Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re: 2006 BMW M5

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 04:04 PM
bucking
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post script: I don't know how I stuck that little "head banging" image in the last message. Wish my computer had I Drive; too damn many little buttons on my computer.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bucking
Yes, it is that simple. Don't overthink it. If you have come to terms with the car and its features (in this case, others seem particularly concerned about SMG, I Drive, or whatever) [your boob, butt and/or leg factor] and the price is right, do the deal if you like the car. The M5 is unique amoung its likely competitors, such as MB E63. Stated another way, if you like the car buy it if the price point is where you are comfortable. Otherwise, don't do the deal. Aren't you in the business of selling cars? You know if a car represents value to you. If it does, get off the dime and do the deal.
Buck- you're missing my point.

My point was only to post my experience w/ the beloved M5. That's all. Just talking to my RL peeps as I've been known to do.

And I agree; it's either a value or not; you either want it or not. Pass or go. I get it.

I'm not harping on the M5. She is what she izzzzz.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Question Okay, here's a question for ya

Would you buy this 23k sweet M5 for $46 and think it's a good deal if you're only going to put maybe -/+10k more on it?

This is a sincere question. car is perfect. I think it'll be worth mid to low 30's in two years.

So on a 5 year finance you'd effectively have at 'bout 5-6-7 grand in equity...

M5 could drop THAT much more..............could it? LOL

car has 15 months of warranty left on it.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:33 AM
bucking
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Likemystoppie: We're in agreement. I like the M5 but, like many such cars today, its residual value is dropping like a rock. Clearly, the big depreciation hit has occurred. In "normal" times, the depreciation curve would be at least starting to flatten out. But, these aren't normal times. Today, I think it's like catching a falling knife. I'm personally concerned that the value of many of these cars will really drop in value as the economy continues to deteriorate. Plus, a 2006 M5 probably only has about a year of warranty left; M cars, especially the E60 M5, can be VERY expensive cars to maintain as they age. I would probably not buy such a car today UNLESS i knew the car and I really REALLy liked it. Otherwise, it's likely (using your T & A metaphor) a pretty costly "one night stand."
Old 11-07-2008, 09:47 AM
P1-EH
Intermediate

I have an M5, and am turning it in at the end of my lease. I'm getting my first Pcar (05 C2S Cab)!

The M5 was a spectacular car. I enjoyed it the most during a cross country drive from Waterloo to California and back. The magical 'M' button makes a huge difference in the car. You can drive it in "automatic" but I would highly discourage that. I'd also discourage running it in anything less than SMG mode 5 (6 is only available with traction control disabled). The lower gearbox settings give you too much lag and mushy-ness.

P500 is a must. When you switch from P400 to P500 while driving at a constant speed, you feel an immediate mini-burst of acceleration.

iDrive is a bit annoying, but I largely ignore it other than using the Nav system. The HUD display is cool, and useful for red-line shifting or making sure you're speed isn't "impound-worthy".

I went through rear tires every summer (with <5k miles/summer usually). I've tracked the car, and for a big, heavy car, it was great fun. The power and gearbox really made it a fun car to bomb around a track.

I'll miss it, for sure. But I'm pretty sure I'll be even happier with the C2S.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:31 AM
GHills
Instructor

Stoppie:

Run away from that pos

The old 5 series cars have more electronics than a 911. I have a 540 which is out of warranty. It has more than its share of electronic quirks, but its otherwise reliable. Unlike the new 5's, it is also utterly solid and squeak free.

The new 5's have roughly triple the electronic gizmos of the old ones. 15 months from now, out of warranty, you would have to find someone very dumb (IMO) to take that thing off your hands. Don't go there.

(Plus what angle can you walk up to the car without seeing either the edna headlights or the frowning taillights? Answer: none)

Quick Reply: Re: 2006 BMW M5