Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Train wreck in Germany damages 18 new 997 - no injuries

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

I'd bet those cars will be crushed. They won't be fixed. I doubt they'll even be cannibalized for parts.
Huge risk to let one of those cars go to a customer who later finds out it was in a train wreck.
There's plenty of insurance on the shipment of cars. It's actually cheaper to "total" them than it is to mess with 'em.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Porsche is entitled to the full wholesale value of the damaged cars (the price they would get from dealers)...
If that is the case, Porsche will profit from this incident. They will still be fulfilling their dealers' allocations with replacement cars and receiving the same profit they would have, plus receiving profit on the damaged cars.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:06 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
If that is the case, Porsche will profit from this incident. They will still be fulfilling their dealers' allocations with replacement cars and receiving the same profit they would have, plus receiving profit on the damaged cars.
The insurance likely will only cover the claimed value of the damaged cars - the wholesale value - and won't likely cover the costs associated with processing the claims and costs associated with discarding the damaged cars. Those costs will have to be expensed somewhere, and that somewhere will likely be the expected profits from the cars. There's also the time value of money to take into account. It may take the insurance some time to pay Porsche for the loss, whereas dealers will be invoiced upon delivery.

So it would be a stretch to say Porsche is profiting from this accident. They'll be content, I'm sure, to break even; i.e. not suffer a loss because of an unfortunate accident that was no fault of theirs.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:12 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You must have a short memory ...

BMW was caught repairing heavily damaged cars and reselling them as NEW in the US three years ago.

Porsche will do the same thing if they think they can get away with it... all about maximizing profit...

Originally Posted by dianic
you realise it is likely that some of these cars will end up with unsuspecting buyers!!! Dont want to think about that... Lets find out where those cars were going can we??
Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
whoa! slowwww down partner!! LOL

Last edited by FlatSix911; 11-05-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:22 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
I would take one of the engines, shame to recycle those!!!!!!
Yeah that is what I was thinking too. I could use an extra set of wheels and I am positive the brake pads and rotors where not damaged. Porsche could send a few sets to me!....ha ha I freakin' WISH!
Old 11-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
BMW was caught repairing heavily damaged cars and reselling them as NEW in the US three years ago.
You sure about that?

There was an absurd amount awarded a decade or so ago as a result of BMW not disclosing repair work done on a vehicle damaged in transit, but the car was not heavily damaged; the issue was disclosure (which they now do diligently), not negligently selling heavily damaged vehicles.

Unless I've missed something more recently...

Edit: Here's a link to the case:

http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Jan/1/127699.html
Old 11-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You must have a short memory ... BMW was caught repairing heavily damaged cars and reselling them as NEW in the US three years ago. Porsche will do the same thing if they think they can get away with it... all about maximizing profit...
Hmmm... do you have a link or something? I think you may be confusing the Gore case and the Courage incident.
Attached Images   
Old 11-06-2008, 01:46 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It was those new LED taillights! They blinded the train behind that one!
Old 11-06-2008, 12:32 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Da Hapa

BTW - nice avatar JohnnyBahamas!
+1....
Old 11-06-2008, 03:17 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
Why doesn't Porsche cover the whole car with film, like Audi does.
My wife and I toured the factory on October 15th. While we were waiting for our tour several cars were driven from the line past the museum. The cars had several different layers of protection, from none at all, which I would guess would be factory delivery cars, to totally covered with film and blocks of blue foam on the fronts and sides.

We also saw a Panamera about 25 kilometers south of Sttutgart. It was still covered with plastic cladding and tape camo. We were unable to take a picture
but the car that passed us was similar to the pic we have senn over the past year.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:54 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by texas911
Why doesn't Porsche cover the whole car with film, like Audi does.
I dont think that would have made difference here.
But you're right they should.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:46 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Am Sure the porsches will be salvaged. Insurance company own it now and not Porsche. It may not reach US or European shore, but it may end up in Latin America or Asia as used cars.... Corporate greed will not trash such high priced objects.. Maybe Mazda because it's soaked in Salt water and on American Soil. Most likely body panels damages, little bondo here and there, no one will know...
Old 11-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

You must have a short memory ...

Porsche will do the same thing if they think they can get away with it... all about maximizing profit...
I would think the DEALER would reject the car upon inspection.

Fer F's sakes I WOULD. It's not worth it. And the typical Porsche owner is a WEEEE bit brighter then the average BMW owner.

Sorry. But it's true.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:27 PM
welbo
Intermediate

Actually it take more effort, time and money to repair a badly damaged car like in the above than built a brand new one from factory. Beside insurance pay out, it will be dumb for Porsche to actually want to repair those cars.

Quick Reply: Train wreck in Germany damages 18 new 997 - no injuries