200 miles on the car I was caught in a traffic jam and spent about 7 miles of creeping along. The PDK did fine, just as good as my Tip would have done. Hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:52 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lgascoig
Craig you rule... You're describing exactly what I'm experiencing with the car.

glad to help out
i prefer to deal with reality versus hyperbole,

"PDK trumps Tiptronic in every single way...done deal enough said."

yes, this IS a smiley face.

cheers

Craig
Old 12-03-2008, 01:34 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

but

PDK

cheers

Craig

I have to conclude that something is off with your car (and lgascoig's car). I do not have a PDK but have driven 5 different PDK cars and my experience with it is the same as RED HORSE's and mdrums', i.e., very smooth. Unless you drive in traffic in Sport Plus mode (you need Sport Chrono), where you will find a little engaging jolt. In traffic SC should be off or at most in Sport mode, not Sport Plus.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:49 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
I have to conclude that something is off with your car (and lgascoig's car). I do not have a PDK but have driven 5 different PDK cars and my experience with it is the same as RED HORSE's and mdrums', i.e., very smooth. Unless you drive in traffic in Sport Plus mode (you need Sport Chrono), where you will find a little engaging jolt. In traffic SC should be off or at most in Sport mode, not Sport Plus.
thanks for the input
you may be right.
there certainly could be something wrong with HW or SW.
We'll continue to experiment and also see if a new SW revision is out.
Will keep the group in the loop.

cheers

Craig
Old 12-09-2008, 02:54 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Drove a C2 with PDK today

Well now I can answer my own question. Salesman at Dealer here in KL who l have been working with for several weeks on a possible Cayman purchase received a new 997 C2 with PDK. He offerred me a test drive as I am considering ordering an 09 Cayman with PDK. It wasn't a long drive but got to try varying conditions and think I got a good feel for it. A few thoughts- probably not new to anyone here... Shifts really fast. on the expressway found myself going up and down the gears just to feel how fast it changes- way cool. Didn't like the downshifting on the steering wheel buttons- felt awkward pushing from the back of the wheel. Probably would get used to it over time. Only real concern is that creeping along in traffic in 1st gear, which is inevitable in KL, there seemed be shuddering (clutch slip?) starting off. I think Tip is smoother in that regard. Any other conditions there's no comparison. Other thought is that after driving the base 997, not sure the S is worth the extra cost. IMHO of course
Old 12-09-2008, 09:23 AM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey Zedcat,
10 K is lot of money for the S if all you care is the motor but 911 S also gives ya PASM and 19 "wheels. When i drove them back to back The S motor was much torquey , more visceral sounding( base is very quiet under 5 K) , Also PASm Normal mode provided a smoother ride over base and 19" widers rubber gave better grip around corners.

I always bought 18" wheels and rubber including on my previous cayman S but the 19" rubber on 911 S provided extra traction and the look

The 3.8 motor impressed me a lot and got me excited much more than base but many are happy with base 911
Old 12-09-2008, 10:33 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Three pages of arguing the merits of various automatic transmission options on a P-car? What is this forum coming to?

6-speed FTW.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:22 PM
PMD 993
Pro

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Three pages of arguing the merits of various automatic transmission options on a P-car? What is this forum coming to?

6-speed FTW.
Have you driven a PDK equipped car? I was skeptical too but that was laid to rest after I took one for a test drive this past weekend. I was thoroughly impressed.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:06 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

To add to the discussion... some say the steering of PDK cars is numb, less communicative, than the same 997.2 with a standard manual. What do you think?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:23 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by casaforte9
Hey Zedcat,
10 K is lot of money for the S if all you care is the motor but 911 S also gives ya PASM and 19 "wheels. When i drove them back to back The S motor was much torquey , more visceral sounding( base is very quiet under 5 K) , Also PASm Normal mode provided a smoother ride over base and 19" widers rubber gave better grip around corners.

I always bought 18" wheels and rubber including on my previous cayman S but the 19" rubber on 911 S provided extra traction and the look

The 3.8 motor impressed me a lot and got me excited much more than base but many are happy with base 911
Yeah, I bought a 997.1 S over base and felt at the time the cost diff was justified. Just less convnced now for the 997.2. Would have to drive them back to back which I didn't do the other day.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:56 PM
mstams
Racer

but

PDK

cheers

Craig
Hate to bring this back up, but I wanted to check with other PDK owners (now that more cars are out there) to see if anyone else is experiencing the jerky shifting in and out of 1st as mentioned in this thread. I just passed 500 miles now, but I definitely can relate to the above comments. Other gear changes are silky smooth, and this may be normal for this transmission. Just wanted to compare notes...

Quick Reply: PDK in heavy traffic?