Sponsored by:

Curb Ramp Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 03:00 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Have you considered putting in 2 or 3 (recessed) concrete bolts to anchor them so they can't be stolen so easily?
That's a good idea, and should be pretty easily done.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:09 PM
SDP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. Plus, I live in a community which would never allow ramps. As did another Rennlister, I found that "walking" the car up or down the driveway at a steep angle to straight works. If I go up one wheel at a time, the problem disappears.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:28 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Have you considered putting in 2 or 3 (recessed) concrete bolts to anchor them so they can't be stolen so easily?
+1 BOLT THEM DOWN.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Kevin K
Instructor

I bought two 12 foot lengths of the composite deck boards at Home Depot. They're gray and blend in pretty well with the color of the gutter apron. When I drive over them, the scrape is gone.

Now, I was going to attach them with some construction adhesive and maybe a concrete bolt or two. Before doing so, I called the city (Rockville, MD) Public Works Department to make sure, I wasn't running afoul of some rule.

They apologized for the problem and said they would fix it. It is considered a road repair and they'll redo the apron or lay concrete or asphalt to raise the problem area and still provide for drainage, etc. I was surprised. Nice when all those high taxes actually come back to you personally in the form of a service. I'll keep you posted as to whether they follow through on this.

I'd suggest however, that others with this problem give a call to their similar agencies, you never know what they might say.

Kevin
Old 01-10-2009, 12:40 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the update and advice.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:30 PM
mossjn
Advanced

I have the same problem. Plus, I live in a community which would never allow ramps. As did another Rennlister, I found that "walking" the car up or down the driveway at a steep angle to straight works. If I go up one wheel at a time, the problem disappears.

+1 Same deal. Go slow and big angle.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:31 PM
am722
Drifting

Well they arrived today and I'm going to have to send them back. They just don't fit the open space created by my curb well enough to be a permanent solution (they would probably work, but they wouldn't be nearly effective enough to justify the price). On to more creative solutions...
Old 01-15-2009, 11:35 PM
mstams
Racer

Same problem here. I'm planning to cut my curb and replace with stamped concrete. Costly solution, but at least it should add some value to my house.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:39 PM
emmros
Instructor

just try to go in at an angle, then it should work for most unless yours is very steep
Old 02-10-2009, 12:58 AM
am722
Drifting

Okay, these things list for 299 plus 100 shipping (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...curb+bridge.do). Mine is brand new, and I can return it for the purchase price but I'll end up eating 200 bucks total in shipping. Anybody who wants them can pick them up from me for 200 in cash, fully refundable if (like me) they don't work on your driveway. They are essentially brand new; all I did was pull them out of the box, determine that they didn't work, and clean them up and repackage them.
Otherwise I'll just send them back.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:12 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

If you are a little crazy and want the ultimate solution, check this thread out:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...n-porsche.html
Old 03-07-2009, 10:50 PM
am722
Drifting

Originally Posted by am722
Okay, these things list for 299 plus 100 shipping (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...curb+bridge.do). Mine is brand new, and I can return it for the purchase price but I'll end up eating 200 bucks total in shipping. Anybody who wants them can pick them up from me for 200 in cash, fully refundable if (like me) they don't work on your driveway. They are essentially brand new; all I did was pull them out of the box, determine that they didn't work, and clean them up and repackage them.
Otherwise I'll just send them back.
Bump, price drop. 100 bucks take 'em. By the way, I didn't even end up needing anything after all (translation: I am an idiot).
Old 03-08-2009, 08:33 PM
SKYKING
Advanced

Question

Originally Posted by am722
By the way, I didn't even end up needing anything after all.
Would you please elaborate on why you do not need anything now.
I contacted you when you first were looking for something and asked you to advise when you received your gutter ramp. I see it did not work for you. I contacted Bridjit, the manufacturer, and they sent me a cross section to test fit on my gutter. It also does not work.
My new C4S with SPASM will be here next month and I am concerned about the scraping (my 08 C4S scrapes) and want to know what how your problem was solved.
Thanks
Old 03-08-2009, 10:42 PM
am722
Drifting

Originally Posted by SKYKING
Would you please elaborate on why you do not need anything now.
I contacted you when you first were looking for something and asked you to advise when you received your gutter ramp. I see it did not work for you. I contacted Bridjit, the manufacturer, and they sent me a cross section to test fit on my gutter. It also does not work.
My new C4S with SPASM will be here next month and I am concerned about the scraping (my 08 C4S scrapes) and want to know what how your problem was solved.
Thanks
I think the new one does not scrape for a couple of reasons: (1) I am much more careful about going in at an angle, and (2) the 09 does not have the same rubber lip hanging underneath the front bumper, so there's a little extra room down there.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:10 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Not to steal this worthwhile thread, but one tip I'll share for those of you who encounter dips along their route of "flight" may consider putting their suspensions on "Sport" mode temporarily as they approach and go over a significant dip in the road. Stiffening the suspension can reduce the damages.

Quick Reply: Curb Ramp Recommendations?