997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sports chrono question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009 | 02:28 AM
modoz61
Racer

Although new to the use of Sport Chrono and giving some latitude to the definition of performance.

I would have thought that little (read no) performance benefit would be achieved in general daily driving but on track where sharper engine\throttle responses are possible then lap times would be directly affected.

So to add this option if you have a normally aspirated non-PDK equipped ride may still bring benefit when exposed to the right driving conditions or envirnment.

All the above said, I am in the process of buying a used 997 S that has Sport Chrono and I do intend on trackign the car at least a few times a year.
Old 02-04-2009 | 02:44 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jon70
Does sports chrono add any performance benefits if not ordered with PDK?
How in the world can most all of you comment on Sport Chrono w/ the PDK transmission when you have never driven one? Sport Chrono with the PDK transmission does give the car a performance gain...not HP/TQ but the way the PDK works.

Jon, I have a 09 Carrera S with PDK. When you add the Sport Chrono option with PDK you get a Sport Plus button. Activating the Sport Plus mod allows the PDK transmission to shift even faster in both manual mode or auto mode. Sport Plus also further relaxes PSM (stablity managment). Also the car in Sport Plus mode will hold gears longer and down shift almost if it is reading your mind. There is also no 7th gear overdrive in Sport Plus mode...it is a pure race type of mode.

I can tell you for a fact there is a big difference between normal and Sport Plus that you get with the Sport Chrono option.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2009 | 02:58 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
How in the world can most all of you comment on Sport Chrono w/ the PDK transmission when you have never driven one? Sport Chrono with the PDK transmission does give the car a performance gain...not HP/TQ but the way the PDK works.
I'm not sure why you're so bent out of shape over this. Every single person in the thread said pretty much exactly that. Sport Chrono does have a tangible impact on a tip, pdk, or turbo car. BUT, since this thread is not about those cars, the point is sort of irrelevant. The original poster asked about Sport Chrono in a normally-aspirated, manual transmission car.

Also, for the record, I've driven a SC+PDK car. Not sure why you think none of us have. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Old 02-04-2009 | 02:59 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

How in the world can most all of you comment on Sport Chrono w/ the PDK transmission when you have never driven one?
You know better than that!

It is the Internet, and everyone has an opinion irrespective of the facts, or actual knowledge.

Thanks for an accurate and insightful answer.
Old 02-04-2009 | 07:18 AM
modoz61
Racer

Based on reaction above, that was my first and last post
Old 02-04-2009 | 10:46 AM
mdrums
Race Director

WOW....some of ya'll have some thin azz skin! GROW UP! ;-)
Old 02-04-2009 | 05:03 PM
Minok
Drifting

How in the world can most all of you comment on Sport Chrono w/ the PDK transmission when you have never driven one?
Because we can all read the same technical description from Porsche that you have. Nothing you indicated is different from what we have said. I don't need to drive one to know what it does, unless Porsche is keeping some functional information out of the data sheets published. I don't have to go to Detroit to know its not a place I want to live either.

I can tell you for a fact there is a big difference between normal and Sport Plus that you get with the Sport Chrono option.**
** = when installed on a PDK car that is driven on the track or like an idiot in normal traffic situations.

Quick Reply: Sports chrono question.