Right "down" button

Left "up" button

Right "up" button

Gear shifter

The typical way is 3

"Down" paddle

"Up" paddle

Gear shifter
There is no up and down button with PDK just push forward and push backward. However you have the choise of this on each side of the wheel and on the stick shift as well. Some might think that is redundent however you are just given a choice.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes, that's redundancy

Originally Posted by mdrums
Some might think that is redundent however you are just given a choice.
I don't see why you need the choice. Do you have two gas pedals or two volume ***** on the radio? No, because on control functions like that more is actually less.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Chef,

I drove the PDK and having been accustomed to the paddles on the 430, it was odd at first but in less than a half hour, the push to upshift and pull to downshift became natural using the paddles on the wheel. Since they rotate with the wheel you can shift while turning which is perefectly fine with PDK in sport mode since like the F1, it shifts so fast.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:25 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
I don't see why you need the choice. Do you have two gas pedals or two volume ***** on the radio? No, because on control functions like that more is actually less.
I have 2 thumbs and 2 pointer fingers 1 set for each side of the wheel!...sorry only 1 leg though...ha ha
Old 11-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nowadays, most cars do have two volume ***** -- one on the unit and the other on the wheel. While that may be viewed as "redundancy," the idea is simply convenience. The ability to upshift/downshift on either side of the wheel allows the flexibility to drive one-handed also.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

I guess since I don't like multi-function steering wheels, think the nav systems in most cars is too complicated, don't eat, drink or use the phone in the car, that I'm not going to be one of those guys who will take to the experience unless it's designed by Apple.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I guess since I don't like multi-function steering wheels, think the nav systems in most cars is too complicated, don't eat, drink or use the phone in the car, that I'm not going to be one of those guys who will take to the experience unless it's designed by Apple.
Do you eat the same foods or are you one to try something different almost each time you go out?

I think most will find the set up, after awhile- usefull.

Personally I like being able to 'row' the transmission mounted shifter now. Me likey.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:10 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Do you eat the same foods or are you one to try something different almost each time you go out?
Ha ha...good one...Le Chef? cooking up the same meal?
Old 11-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by mdrums
Ha ha...good one...Le Chef? cooking up the same meal?
glad someone caught that.....
Old 11-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default Nope

I rarely cook the same thing twice, and create from scratch without using someone else's recipe.

The issue is bad design. A monkey can learn to type Shakespeare but what does that prove other than stupid perseverance? If it's not intuitive it's bad design. If you're happy to muddle along accepting second best, that's your choice.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I rarely cook the same thing twice, and create from scratch without using someone else's recipe.

The issue is bad design. A monkey can learn to type Shakespeare but what does that prove other than stupid perseverance? If it's not intuitive it's bad design. If you're happy to muddle along accepting second best, that's your choice.
Referencing Porsche and 2nd best is laughable at worst.

C'mon Chef. You're being a little too over the top on this one.

creating from scratch and never using someone's recipe is great. But, to use your analogy; why would you try and reinvent the wheel (pun intended) when everyone else (Ferrari, Lambo ect) is doing fine with their creations?

The point is there maybe a right or wrong- time will tell if Porsche decides to change it.

But if you seriously can't get past the wheel on the PDK......well........pass on it then. But already I'm seeing evidence where people are getting used to it and moving on with it.

PDK and Porsche owner in harmony. P-car love.

Ps. Do you own your own restaurant? Would I know of it? (used to be in the bizz; J&W grad ect)
Old 11-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default Vested interest

Referencing Porsche and 2nd best is laughable at worst.
But you have a $4000 vested interest in supporting PDK regardless of whether it's good design or not. It's not in your interest to support the idea that in this instance Porsche's controls might be second best even if it's true. If you sell Porsche's for a living you can't hold an independent unbiased position. Should I now be laughing at everything you have said regarding Porsche and PDK?

And I'm aware I have a choice, and that choice is to drive stick shift which I enjoy more than driving PDK.

As to the restaurant business - I sold my share in it years ago, and now cook only for pleasure.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

But you have a $4000 vested interest in supporting PDK regardless of whether it's good design or not. It's not in your interest to support the idea that in this instance Porsche's controls might be second best even if it's true. If you sell Porsche's for a living you can't hold an independent unbiased position. Should I now be laughing at everything you have said regarding Porsche and PDK?

And I'm aware I have a choice, and that choice is to drive stick shift which I enjoy more than driving PDK.

As to the restaurant business - I sold my share in it years ago, and now cook only for pleasure.
ouch.
ouch.
*smacks my forehead*

double ouch.

wtf chef; you're over thinking this. Seriously.

LOL

...and yes, I do sell Porsche for a living and I can and have been able to (many times) give my opinion; even if it's biased towards another brand.

I'm in this for the long haul; and my cilents would back that up as well.

Regardless- many will get used to the design. And if Porsche changes it; i'm sure they'll offer a retro fit. And people will get used to that.

Porsche has been accused of breaking w/ tradition before. And THANK Gawd for that.

What's the alt? Go buy a frig'n F car or Lambo?

Uhmm no. that would be a "do not pass go, go directly to jail".
Old 11-07-2008, 09:25 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 831 Posts

Food for which senses?

Quick Reply: PDK ergonomic shift paddles 997