Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK ergonomic shift paddles 997

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:57 AM
lgascoig
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One reason why, if you're crusing around town (straight) you can drive the car in manual mode with one hand.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Matias_S
Instructor

When driving the car hard, all the buttons and stuff on the wheel will take away from ultimate feel of what the front wheels are doing. This is the opinion of a few enthusiasts that I respect, who have driven the 997.2 with and without PDK.

Having a 'plain' steering wheel with paddles would benefit the road feel and still allow you to effectively use the PDK.

If you want a car to shift onehanded while cruising, it will not matter one way or another.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Matias_S
When driving the car hard, all the buttons and stuff on the wheel will take away from ultimate feel of what the front wheels are doing. This is the opinion of a few enthusiasts that I respect, who have driven the 997.2 with and without PDK.

Having a 'plain' steering wheel with paddles would benefit the road feel and still allow you to effectively use the PDK.

If you want a car to shift onehanded while cruising, it will not matter one way or another.
Wouldn't the wheel of the 599 and 430 such as this contradict the 'enthusiasts points of view?

As opposed to the wheel of the PDK w/o multi funciton buttons?

I'm confused. If simplicity is the winner- by definition the PDK wins. No? (here comes the snow ballz LOL)
Attached Images   
Old 11-08-2008, 01:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

How in the heck does the pdk paddles on the wheel affect the feel on the steering? Really weird thoughts and beliefs you have .
Old 11-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Matias_S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Wouldn't the wheel of the 599 and 430 such as this contradict the 'enthusiasts points of view?

As opposed to the wheel of the PDK w/o multi funciton buttons?

I'm confused. If simplicity is the winner- by definition the PDK wins. No? (here comes the snow ballz LOL)
It has nothing to do with simplicity/complexity. It has to do with weight on the steering rim and how you can easily grab the steering wheel. Look at your own pictures, the Ferrari steering wheel is light, with no extra weight on it.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Matias_S
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by mdrums
How in the heck does the pdk paddles on the wheel affect the feel on the steering? Really weird thoughts and beliefs you have .
Ok, lets take an exaggeration to illustrate the point. Take a lightweight steering wheel and consider the road feel this transmits to your hands. Now take this steering wheel and add two rather large contraptions to it, right at the points where you grab the wheel, also increase the weight at these points.

You think this (increased volume and inertia) will not affect the way the steering wheel transmits road feel to your hands?

Just for clarity I never said these are my thoughts or beliefs, I thought I quite clearly stated this in my original post???

The source is here GTR v 911 PDK v R8 v AM. Have a look at pages 32-33 and the inset on page 34. Quite interesting imho.

Last edited by Matias_S; 11-08-2008 at 02:45 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 11-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

To add a little of perspective to this; the average Ferrari owner, as well as the average Porsche owner will NOT track the car. At least, not their car.

Weight will play ZERO effect on the wheel or their buying decision.

The issue on the board is whether or not people will get used to Porsche's way to bang thru the gears as opposed to the rest.

People who actually consider the point of view on weight of the wheel would be less then 2% of total Porsche PDK buyers.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Matias_S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
To add a little of perspective to this; the average Ferrari owner, as well as the average Porsche owner will NOT track the car. At least, not their car.

Weight will play ZERO effect on the wheel or their buying decision.

The issue on the board is whether or not people will get used to Porsche's way to bang thru the gears as opposed to the rest.

People who actually consider the point of view on weight of the wheel would be less then 2% of total Porsche PDK buyers.
I am cool with your point of view, at the same time I thought the comments by the DR team were interesting and worth discussing. For me this matters when I buy my next car. Also I do believe we are allowed to also post points of view here that differ from the Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG official doctrine. Could be I am mistaken though...

I have to say, buying a Porsche or Ferrari and not tracking it, is like marrying a supermodel and not... not... ...well you get my drift...
Old 11-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I am cool with your point of view, at the same time I thought the comments by the DR team were interesting and worth discussing. For me this matters when I buy my next car. Also I do believe we are allowed to also post points of view here that differ from the Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG official doctrine. Could be I am mistaken though...

I have to say, buying a Porsche or Ferrari and not tracking it, is like marrying a supermodel and not... not... ...well you get my drift...
Things are very different State side then in the UAE. Most American's can't even comprehend the speed that Porsche and Ferrari alike can maintain w/o breaking a sweat. -let alone even GET INTO the conversation of 'steering wheel' weight.

This is a fact; not opinion here in the USA.

It might be ENTIRELY different over in the UAE. However I 10000000% agree w/ you

why date a supermodel if you don't.......................
Old 11-08-2008, 05:02 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Ok, lets take an exaggeration to illustrate the point. Take a lightweight steering wheel and consider the road feel this transmits to your hands. Now take this steering wheel and add two rather large contraptions to it, right at the points where you grab the wheel, also increase the weight at these points.

You think this (increased volume and inertia) will not affect the way the steering wheel transmits road feel to your hands?

Just for clarity I never said these are my thoughts or beliefs, I thought I quite clearly stated this in my original post???

The source is here GTR v 911 PDK v R8 v AM. Have a look at pages 32-33 and the inset on page 34. Quite interesting imho.
How much do you think is the mass contribution of a pair of micro switches and 2 plastic paddles to the weight of the steering wheel?

Your inertia/moving mass argument carries no weight here.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:27 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

That Ferrari wheel has all sorts of stuff on it from led lights in the wheel to engine tuning *****! Compared to the Porsche PDK wheel the Ferrari wheel has a lot more going on. Ever look at a F1 steering wheel? You are not making any sence with these comments.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's boll*cks. The weight of the additional stuff on the wheel would be so minimal as to be unrecognizable.

As to the Ferrari wheel, all they have done is moved the S/C, PASM, and PSM buttons into one switch on the wheel. and in practice it's not that smart as it doesn't allow you combinations not on their Ferrari menu that would be useful under different conditions. e.g. softer dampers, but looser stability. Porsche does offer the choices and arguably putting them on the center console is the right place to leave the wheel uncluttered.

The comparison to an F1 car is spurious. Would you like to tell an F1 designer where to put the dash in a Ferrari or McLaren F1 car? I'd like to see that conversation! The stuff has to go on the wheel as there's nowhere else to put it.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:23 PM
welbo
Intermediate

PDK option cost us $13,000 sing dollars or about USD8400!!!!!!!!!!

I have a Maserati Grandsport that uses the paddle shift (downshift on one side and upshift on the other). Both me and missus have no issue with the new PDK paddle and we actually prefer the PDK paddle instead of the other. We used to have Alfa Romeo and Audi that uses the same concept as Maserati so we are very used to the old paddle system and very new to what Porsche has to offer.

And I do track my car occassionally.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:52 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this discussion is getting old. "porsche won't admit they're wrong....ferrari does it this way....it's to please tip drivers....." blah blah.

the pdk is a wonderful driving experience. the shifters are intuitive and work right where your hands are on wheel. if that's not the case with your driving style, there are still manual transmissions available.

to get the "pure driving experience" one can also still find cars without airbags, 50 lb clutches, manual windows, crappy seats, whatever. it's all out there for the taking...

b
Old 11-09-2008, 02:49 AM
Matias_S
Instructor

Originally Posted by ADias
How much do you think is the mass contribution of a pair of micro switches and 2 plastic paddles to the weight of the steering wheel?

Your inertia/moving mass argument carries no weight here.
I have presented a differing opinion from independent car journalists and racing drivers. You state opinions without anything to back them up => your arguments carry no weight whatsoever…

Originally Posted by Le Chef
That's boll*cks. The weight of the additional stuff on the wheel would be so minimal as to be unrecognizable.
I have presented a differing opinion from independent car journalists and racing drivers. Until you come up with some independent supporting argumentation your statement is exactly “boll*cks”

Originally Posted by mdrums
That Ferrari wheel has all sorts of stuff on it from led lights in the wheel to engine tuning *****! Compared to the Porsche PDK wheel the Ferrari wheel has a lot more going on. Ever look at a F1 steering wheel? You are not making any sence with these comments.
Again, this is not my opinion! I brought up for discussion the viewpoint of an article… Additionally, I have never said anything about any complexity; the steering wheels are so simple that if anyone finds them confusing this person must be somehow impaired or disabled. I brought up for discussion the point that the PDK steering wheel could loose out in steering feel to the normal steering wheel, due to weight, materials and ergonomics.

You want to bring up the F1 wheel? Sure is a good comparison. The F1 wheel has a grip with a suede like surface, it is rather thin so its easy to grip and guess what, it uses paddles…

I have to say that you make no sense at all…

Since you seem too lazy to click on a link and read the source, here is one clipping from the article.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: PDK ergonomic shift paddles 997