Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Buy-Back Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:54 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim, Agree with your approach. You could try calling the the customer service number tomorrow, but that may not be fruitful if Porsche is like other car companies I have dealt with. If you get stonewalled, you may have to send a letter to someone high up in PCNA to get them to pay attention, unless someone here can recommend a person to call.

As for what the GM said --
1. Probably true, but if there is a privacy issue, the repair history could be disclosed if owner info is redacted. Or they could just tell you the repairs the car has had. The repairs themselves are not private.
2. Not if his salesman said the car was not abused or something similar.
3. 1 week statute of limitations for fraud, huh? Ha ha ha.
4. Doubt this is the case.
5. Ditto.

You were clearly not going to get anywhere with the guy. Deal with PCNA. I would just recommend being as calm and professional as possible, while being persistent.

Originally Posted by JimG
Talked to the GM a few days ago and am not happy. His attitude torqued me off to say the least. Some things I was not aware of:
1. A cars repair history is not normally disclosed so as to protect the privacy of the previous owner. (dealer/owner confidentiality)
2. Abuse of a car does not have to be disclosed as long as the warranty will cover it. (Just disregard the contrary note on the repair order documenting that further overrevs will void future claims)
3. There is a statute of limitations when you do discover the dealer mislead you. (1 week)
4. Porsches are complicated cars and it is not uncommon to have the car break as often as mine did. (I am sure they would be glad to sell me another one)
5. General managers do not know what the overrev codes mean. (He did not seem happy that I knew)

I actually listened to this guy spew this drivel and even let him interrupt me several times. He seemed agitated that we took up 10 minutes of his time. He did say that he would be glad to take it in on a trade (and dump it on another schmuck) and offered me a decent price (the same deal anyone else just off the street could get). Tomorrow I am contacting PCNA once I figure out who to deal with. I will trade it for a Miata before this guy makes another nickel off me.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talked to the GM a few days ago and am not happy. His attitude torqued me off to say the least. Some things I was not aware of:
1. A cars repair history is not normally disclosed so as to protect the privacy of the previous owner. (dealer/owner confidentiality)

This is total bull****. I can give you a FULL VEHICLE SERVICE HISTORY AND WARRANTY REPORT- INFACT I ALWAYS DO THIS TO SHED LIGHT ON ANY DOUBT THAT YOU MIGHT HAVE AS A POTENTIAL CLIENT.

2. Abuse of a car does not have to be disclosed as long as the warranty will cover it. (Just disregard the contrary note on the repair order documenting that further overrevs will void future claims)

This is the tricky part. It's impossible to know exactly what's gone on with the car and how it's been driven. However, if the Tech's are seasoned enough- they've seen it all and can use their common sense to figure things out.

3. There is a statute of limitations when you do discover the dealer mislead you. (1 week)
4. Porsches are complicated cars and it is not uncommon to have the car break as often as mine did. (I am sure they would be glad to sell me another one)
5. General managers do not know what the overrev codes mean. (He did not seem happy that I knew)

I actually listened to this guy spew this drivel and even let him interrupt me several times. He seemed agitated that we took up 10 minutes of his time. He did say that he would be glad to take it in on a trade (and dump it on another schmuck) and offered me a decent price (the same deal anyone else just off the street could get). Tomorrow I am contacting PCNA once I figure out who to deal with. I will trade it for a Miata before this guy makes another nickel off me.

Jim; I'm very sorry you're dealing with a DB of a GM. It always amazes me when Managers don't have a friggin clue about the product. ESPECIALLY a GM.

Good luck with everything.......you're doing the right thing by following this process.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:35 PM
JimG
Instructor

I heard back from PCNA today. I got the call on my cell phone at work and did not have a chance to write any info down, not that it was a long call. The girl said "unfortunately PCNA and (the dealership) are two different companies and we cannot force them to be honest and truthful" she added "we would of course expect and encourage them to be honest". She also said "there was a new privacy act last year that protects owners and it is not typical that a written service history would be available, although a warranty history would be". I advised her that other dealers I called had no problem providing the service history. She said all she could do is have the regional manager talk to the dealers GM. So it sounds like I got screwed good. If anyone wants a copy of the e-mail I sent PCNA just send me a PM. Now my wife wants me to trade the P-car for a Prius. Not sure if I want another Porsche if this is typical PCNA support.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:41 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Your dealer is the problem. I know you do not want to release the dealer name at this point... but can you say where you are located? city or region?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:20 PM
JimG
Instructor

Phoenix AZ
Old 10-21-2008, 08:32 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Phoenix AZ
I suspect your relationship with the dealer is shot. I would try to talk with the PCNA Regional Rep and see if he helps. In any case, you need to develop a good relationship with another dealer (Service Manager) - someone who respects his customers and treats them well to keep them in the future.

Quick Reply: Dealer Buy-Back Question