Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 01:28 AM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Colm
Check with your service department. SRF and other high end fluids can erode the seals (and void warranty)

If you use the brakes properly, then the OEM fluid should do the job. If you need more braking, you need a Cup Car, because you are beyond the limits of the whole car!
So all of us who've boiled the stock fluid at the track don't know how to use our brakes?

I will agree that high-fluid can erode the seals under certain circumstances however, I completely disagree with your coment about the stock fluid being sufficient for frequent trackwork. I know a lot of very good drivers who've boiled both OEM and ATE. Its a real bad feeling when that pedal gets mushy.

You don't need to drive a Cup Car or be beyond the limits of a car in order to upgrade your brake-fluid....many of us appreciate a nice firm brake pedal at the end of a session or race.

Do you track your car often?
Old 10-29-2008, 01:51 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adfsouth
So all of us who've boiled the stock fluid at the track don't know how to use our brakes?

Such an open ended question, it might be that that besides not knowing how to use the brakes, it could be a case of not knowing how to drive. How would I know?

I will agree that high-fluid can erode the seals under certain circumstances however, I completely disagree with your coment about the stock fluid being sufficient for frequent trackwork. I know a lot of very good drivers who've boiled both OEM and ATE. Its a real bad feeling when that pedal gets mushy.

There is no special circumstance(s). The SRF erodes the seals, see Porsche Dealer for info.

You don't need to drive a Cup Car or be beyond the limits of a car in order to upgrade your brake-fluid....many of us appreciate a nice firm brake pedal at the end of a session or race.

A well driven 911 will always have a firm pedal (with standard fluid), barring over-use, abuse or mechanical failure. If you are so fast that you can exceed its limits and features you need a Cup Car. However, you don't need to be fast to abuse its limits (and therefore think you are fast)

Do you track your car often?
I once drove past a track, and smelled the burning brakes!!
Old 10-29-2008, 12:19 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
I like and use Motul this is the cheapest place I can find 13.95 a btl. http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/pa...ake-fluid.html
No affiliation, just a interested consumer.
A million thanks!
Old 10-30-2008, 02:16 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=Colm;5945355]Check with your service department. SRF and other high end fluids can erode the seals (and void warranty)

I appreciate all the responses.
Colm zero'ed in on my specific question--is there any reason to NOT use a higher BP fluid.

Has anyone had a seal erosion problem? or any other kind of problem?

Jim
Old 10-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=BlueJay73;5950403]
Originally Posted by Colm
Check with your service department. SRF and other high end fluids can erode the seals (and void warranty)

I appreciate all the responses.
Colm zero'ed in on my specific question--is there any reason to NOT use a higher BP fluid.

Has anyone had a seal erosion problem? or any other kind of problem?

Jim
I've been using ATE Super Blue and SRF for years in my 986 with no problems.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:52 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Colm- Although I understand the philosophy behind your point, I respectfully disagree. We are both entitled to our opinions.....I don't think either of us wants to implement your signature quote into it's proper context
Old 11-03-2008, 07:36 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone is looking for the Porsche fluid PM me, I have plenty.

Mark

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid