Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Peeling Switchgear and interior finishes - & PCM? Head unit/cd acting up

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 01:53 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Peeling Switchgear and interior finishes - & PCM? Head unit/cd acting up

I've noticed that my switchgear on my 997S is peeling - much like the old beckers in the 9X6's. SPecifically the fan switch on the right hand side of the heater control area.

I have also noticed that the ashtray is peeling/ finish is soft / coming off, and the head unit and climate control unit is acting up (has a mind of it's own). ..I.e a CD will play, then a few days later it wont read any CDS -- and then it's fine a few days later.

Have others experienced these problems, and did the dealer just end up doing a warranty claim and replacing the climate control & head unit entirely ?
Old 09-22-2008, 10:45 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the exact same issue with the fan switch on the right hand side of the heater control. Had the dealer replace it during a service.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:42 AM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did they end up replacing just the switch or the entire climate control system ?
Old 09-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The door covering the ashtray in the center console is peeling....especially on the driver's side edge. Will seek warranty replacement.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There's an issue with the oils from skin on many of the current plastic surfaces that cause some to 'disassemble' more quickly over time. The remote control fob for my 94 VW pretty much wore smooth / melted / rotted the rubber buttons after 5 years of daily pressing the thing and holding it in my hands. The steering wheel cover is now getting soft after 14 years. The dash, which I don't put my hands on much at all, is holding up perfectly well.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:22 AM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1crazy canuck
did they end up replacing just the switch or the entire climate control system ?
Just the switch.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:12 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

anyone have pictures showing us what's happening?
Old 09-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Because there are many different types of materials (and several different types of plastic) used for the interiors of automobiles, it is often necessary to paint many, if not all, parts in order for them to look the same ( different materials have different surface characteristics). Therefore, oils, acids, salts from the skin or, even worse, using hand cream or sun tan lotion, etc, will soften and / or degrade the coatings. Generally, there is a better chance to avoid this problem with black interiors as there is often a reduced need to panit the parts but I must say that I am surprised to read about the situations described above.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:06 AM
Gerg
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, my fan switch is peeling too.

Quick Reply: Peeling Switchgear and interior finishes - & PCM? Head unit/cd acting up