Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re: 2006 BMW M5

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008 | 06:27 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Lightbulb Re: 2006 BMW M5

I figured I'd post here because I think this thread would get lost in all the OT political crapola...

Client traded in a 20k 06 M5 w/ SMG; and figured I never really get a chance to drive one on an 'extended' test drive- you know those damn sales guyzzz, never letting you take onen out on your own!

Anywho- I was really surprised by a couple things. First off; the interior. It's ****. Compared to an E63, or even an RS4 the interior felt like a cheesy 3 series. Squeeks, rattles. Just not liking the materials.

It had a HUD. Pretty cool feature. I liked it a lot more then I thought I would. A litte distracting at first- but I did find it useful when hunting for gears. It also kept me aware of the car was a little too cold before I romped on her. So that was a plus.

SMG- I know it's been written about to death- so I'll toss in my .02 worth. It's very tempermental if you don't 'do it' right. "creeping" is an option it doesn't like and it needs to be feathered ...oh so right....otherwise she'll buck a little bit. I felt (for me) the best scenario was on 'power' mode with the 'full bars' showing = Giving you 500hp w/ the quickest shifts. I liked how I could 'heel and toe' for my own throttle blip-or it'll do it in my absense. I felt cheated at low RPM cos she didnt' have a lot of get up and go right out of the box- and worse- she sounded like some weird machine. At more RPM- I have to admit. I love the way that V10 sounded. I like it. Like a machine, but with a soul.

The SMG isn't a PDK; but hopefully BMW's new PDK equivelant is better.

Handling was pretty darn cool. I liked it. Ride was that 'BMW' harsh. Weird sounding I know- but I feel the 911's harsh ride is much better 'muted' and isn't so 'rough'. Dunno, call me crazy. LOL

She did feel heavy at times; but overall I really enjoyed it's 'ride'. I LOVED the gauges in front of you- tach and speedo- I HATE THE REST OF THE INTERIOR. blech!!

I guess if I wasn't in the bizz, and was seeking a low mileage super sedan. I'd think about picking one up. plenty out there; as the market is DEAD DEAD DEAD on that car.

I just wish it offered an interior like the E63. What a package that would be.

And hands down the M5 is the best looking 5 series.

Oh yeah. one more thing.

i flipping HATE the idrive. -that won't change. bastids!!
Old 11-05-2008 | 06:44 PM
turboporsche996
Intermediate

Traded a 996TT for one, after 8 other Porsches. I just traded the M5 on a 08 997S. NO REGRETS as the add says .........PORSCHE THERE'S NO SUBSTIUTE.
Old 11-05-2008 | 06:55 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by turboporsche996
Traded a 996TT for one, after 8 other Porsches. I just traded the M5 on a 08 997S. NO REGRETS as the add says .........PORSCHE THERE'S NO SUBSTIUTE.
My client (and I, of course) agree with you!

He traded his 993 Turbo and his 06 M5 for the new C4S Launch car w/ PDK.
Old 11-05-2008 | 06:57 PM
996FourEss
Instructor

M5 is a great car, but.... the V10 was driven by marketing not engineering. The engine is too heavy (I know they say it is lighter than the old V8, but think how much lighter they could have made a new V8) and absolutely drinks the go fast juice. Also driven by the fact that the car is just too damn heavy at 4000+ pounds. Also, has the horrible single piston brakes which fade after heavy use. Unfortuantely, somewhere along the way (when they switched to 3.0 and 4.0 V8s over straight sixes) the marketing guys startign triumphing over the engineering guys and now they have a lot of work to do to get back to their roots.
Old 11-05-2008 | 07:00 PM
996FourEss
Instructor

Chris, 993 turbo plus 06 M5 for a 4S. Wow, M5 must be almost worthless (read ca. 50% depreciation) cause I assume the 993 turbo was around 60 for trade if in decent knick or have prices for 993s started to come back as well?
Old 11-05-2008 | 07:45 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
I figured I'd post here because I think this thread would get lost in all the OT political crapola...

Client traded in a 20k 06 M5 w/ SMG; and figured I never really get a chance to drive one on an 'extended' test drive- you know those damn sales guyzzz, never letting you take onen out on your own!

Anywho- I was really surprised by a couple things. First off; the interior. It's ****. Compared to an E63, or even an RS4 the interior felt like a cheesy 3 series. Squeeks, rattles. Just not liking the materials.

It had a HUD. Pretty cool feature. I liked it a lot more then I thought I would. A litte distracting at first- but I did find it useful when hunting for gears. It also kept me aware of the car was a little too cold before I romped on her. So that was a plus.

SMG- I know it's been written about to death- so I'll toss in my .02 worth. It's very tempermental if you don't 'do it' right. "creeping" is an option it doesn't like and it needs to be feathered ...oh so right....otherwise she'll buck a little bit. I felt (for me) the best scenario was on 'power' mode with the 'full bars' showing = Giving you 500hp w/ the quickest shifts. I liked how I could 'heel and toe' for my own throttle blip-or it'll do it in my absense. I felt cheated at low RPM cos she didnt' have a lot of get up and go right out of the box- and worse- she sounded like some weird machine. At more RPM- I have to admit. I love the way that V10 sounded. I like it. Like a machine, but with a soul.

The SMG isn't a PDK; but hopefully BMW's new PDK equivelant is better.

Handling was pretty darn cool. I liked it. Ride was that 'BMW' harsh. Weird sounding I know- but I feel the 911's harsh ride is much better 'muted' and isn't so 'rough'. Dunno, call me crazy. LOL

She did feel heavy at times; but overall I really enjoyed it's 'ride'. I LOVED the gauges in front of you- tach and speedo- I HATE THE REST OF THE INTERIOR. blech!!

I guess if I wasn't in the bizz, and was seeking a low mileage super sedan. I'd think about picking one up. plenty out there; as the market is DEAD DEAD DEAD on that car.

I just wish it offered an interior like the E63. What a package that would be.

And hands down the M5 is the best looking 5 series.

Oh yeah. one more thing.

i flipping HATE the idrive. -that won't change. bastids!!
Thanks for the post.

I absolutely hate I Drive as well and my two experiences with SMG (M3 and M5) mirrored yours. It's quick when you're hammering it. But it blows chunks in most real word driving. Never mind the fact that it left me cold. I don't care if it's slower in magazine racing, I actually still prefer a third pedal.
Old 11-05-2008 | 09:27 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by 996FourEss
Chris, 993 turbo plus 06 M5 for a 4S. Wow, M5 must be almost worthless (read ca. 50% depreciation) cause I assume the 993 turbo was around 60 for trade if in decent knick or have prices for 993s started to come back as well?
ha ha!! Wow you're spot on!!! Actually his 993 Turbo was worth mid 50's- but I'm not scared of that car. I put $60k into it...that car will rebound come spring.

and the M5?? .....$42k was the MOST any wholesaler/BMW dealership would pay me for it..... what the fu**? ouch!!

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Thanks for the post.

I absolutely hate I Drive as well and my two experiences with SMG (M3 and M5) mirrored yours. It's quick when you're hammering it. But it blows chunks in most real word driving. Never mind the fact that it left me cold. I don't care if it's slower in magazine racing, I actually still prefer a third pedal.
....blows chucks....now that's a friggin riot!
Old 11-05-2008 | 10:49 PM
jgolf53
AutoX

Default My '06 M5 is going in december!

I should have my C4S coupe by then...on order for 6 months - my 3rd 911 Porsche....can't wait.

I must admit I have mixed feeling about my M5; hate the SMG, no real get up and go till about 40 mph unless you red line constantly. 50 to 90 mph it is a real rocket. It is a muscle car... I prefer a sports car. I disagree with other comments on fit and finish. I have full leather and it is excellent.

cheers,
j
Old 11-06-2008 | 11:35 AM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Wow, Looking at Manheim numbers for the M5. Buy It Now numbers for a pristine 06' M5 with 30k miles is in the mid 40's. Good for someone looking to buy, bad if you need to unload one.
Old 11-06-2008 | 11:58 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by ajayabb
Wow, Looking at Manheim numbers for the M5. Buy It Now numbers for a pristine 06' M5 with 30k miles is in the mid 40's. Good for someone looking to buy, bad if you need to unload one.
I know it. I was thinking.....(I'm gonig to hell for thinking this...) but next year I could pick one up dirt cheap....

For the money it's a great car.
Old 11-06-2008 | 12:02 PM
GHills
Instructor

BMW has completely jumped the shark IMO.

The previous gen cars had conservative styling inside and out. A bit like porsche and tuxedoes....no need to change for the sake of change.

The new bmw's are just terrible. The exterior styling is ridiculous (all IMO) As the OP points out the worst mistakes are on the inside.All the swoopy armrests, goofy i-drives, double hump dash, brutal.

I've been in about ten of the new design 5 series. I always put my elbow on the center stack to swing my butt into the seat. Each time I've done this in each of these new or new-ish cars, the stack has creaked. Brutal. Maybe if it was my car it would take a "set" after doing it a hundred times......

BMW now reminds me of corvettes. You want to like them......all the stupid little obvious errors where you say wtf! why did they try to save 40 cents there!?

Finally I believe the crap resale is at least in part due to all the new over-electronics. Anyone who owns a new gen 5 or 7 out of warranty has got to be a full masochist.
Old 11-06-2008 | 01:33 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

I wanted an M6 so badly when it came out. That car has ended up being everything it shouldn't have been. Fat, kinda slow for 55 hosses, heavy, ugly, WTF happened to the BMW soul that was always there?

That said I do think the new M3 is a very, very, very good car. Still hate the current 5 series. I had the previous E39 540, and it was an incredible car. The E60....puke.
Old 11-06-2008 | 03:28 PM
bucking
Instructor

As they say say, opinions are like a**holes -- everybody has one. So here's mine (opinion, that is). I have a '91 964 turbo and a '02 996 turbo. Both cars with a number of modifications, including Ruf suspensions etc. Also have a '07 BMW Z4M and, the subject matter of this thread, a '06 BMW E60 M5. All of these cars are different tools intended for differenct tasks. Having said all of that, I happen to really enjoy my M5. The other cars are great too. But the M5 is a four door sedan that lets me carry other people in comfort with high performance in a conservative package. It's an entertaining car that imposes its own unique requirements on the driver. Frankly, I like that. I've driven the new PDK Porsche transmission in the 997.5 Carrera; the MDCT transmission in the new M3; and the DSG transmission in my son's VW GTI All of these new twin shaft/clutch transmissions are great and quite smooth. The SMG transmission in the E60 M5 requires more of the driver. But, having said that, when driven properly, it is, in my opinion, a great transmission and I, for one, love it. It takes commitment; it is an acquired taste. As said, I like it. Same with I Drive. I think it works GREAT and it permits the removal of many tiny little buttons and switches from the dash. Yes, it has a learning curve. But, once it's learned, it works great. Hey, if you are a car nut, learning new functions is part of the game. If you want rental car simplicity, the M5 is not your kind of car. I love Porsches and I have owned a buch of them; I hope I can continue to do so. But, one of the things I did not like about the 997 series of Porsche cars was the vast number of tiny buttons on the dash board. Personal preference. Hey, the M5 isn't a sports car it is a heavy 4-door sedan. Don't confuse the two. But it is an entertaining car. I have had mine for close to 3 years and I have had no problems with what is objectively a very complex car. That is one of its long-term disadvantages. Would I buy it again? Yes, in a heartbeat. It's been fun. I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to experience it. Some days a small sports car is the ticket; at other times I want to drive a car like the M5. If you don't like SMG or I Drive, don't get the car. It's pretty much that simple.
Old 11-06-2008 | 03:42 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I wish it was that simple. It's like women. If you prefer small, or large *****. or great legs. or a great bum.

Sometimes you dont always get everything you want; but two outta three ain't bad. **** for mid $40's, I'm thinking of this M5 for myself.

Seriously.
Old 11-06-2008 | 04:02 PM
bucking
Instructor

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
I wish it was that simple. It's like women. If you prefer small, or large *****. or great legs. or a great bum.

Sometimes you dont always get everything you want; but two outta three ain't bad. **** for mid $40's, I'm thinking of this M5 for myself.

Seriously.
Yes, it is that simple. Don't overthink it. If you have come to terms with the car and its features (in this case, others seem particularly concerned about SMG, I Drive, or whatever) [your boob, butt and/or leg factor] and the price is right, do the deal if you like the car. The M5 is unique amoung its likely competitors, such as MB E63. Stated another way, if you like the car buy it if the price point is where you are comfortable. Otherwise, don't do the deal. Aren't you in the business of selling cars? You know if a car represents value to you. If it does, get off the dime and do the deal.

Quick Reply: Re: 2006 BMW M5