Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS reads 6lbs low on all 4 tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TPM is a real pain in the ***!!! Mine has never been right. Wish I could get the dealer to disable it.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC
TPM is a real pain in the ***!!! Mine has never been right. Wish I could get the dealer to disable it.
Your dealer can do that, no problem (the first attempt to fix the low readings on my car resulted in it not operating anymore at all). But you can also simply choose to not display it, which is the easy solution.

Generally, while the readings are not perfect, I still absolutely prefer having it over not having it; it once alerted me to having a nail in my tire before leaving the garage one morning for an out-of-town trip; if it hadn't been for the TPMS warning, at one point I would have been stranded somewhere between Natchitoches and Opelousas... you don't really want to be stranded there...
Old 09-25-2008, 01:18 AM
andre5
Instructor

Originally Posted by CBejbl
I check the tire pressures weekly. The good news is that this particular set of wheels and tires holds their pressure very well. I even cross check the pressures with different gauges.

The onboard pressure readout is always 2-3 pounds lower than my checks at the stem.

Yesterday, for some reason, the TPC INOP light came on. I reset the system to no avail. When I came out a few hours later, the light was no longer on.

So far, I'm not a big fan of this technology.
Same thing just happened to me on Saturday! I reset mine to no avail as well. After a brief stop, I started her up again and it was fine as well.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:32 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Had TPMS on my Cayenne & S4 - I still have it (dugh) on my 911, A4 Line S and now on the Grand Cherokee - I WISH THE BOXSTER HAD IT!!!

Never an issue with either system - always check tire pressure with gauge - Love the system for what it was made for - telling me my tire is going flat!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 06:06 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Generally, while the readings are not perfect, I still absolutely prefer having it over not having it; it once alerted me to having a nail in my tire before leaving the garage one morning for an out-of-town trip; if it hadn't been for the TPMS warning, at one point I would have been stranded somewhere between Natchitoches and Opelousas... you don't really want to be stranded there...
Oh, come one. That stretch of interstate is wonderful. Wide open, lightly drive interstate... what a great drive, and the median is so deep in places a trooper, if they were coming the other way, could never turn around to give chase. ;-)
Old 09-26-2008, 07:17 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Isn't there a great pie place between Natchitoches and Opelousas?
Old 09-26-2008, 12:23 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Great BBQ place in Clarence.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stumil
Isn't there a great pie place between Natchitoches and Opelousas?
Natchitoches itself is known for its meat pie. And for the Christmas lights and fireworks every year. The pie actually IS very good.

I need to check out the barbecue place in Clarence.

Quick Reply: TPMS reads 6lbs low on all 4 tires