Sponsored by:

Kelly Blue Book vs Edmunds

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred2
Yet none of this addresses the original post which was about Blue Book Values. There are more used Porsches out there than there are buyers for them. Too much supply, too little demand due to the current market conditions.
Guess where the price is going, and neither Porsche AG or PNA has control over that. A used 997 is a $50K toy, and if a potential buyer can't get a loan, or is worried about losing his job, he is not going to pay KBB retail for one.
As a matter of fact, cars being offered for sale at less than KBB trade is are just sitting there without offers on them.
Fred, with all due respect. I think you're missing the point I made. And the point I made (scroll up) is EXACTLY the scenario that's taking place.

The used car has ZERO, ZIP- NADA to do with PAG, or PCNA. The cars are used, they have no control on those cars what so ever.

It's on the dealers; at the end of the day dealers can only 'write down' aka lower over all profit margins so much on the cars. Right now it's a staring contest between the market, inventories and buyers.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:31 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by AngM018
KBB, and Edmunds are only a gauge of the market. you cannot use these to get an accuate number. They are updated every 6 months or so, while dealers "black book" is updated bi-weekly. Now with the internet, dealers will use Manheim, and acutally see what vehicles have hit the auction block within hours/days/weeks. Luckily b/c of the lower production numbers of Porsche compared to the high volume manufacterers, P-cars are not taking as big of a hit as you may think. Its all about supply, and demand. If you would like to purchase a Porsche at trade-in value, get yourself a dealer license and head to the auction block.
Dealers in my area go simply by the auction prices. That's the floor price, and if they intend to try to sell the car themselves, they may add a couple of percent to that floor price. Obviously, this is a horrible time to sell a car, and I just hope that there aren't too many Porsche owners who have to sell their cars to raise capital because they will take a serious beating. This is a period of great uncertainty, and virtually no one wants to make a significant outlay on a discretionary purchase.

On another financially related issue, I can't tell you how many of my "friends" laughed at me for paying cash for my Porsches. They would always preach to me about how much money I lost by not taking a loan and investing the $85K in the market. Well I'm not unhappy that I paid cash for my last Porsche purchase in May of 2007. I would be stuck with a 6.5% loan and an appproximate 45% loss in the market. Granted that the loss would eventually be recovered, but who knows how many years it would take. So it looks like I'll be keeping my Porsche for a long, long time.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:04 PM
BGA23
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nitewing
Nothing is selling on ebay or autotrader at the prices currently listed - so I see the same cars listed over and over.
From my experience very few Porsches sell on eBay. And how do you know at what prices cars on Autotrader end up selling for?

Like others have said, if you see a car you like make an offer. Worst thing is they say no to you. But I'd have to agree now is probably a better time to be a buyer than a seller.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by BGA23
From my experience very few Porsches sell on eBay. And how do you know at what prices cars on Autotrader end up selling for?

Like others have said, if you see a car you like make an offer. Worst thing is they say no to you. But I'd have to agree now is probably a better time to be a buyer than a seller.

Unless you either the a) buyer or b) the seller- NO ONE knows exactly what it's purchased for. You're dead on.

And +1 on the making an offer. If you trust the dealer and the deal is fair for you, go for it. otherwise walk. Simple really.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:32 AM
AngM018
Instructor

Correct about purchasing a P-car off ebay. Most Dealers who use ebay, only use it as another form of marketing. Vehicles are then purchased through the store and not on ebay. After that they leave the ebay add up until it runs out. that way people will still call in, and they can switch them to another vehicle. Ot also prevents ebay from wondering why they ended early, and they didnt get their cut. I dont run my company like this, but when I have called other dealers for vehicles I find on ebay, this is what they have told me in the past.

I am also uncertain about this current market. I am uncertain how we have sold 5 Cayenne's already this week, when the economy is apparently not strong, and nobody wants an SUV. Its funny how things work out...
Old 10-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

There are more used Porsches out there than there are buyers for them. Too much supply, too little demand due to the current market conditions.
Just a small comment, not intended to be criticism: Statements like the one above remind me that we have to be careful not to draw flawed conclusions. There will always be more used Porsche cars out there than buyers, because a used item market for a consumer mass product will never be in equilibrium, independent from economic conditions. That's inherent to free-market economies due to its players attempting self-interest maximization; it would actually be indicative of a bunch of retards to find a used car market in equilibrium. That, of course, does not change anything about the correctly observed shift of the price curve. But, hey, economic conditions come in cycles, we all knew that anyway.

Quick Reply: Kelly Blue Book vs Edmunds