Sponsored by:

"Weighing" wheel and seat options

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Killdog
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Weighing" wheel and seat options

Does anybody know the weights of the current wheel and seat options offered by Porsche? Couldn't find anything in the PCNA literature.
Seems that in order to maximize advantage of PCCB's reduction of unsprung weight, it should be combined with the lightest wheel.
I'm also looking at weight savings (carbon fiber) versus functionality (power comfort w/ ventilation) in the different seat options.
Thanks.

Mark
Old 10-25-2008, 11:29 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

If you are getting PCCB's why not go with a nice forged aftermarket wheel? All the Porsche wheels all weight with in a pound or so of each other and they are all heavy.

The Sport Bucket (GT2) seats are carbon fiber and would be the lightest. If you go with the luxury ventalated seats you will be adding weight especially with the power functions.

If you are doing all this because you want a light weight track car I understand but if this is going to be a dailey or weekend street car you will never notice any of this added weight with power seats and so forth. Also I urge you to read up on PCCB's and what the guys that track them have to say. Are you prepared to spend $10,000 for new rotors after 6-8 track days?
Old 10-26-2008, 12:07 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I am not aware of ANYONE going through PCCBs in 6-8 track days. I would order the nicest wheels that command top resale and then wait until a friend of mine introduces forged Fuchs alloys for the 997s,
Old 10-26-2008, 02:55 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
... All the Porsche wheels all weight with in a pound or so of each other and they are all heavy....
I do not think that P-car OEM wheels are too heavy at all. Many aftermarket wheels are heavier.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:39 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I am not aware of ANYONE going through PCCBs in 6-8 track days. I would order the nicest wheels that command top resale and then wait until a friend of mine introduces forged Fuchs alloys for the 997s,
search here and at the other forum for mk62. He is a track friend of mine and had issues with pccb's in his street/track car. I can also introduce you to a few guys at the track that had to take PCCB's off because the rotors start pitting and chunking and Porsche would not warranty them. In the Porsche spec race class you can use either PCCB or steel and the racers swapped them out and in one of the last car mags they tested on a track PCCB's against the steels and the steels worked just as well and better in some parts.

I looked long and hard at getting pccb's on my 09 but after speaking with many people at the track, other racers, Porsche people, reading tests and pricing out replacement components pccb's just do not make the grade.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:05 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
... In the Porsche spec race class you can use either PCCB or steel and the racers swapped them out and in one of the last car mags they tested on a track PCCB's against the steels and the steels worked just as well and better in some parts...
The only advantages of carbon ceramic rotors are reduced unsprung weight and better fade resistance at extreme temperatures. Porsche brakes with iron rotors are already very fade resistant so you should not expect any significant improvement in brake performance with PCCB.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:24 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Nathan, correct the Porsche S brakes (red) will stop as well and sometimes better according to some recent articles than the PCCB (yellow) brakes. Yep they should offer better handling at the limits on a track driving at 10/10ths due to there light weight but I could never tell. The rotor replacement cost is unbelievably expensive at $10k where the steels rotors are $550! Plus the PCCB rotors do not last too much longer at the track that the steels anyway. I personally could not justify the cost of this option for what the actual performance of the PCCB's really are.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:51 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree with mike (mdrums) here. you'll not notice the savings in weight and it's a real hassle. just swapping off your wheels requires a much larger degree of precision with the carbon all around.

as for wheels, the lobsters are the lightest porsche made '05 - 08. not sure what the '09 weights are. it's not much

my research led me to fikses which are great but there are many many out there that are much lighter than the OEM.

just please don't tell me you got stock brakes and painted the calipers yellow...
Old 10-27-2008, 01:40 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

IIRC the lobsters were 26-28 lbs. I replaced them with Champion RG5's, which are 19 and 20 lbs (front and rear).

If you think you will end up going with an aftermarket wheel, call Wheel Enhancement and talk to them about trade in value for the OEM wheels and order the most valuable (also highly recommend them as a source).

Quick Reply: "Weighing" wheel and seat options