2009 997S handling

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 11:11 AM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by _Nathan
Two possible causes:
1) Some people have reported that brand new tires can exhibit "tire squirm" and that handling improves as tires wear down a bit. Your new 997S makes a lot more power than your old 964 which could make this effect more noticeable.
2) Or you may have an alignment problem.
+1 Try changing your tire inflation to front 33psi, rear 39psi and see if it helps.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How?

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
One of the first things I did when I bought my 997S was to have the traction control system disabled for good. I think that letting to tail wag is one of the best parts of driving a Porsche. I've been driving them for 30 years, and I still smile from them.
Would love to know how you disabled PSM permanently.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the 'dum dum' things first. Tire pressures. Alignments ect.

The new 997mkII puts power down very quickly and I've noticed she likes to kick out a little bit more then the mkI 997.

But for it to be compared as less tight then a GTi??? I think the 997mkII is vastly improved for the super car it really is.

I just don't understand- could you elaborate more please?
Old 11-13-2008, 11:31 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

In a rwd rear engined 385 hp car, applying power while in a turn is going to get the *** out. The C4 would move the power to the front when this happens.
The steering should feel light but still should feel tight and twitchy like it will obey your every input.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:26 PM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

I'll ask my shop guys how they did it, but I never worry about warranty issues, my car was taken apart, parts removed, parts remade, parts added. I knew this was going to be my last 911 and I wanted it done exactly to my specs.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by lockmk
Guys,

I'm new to the forum and could do with some advice. I recently took delivery of a beautiful new 997S and have accumulated about 1000 miles in it in OR and CA. It is my first P car since owning a 92 Carrera 4 and, aside from the obvious improvement in creature comforts and power, I have a nagging concern.
It is feeling like it 'moves around' a bit in curves, particularly under power, in a way I would not expect for a P car. My recollection of my 964 was that the steering was tight, heavy and very linear. This new one does not even feel as tight as the VW GTI I have been running around in for the last couple of years.
Have they softened the handling and loosened the steering up in an attempt to widen the appeal, does mine have something wrong with it, or am I simply imagining it? Tire pressures look fine and I'm sure the standard rubber is a well specified match to the car. Ideas? First hand experiences with a 2009 997S from any of you that support or refute this? Thanks.
You're making a poor comparison. You stated that you owned a 1992 Carrera 4 which handles significantly different than a 2WD 997. The 964's handling should have been seen as tight and heavy as you had another differential up front on that car,--the 997 is significantly lighter in that regard. How many years and miles did you accumulate on the 1992? Perhaps you got so set that a "911" feels that way that your experience in the 997 has altered you perception of what a rear-engined car should feel like. If this is truly your first experience at driving a rear wheel drive only 911 then you are in for a change in handling,--that's normal. I find it considerably more tossable in the curves where I use a little bit of trailing throttle oversteer to point the car. Much of this can also be attributed to our inability to accurately describe in words what we are experiencing. I've been a 911 owner since the mid-70s and have amassed nearly 300,000 miles in them. I currently have 32,000 miles on my 06 997S and find it enjoyable to drive iwth linked turns,--nearly like slalom skiing!

Tire pressures can make a big difference. I start my day with 33/39 and with alignment specs within the factory recommendations. Of course, you can expect some squirm out of brand new tires,--but you should already know that.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer techs as software experts?

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
I'll ask my shop guys how they did it, but I never worry about warranty issues, my car was taken apart, parts removed, parts remade, parts added. I knew this was going to be my last 911 and I wanted it done exactly to my specs.
I still don;t understand how they did it. The electronics that control traction, PSM and ABS are so deep in the system that you would need a pretty serious programmer with Porsche + Bosch software knowledge to do that.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:54 PM
rvklein
Racer

In a rwd rear engined 385 hp car, applying power while in a turn is going to get the *** out.
I haven't raced or taken any DE courses but it was my understanding that you SHOULD apply power in a turn after breaking into it to plant those rears....
Old 11-13-2008, 02:12 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rvklein
I haven't raced or taken any DE courses but it was my understanding that you SHOULD apply power in a turn after breaking into it to plant those rears....
You apply only enough throttle to balance the car. It should be enough so the car isn't slowing down or speeding up.

Applying to little or too much will cause the car to rotate in one way or the other. (Throttle steering)
Old 11-13-2008, 03:03 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

"Apply power" in a turn means you do not unload the rear axle. It does not mean you floor it... which can very well put you sideways. Finesse is the name of the game. The throttle is an analog rheostat not a binary lever.

Last edited by ADias; 11-13-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:06 PM
rvklein
Racer

"Apply power" in a turn means you do not unload the rear axle. It does not mean you fllor it... which can very well put you sideways.
I understood that which led me to my question about the comment, "applying power while in a turn is going to get the *** out".
Old 11-13-2008, 03:17 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

I understood that which led me to my question about the comment, "applying power while in a turn is going to get the *** out".
yes, I should have said too much power.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:21 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

As you state, you understand that applying power in a turn is a matter of degree. Many however, have no clue. A lot of hot sports cars drivers I hear about are binary throttle operators. and crash soon after getting a powerful sports car.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:07 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
As you state, you understand that applying power in a turn is a matter of degree. Many however, have no clue. A lot of hot sports cars drivers I hear about are binary throttle operators. and crash soon after getting a powerful sports car.
+1; Or as Ross Bentley would say, you "squeeze" (apply under control and progressively) throttle or braking inputs
Old 11-13-2008, 05:25 PM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

My shop has the progamer, and they had to alter many of the cars systems. I guess I was not real clear my car spent over 4 months apart we had parts remade using lighter materials and other parts removed and new one fabricated. If you want to do something bad enough and cost is no option, you can do an aweful lot.

Quick Reply: 2009 997S handling