Sponsored by:

PDK ergonomic shift paddles 997

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 03:10 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Matias_S
Since you seem too lazy to click on a link and read the source, here is one clipping from the article.
Steering wheel weight diff is not the issue, as you first argued. Now... steering wheel thickness does indeed change the tactile feedback, but that is an all other argument.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:13 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I read your article and what you first said compared to the article makes ZERO sence!
I am not going to argue with you anymore on this as you first claim the PDK wheel will feel less sensative due to the PDK shifters weighting down the wheel then you post a picture of a Ferrari wheel with chit all over it claiming the Ferrari wheel will be more sensative. Huh? Geesh! What the F are you trying to freakin' say?

You can now go argue and spin it all around with yourself. See ya!

I have presented a differing opinion from independent car journalists and racing drivers. You state opinions without anything to back them up => your arguments carry no weight whatsoever…

I have presented a differing opinion from independent car journalists and racing drivers. Until you come up with some independent supporting argumentation your statement is exactly “boll*cks”

Again, this is not my opinion! I brought up for discussion the viewpoint of an article… Additionally, I have never said anything about any complexity; the steering wheels are so simple that if anyone finds them confusing this person must be somehow impaired or disabled. I brought up for discussion the point that the PDK steering wheel could loose out in steering feel to the normal steering wheel, due to weight, materials and ergonomics.

You want to bring up the F1 wheel? Sure is a good comparison. The F1 wheel has a grip with a suede like surface, it is rather thin so its easy to grip and guess what, it uses paddles…

I have to say that you make no sense at all…

Since you seem too lazy to click on a link and read the source, here is one clipping from the article.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Matias_S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I read your article and what you first said compared to the article makes ZERO sence!
I am not going to argue with you anymore on this as you first claim the PDK wheel will feel less sensative due to the PDK shifters weighting down the wheel then you post a picture of a Ferrari wheel with chit all over it claiming the Ferrari wheel will be more sensative. Huh? Geesh! What the F are you trying to freakin' say?

You can now go argue and spin it all around with yourself. See ya!
You should go back to school for reading/spelling 101. I did not post a pic of any Ferrari wheel, someone else did...

For F...s sake it is not complicated! If you cannot comprehend that gripping a big lump of shiny plastic = PDK wheel does not have the same tactile feel as gripping a thin leather or alcantara covered steering wheel = e.g. Ferrari, then whatever dude...

All of my posts are in line with the article, but if you cannot make sense of this then the problem is all yours... If you stay away, good riddance, your contributions have so far amounted to ZERO!
Old 11-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Matias_S
Instructor

Originally Posted by ADias
Steering wheel weight diff is not the issue, as you first argued. Now... steering wheel thickness does indeed change the tactile feedback, but that is an all other argument.
Fair enough, I might have written too much about the weight, however, I did from the beginning also mention the thickness and ergonomics of the wheel as well (see quotes below). To state that I only argued weight is unfair and inaccurate.
...how you can easily grab the steering wheel...
...add two rather large contraptions to it, right at the points where you grab the wheel...
...The F1 wheel has a grip with a suede like surface, it is rather thin so its easy to grip...
Old 11-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Matias- do you own a Ferrari? Or a Porsche?
Old 11-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Matias_S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Matias- do you own a Ferrari? Or a Porsche?
I own two Porsches. Why do you ask and do you own any?
Old 11-09-2008, 01:20 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Matias, if you really own a Porsche then you would see that the Porsche wheel is covered in leather. The Ferrari wheel you mention is not full leather. Oh yeah you can also get the Porsche wheel with carbon fiber on it too...for that plastic thing you mention.

Since you have not spent any time with the PDK wheel you would see the PDK paddles are not large contraptions like you mention.

They are actually smaller than the Ferrari paddles and they are always right there at your finger tips UNLIKE the Ferrari paddles.

The F1 paddles you mention are also part of the F1 wheel and are always right there with the racers fingers. Seems to me that Ferrari got it all wrong on their street cars.

Now for actual track use this is a very very F'n mute point. On the track I wear gloves, Sparco Waves as a matter of fact and they have little shock absorbing white furfaces to absorb the vibrations and provide better grip.

Now go stick your head in the sand you have over there!
Old 11-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Matias_S
Instructor

Matias, if you really own a Porsche then you would see that the Porsche wheel is covered in leather. The Ferrari wheel you mention is not full leather. Oh yeah you can also get the Porsche wheel with carbon fiber on it too...for that plastic thing you mention.
Hey, Mr. I-am-not-playing-with-you-anymore is back!!! What a cool insinuation; "if you really own a Porsche". Whatever; you wan't to call me out? Lets make a bet: 5000€ says I own a Porsche. Care to put your money where your mouth is? And yes the part of my steering wheel which I hold is leather, the rest plastic.

...The F1 paddles you mention are also part of the F1 wheel and are always right there with the racers fingers. Seems to me that Ferrari got it all wrong on their street cars.
F1 paddles are behind the wheel, not part the wheel grip surface. Big difference...

Now go stick your head in the sand you have over there!
The aggression and lack of civility you show defending an ergonomic solution which is widely questioned, makes me wonder what really weird thoughts and beliefs you have...
Old 11-09-2008, 05:00 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Hey, Mr. I-am-not-playing-with-you-anymore is back!!! What a cool insinuation; "if you really own a Porsche". Whatever; you wan't to call me out? Lets make a bet: 5000€ says I own a Porsche. Care to put your money where your mouth is? And yes the part of my steering wheel which I hold is leather, the rest plastic.

F1 paddles are behind the wheel, not part the wheel grip surface. Big difference...

The aggression and lack of civility you show defending an ergonomic solution which is widely questioned, makes me wonder what really weird thoughts and beliefs you have...
No chit know it all...the F1 paddles are part of the wheel right where the racers finger are yes they turn with the wheel like I mentioned before...nothing like the street Ferrari where the paddles do not turn with the wheel.

Geesh, maybe I should say I am sorry because your understanding of English is bad.

You mention ergonomic solution to the PDK paddles you obviously hate so bad but yet have never driven a PDK car...so tell us all Mr. Right what you propose? Or send my my 5000 euro's big shot.

Last edited by mdrums; 11-09-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Missed the point.

I have presented a differing opinion from independent car journalists and racing drivers. Until you come up with some independent supporting argumentation your statement is exactly “boll*cks”
I have to say that you make no sense at all…
You missed the point. Re-read the thread.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:04 AM
Matias_S
Instructor

No chit know it all...the F1 paddles are part of the wheel right where the racers finger are yes they turn with the wheel like I mentioned before...nothing like the street Ferrari where the paddles do not turn with the wheel.
I never said anything about the paddles turning or not turning with the wheel. I said that the F1 paddles ARE NOT on the grip surface, they are behind the grip. What part of this do you not understand?

Geesh, maybe I should say I am sorry because your understanding of English is bad.
Hey Mr. English Major; some spelling clues for you;
"sence" should be "sense"
"sensative" should be "sensitive"
"furfaces" should be "surfaces"
"weighting down" should be "weighing down"
"send my my 5000 euro's" should be "send me my Euros"
That's just your last three posts, I can go on ad nauseam... Your credibility as a judge on understanding of the English language is ZERO and your own understanding of the English language is questionable.

You mention ergonomic solution to the PDK paddles you obviously hate so bad but yet have never driven a PDK car... …
What on earth is wrong with you? Why would I hate PDK paddles? When have I ever said that I do hate them?

I do not hate PDK paddles; I wanted to present another viewpoint on them. Obviously you LOVE the PDK paddles so much that any criticism of them is taken as a personal insult. I really do wonder what kind of life you lead if criticism of something as trivial as a steering wheel upsets your life this much?
Old 11-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I really do wonder what kind of life you lead if criticism of something as trivial as a steering wheel upsets your life this much?

Matias; I wonder if you could take your own advice. Just b/c someone engages you in a certain way doesn't mean that you MUST engage them at every single corner.

We all get your point(s). Just cool off bro.

Peace.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:10 AM
mdrums
Race Director

I do not hate PDK paddles; I wanted to present another viewpoint on them. Obviously you LOVE the PDK paddles so much that any criticism of them is taken as a personal insult. I really do wonder what kind of life you lead if criticism of something as trivial as a steering wheel upsets your life this much?
Whatever...you came on here criticizing the PDK wheel saying "the PDK paddles would take away from the ultimate feel"...whatever that meant...see post #32.

likemystoppie and I both gave you a chance to explain yourself which you never did. Other cars in the market have way more going on with the steering wheel than the simple PDK wheel. I referenced the F1 racing wheel as F1 would never sacrifice steering feel with addition of buttons on a wheel and likemystoppie showed you pictures of the street Ferrari.

You are arguing with yourself because no one seems to understand what you are really trying to say and then when someone comments to you on your post you get all bent out of shape.

Everyone I am done with this post, will no longer further reply to this post.

SEE YA!
Old 11-10-2008, 02:02 PM
996FourEss
Instructor

You guys have got to take things a little easier, this is crazy escalation ......
Old 11-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FourEss
You guys have got to take things a little easier, this is crazy escalation ......
Yea, I was reading this w/my wife last night and we were L(our)AO.

Quick Reply: PDK ergonomic shift paddles 997