Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

N. Amer Porsche Sales Off 44%

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 01:42 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think companies such as ferrari porsche and lamborghini will be fine even through the financial issues in N. America. all 3 companies have a few cars in delopment, they can either hold them off, or debut em a little earlier. maybe mark prices down a few thousand, off msrp that is.

yes even the local dealer by me has a few sitting on the lot, and they usually push 3 or 4 a week of each model. one thing that could help porsche, as bad of an idea it might be, a cheap porsche, the entry level boxster still is 42g, and very few will spend 42g on a 250hp car when they can get a corvette c6 for the same price with better handling and more power. if they put a car out that cost 30g to start, maybe 215-230hp it'll sell. u get porsche build, handling and design, for cheap. they've done it before, and sometimes a company does what it must to save itself.

example of cars coming, porsche has the 2dr cheyenne, the panamera, and the facelifts to the cayman and boxster. lamborghini has the 4dr they unveil today, and replacements for both the murcialago and the gallardo. ferrari has a new 8cyl(possibly 10), would like a 4dr gt, the fx70(mini enzo) and an entry level model. that's a lot of extra money going out that they are likely not making.

yes right now the economy sucks, but it did in the early 90's too, it happens every 15yrs or so. it just swells and settles down then goes back to normal. doesn't help auto companies with all the regs they have to meet
Old 10-03-2008, 02:15 PM
nmporsche
AutoX

I was at our local dealership about a month ago. The lead salesman said that Porshe was not shipping hardly any cars over. They had only four new ones at the dealership and used was worse with one on the lot. He said that the dollar was so weak that out-of-country buyers were scooping them up and shipping them to their country. "Half-price porches".

In contrast; I went to the Copper dearlership to look at Minis. They had probably 80+ cars there and they were all SOLD with the exception of three cars! You have to order one and wait 2 1/2 months to 4 months get delivery. I drove one. Wow, what a fun car. Mean torque steer, though.

I would make a comment about Obama, but someone would bite my face off...........
Old 10-03-2008, 04:51 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default "Attention KMart shoppers....we have the blue light special...."

Originally Posted by texas911
Wooohooo, fire sale!
abe
Old 10-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by MFC996
Aye, very true. It's already happening here in Ohio.
You got that right. There are dealerships that are in business NOW; will be defunct with in 2-3 quarters.

mark my words.

PCNA is walking around with a knife; and they're looking to trim FAT.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
I wonder how the real xpensive upper end sports cars are doing....Ferrari and others?
abe
i lunched today with one of my partners i did alot of highline with until 2 months ago. I stopped all dealing and sold my last personal F's [612 was the last] in early August. He confirms anyone can walk into an F dealer and pickup a new spider at window!!! 430's are dead. 599's are dropping bigtime.

CGT only thing holding value other than collector.

everything else is down hill from there. no one is feeling flush right now except russian and other mafia and the middle east.

i would expect new 997's at 1500 over invoice. nothing is more discretionary than automotive jewelry!!!
Old 10-03-2008, 10:41 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 937 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by nmporsche
I was at our local dealership about a month ago. The lead salesman said that Porshe was not shipping hardly any cars over. They had only four new ones at the dealership and used was worse with one on the lot. He said that the dollar was so weak that out-of-country buyers were scooping them up and shipping them to their country. "Half-price porches".

In contrast; I went to the Copper dearlership to look at Minis. They had probably 80+ cars there and they were all SOLD with the exception of three cars! You have to order one and wait 2 1/2 months to 4 months get delivery. I drove one. Wow, what a fun car. Mean torque steer, though.

I would make a comment about Obama, but someone would bite my face off...........
That's the thing about the dealer network - what are they going to sell? Of course it makes sense for Porsche to ship cars to markets where they can sell them and get the best prices for them, and with US demand down anyway, it makes sense to ship less cars to the US. The US dealer network has to contract.

Oh, and those strong Mini sales - that's not going to last either. People are buying them because they are fuel efficient, with the US going into recession, oil prices will continue to fall. I paid $3.30 for regular in south jersey last week. Once gas goes below $3 again, demand for small cars will tail off.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:23 AM
SeanInLA
Advanced

All of this talk about falling Porsche prices let me to take a look at the local dealer for a good deal on a pre-owned (used) 911. No Luck. I am in SoCal and the act as if things are fine. Please tell me which one of these cars is a good deal? 2 year old cars seem to be priced above invoice when the car was new. Even if I take 10K off the prices they still seem high for a used Porsche.

http://porsche.rusnakautogroup.com/P...Inventory.aspx
Old 10-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by watt
i lunched today with one of my partners i did alot of highline with until 2 months ago. I stopped all dealing and sold my last personal F's [612 was the last] in early August. He confirms anyone can walk into an F dealer and pickup a new spider at window!!! 430's are dead. 599's are dropping bigtime.

CGT only thing holding value other than collector.

everything else is down hill from there. no one is feeling flush right now except russian and other mafia and the middle east.

i would expect new 997's at 1500 over invoice. nothing is more discretionary than automotive jewelry!!!
Watt- thanks for giving RL a real heads up.

To comment to those of you talking about PAG & PCNA are reducing cars coming to NA. Infact they're slowing production down. Albeit temporarily. They don't want to maintain this but they need to do this to hedge a potential slaughtering of the cars on the market.

Dealers who are smart will recognize this; and work aggressive deals- WHILE maintaining reasonable profit margins.

*reasonable* means being able to pay their entire staff and stay in business. If they can turn a net profit; well good for them- but the key will be their relationship with YOU the client.

End of the day it's still a Relationship based product and business. Those who embrace and execute that belief will remain strong and stay in business in this difficult economic time.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:14 AM
happig
6th Gear

Things in LA seem to be following the trend. Like SeanInLA pointed out with the link, the dealer near my house asks riddiculous prices for pre-owned Porsches but they will go down. They're hoping someone with cash will walk in, like the car, pay for it and drive off (not anymore in this decade). I bought my very first Porsche from them 3 months ago. They were asking way too much, I didn't get the price I wanted but what's and extra $2,000 if it's gonna make me happy? We ended up agreeing on $55K for a 03 Speed Yellow C4S, 16.7k miles, X51, Sport Seats, PCM, Sport Exhaust which I love , and 18" black Tech Art Formula wheels to match the tinted windows. I initially hated both the wheels and tint but I got accustomed to them. It looks like a giant bumblebee, and because it's very distinct everyone I know keeps tabs on where I'm parked. Doh! I didn't think about that before I bought it. Before I was searching high and low on the private seller market but I came to realize that I made the right decision with getting my C4S from my dealer because of the relationship and CPO. I now walk into the showroom feeling comfortable whereas in the past I felt like a chump. Maybe I can get a test drive of a Turbo or a PDK without begging too much.
I digress...
On the new car showroom up until a month ago they still had the Guards Red Targa4S I fell in love with and it was marked $10,000 below sticker. One day the manager said he doesn't know what he's gonna do with almost 70 "punched" cars he took delivery of from the East Coast, another day he says they're doing well. I take it they're staying in business just fine.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:14 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 937 Likes on 522 Posts

The other problem dealers have - paying the interest costs (if they can even get a loan) to cover the cars they have in stock.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:10 PM
MFC996
Instructor

In other good news. Oil is now under 90 bucks a gallon.

Quick Reply: N. Amer Porsche Sales Off 44%