Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter 2008/2009 Snow Pictures - Share your pictures here!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:14 PM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Nice additions!

We have some snow "acoming" tonight. Perhaps more photo opportunities.
Go get them!!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 10:28 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Alrighty then, the snow is a flying and the Turbo is a...well...it's flying too.

I had an appointment this evening and when I left the car there was no snow to be seen, however upon my return about 1.5 hours later the car was covered with snow and we had a couple of inches everywhere. I guess those forecasters finally got one right.

All I can say is I love the way this thing handles in the snow. I love the Turbo AWD--when that rear starts to slide out a bit, I just give it gas and the front end simply pulls me straight again. Very impressive!

I took a few camera phone pictures and a couple more with my SLR once I got home. Hope you winter rats like the shots (the others may need therapy after looking at these pictures ):

Old 12-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoo-hoo! We had almost 5" of snow last night in Chicago and driving home (once most of the traffic had cleared) was an absolute blast! PSM on sport meant the back end got nice and loose. It's amazing how far it goes before PSM cuts in. Albeit in the snow it's at very low speeds. The whole thing made me want to do the Camp 4 the winter/snow driving course in Finland. The idea of driving a 911 on a frozen snow covered lake is amazing.

If you've got it enjoy it!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:17 AM
tkids
Pro

Good Job "INTHEAIR"/Stig! Looks like some pristine cold snow!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:18 AM
tkids
Pro

Originally Posted by Le Chef
Whoo-hoo! We had almost 5" of snow last night in Chicago and driving home (once most of the traffic had cleared) was an absolute blast! PSM on sport meant the back end got nice and loose. It's amazing how far it goes before PSM cuts in. Albeit in the snow it's at very low speeds. The whole thing made me want to do the Camp 4 the winter/snow driving course in Finland. The idea of driving a 911 on a frozen snow covered lake is amazing.

They have some spots open at Camp4 in Finland!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 04:25 PM
sdw999
Instructor

Originally Posted by Le Chef

Camp 4 was exactly what I was thinking about last night as I played "make your own lane" on a unplowed Lake Shore Drive around 6pm. My C2S never ceases to amaze me how well it performs in the snow(and dry pavement for that matter).

IN THE AIR-Are those 19s on your turbo, or 18s? The side walls looked like they might be 18s, but I can't tell with the turbo rims.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:57 PM
johnstoy
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by red996
I don't have a problem with the snow. IT'S THE GRAVEL THEY PUT DOWN ON THE ROADS THAT SANDBLASTS MY PAINT TO ****. I drive my Camry in this.
+1!!! You can tell when someone's clear bra has been on for a couple of seasons: it looks like it has been in a war! My 4Runner takes the abuse this time of year.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:14 PM
peachboy
Racer

Finally snowed in Ontario last night !
Going to play with my Massey Ferguson to clear the access road then on the fun with the C4S and its new winter tire......
Old 12-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Snow fun in Sammamish, Washington

The Pacific Northwest gives you occasional fun times in the snow.

Driving it back into the garage on a 5% sloped driveway was a tough task. Once stopped for a few minutes (to take the picture) on the grade, the wheels made nice ice patches under the tires. Getting started from that stop on the grade was a no-go.

I had to roll her down the driveway to the flat part at the road, and from there I got it moving easily enough and drove back into the garage without issue. So even with a Targa 4 and winter Mich. Pilot Alpin PA2's, starting from a stop on an icy incline is not happening. Time to toss some chains in the trunk in case of emergencies.

But while it lasted this morning, I took the 997.2 Targa 4 around the neighborhood up some 10% grade hills, and up and down some lesser slopes and had a blast. I'm still grinning. Even at 15-20 mph one can have a blast in these cars. Woohoo!

Now I did take out a yard waste bin on the roadside on the first turn I took, as all 4 wheels could not get purchase and I slide about 3 inches up a curb. Doh! But the car is no worse for the wear... it taught me the valuable lesson in the best way possible. However the Mom's in the neighborhood now think I'm a crazy nut for driving in the snow. That was at 4 inches... its now at 6" and climbing, and in the Puget Sound region, with our steep hills, that means, pack it in and stay inside. Time to hunker down.
Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2008, 05:07 PM
tkids
Pro

Originally Posted by Minok
The Pacific Northwest gives you occasional fun times in the snow.

Driving it back into the garage on a 5% sloped driveway was a tough task. Once stopped for a few minutes (to take the picture) on the grade, the wheels made nice ice patches under the tires. Getting started from that stop on the grade was a no-go.

I had to roll her down the driveway to the flat part at the road, and from there I got it moving easily enough and drove back into the garage without issue. So even with a Targa 4 and winter Mich. Pilot Alpin PA2's, starting from a stop on an icy incline is not happening. Time to toss some chains in the trunk in case of emergencies.

Be careful parking on any snow packed hill/slope. Your car can just start sliding on its own and you will be . I like the painted wheels!!
Old 12-18-2008, 05:17 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

No test drives today, eh Rob?
Old 12-19-2008, 02:47 AM
nicu
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's when the front lift comes handy
Attached Images   
Old 12-19-2008, 03:27 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got done snowblowing 12" of new snow since 7am this morning (7 hours). Needless to say, 12" of snow finally put a stop to the 997TT.....well, I guess I could have gone out and made money plowing the streets.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
No test drives today, eh Rob?
Heh - not 911s, sure was fun shuffling them around the lot for the Bobcat though.

Quick Reply: Winter 2008/2009 Snow Pictures - Share your pictures here!