sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Alex:

The car looks great. I'm going to the local official introduction of the 997.2 on Tuesday evening and driving the Carrera S with PDK on Weds. Looking forward to it.

I miss the GT3 but do not miss the repeated RMS and am really enjoying the Cayman S. My problem will be acute if I fall for the new 997 with PDK ... do I trade the 2008 Cayman S (I have done some personal mods to it) which is pure fun to drive, yet semi-practical, or sell the 1983 Euro Spec SC highly modified for the track yet still street legal..... nice to have those kind of decisions to make in retirement. Take care and look forward to more posts on your impressions of the new 911. Jack
Hi Jack,I'm pretty stoked about the car thus far. I also like a lot of the updates made. I think I was in the same camp as most. Doubting the PDK along with the rest of the new updates. I don't look at this car as a comparable to the RS as it's still chalk vs cheese. The RS' motor is still in my mind the most fun you can have in a 911. The new DI certainly seems like it has good power and perhaps close to that of a 996GT3. The response is fantastic with the DI and it's almost like the good old days of a "cable" throttle body. The pedal feels more connected and less electronic if you will. I think the 997MKII with PDK is a much "easier" car to drive daily and live with in traffic. The PDK and software/shift patterns are _especially_ impressive in one area that I still think matters- in traffic and on hills. It feels so smooth and so well done that you think you're in an automatic. Friday rush hour traffic was my first drive in it and I can say that with PDK there's now no need for the Tiptronic. It's done. Over with and time to move on. What you also get with PDK is a more involving car, more sophisticated and generally faster set up than you used to with a Tip. Anyone can jump in and drive it anytime and under any circumstance. Traffic, freeway, curvy roads et. al. This is Porsche's first attempt and they scored. Combine it with a 7-speed exceptionally geared tranny you get a very quick car in terms of straight line speed. It goes like stink as the magazines have said.

Out of the box experience thus far has gone like this. Styling, I like it. The new color. I really like it. The stock wheels? A bit nicer. Led lights- cool. Transmission, practical and still fun but not RS 6speed. Suspension, the best yet for a "non" GT 911. I love the different settings with the sport suspension. They really do work well and change the ride charachteristics. In 'normal' soft mode I can't see the wife-o-meter even registering on the richter-scale. Creature comforts are the best yet. The NAV is finally on par with a modern Toyota and functional. BlueTooth, ipod yadda yadda. Stereo is at least as good as something found in a honda and not a 1979 Blaupunkt 930. It's a 911 that's more comfortable, easy to drive and in my mind more appealing car to the masses.

The bad? The buttons. I don't know what Hilda and Herman were thinking but when I want to change gears I really, really don't want to feel like I'm pushing a Vending machine's coin return trying to get my 25 cents back All I can think is that they are trying to appeal to the former tiptronic owners by saying "Hey look the wheel is very similar to what came before". Paddles people. Paddles.

So am I confident that the next gen GT3 with PDK will be a hit? I'm a lot more confident than I was a few days ago. I personally would still pick a 6speed in a car like a GT3 or RS present/future because to me nothing feels as connected, visceral and more perfect for that high-revving hard-edged car. But will the new PDK equipped car be faster? Absolutely it will.

On the Cayman I actually spent some time driving ours back from SoCal to NorCal yesterday and I can only imagine what a PDK Cayman with a 3.8 in it could be Our Cayman is pretty different to stock and you'll see what the press thinks of it shortly In the mean-time check:

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=185

Last edited by sharkster; 09-21-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:05 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Alex, is that the car you ordered? If so, I love the choice of Porsche Racing Green and Sand. It looks really sharp... And I'm sure while it feels quite quick to you, you'll find a way to make it quicker.
Hey Chris yes it is. The Porsche Racing Green touched a nerve with my love of all things from home and British Racing Green Suckered me right in!

Quick=Just getting started
Old 09-21-2008, 02:07 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Love that green!! Very pretty.
So there's no extra cooling needed for PDK in the center section, ala Tiptronic?
Still not a fan of the Dumbo mirrors, though with the darker colour they are not as prominent.

Enjoy!!!
The PDK tranny uses the wet clutches so.... 1Gunner, you have a very good eye:P No 3rd radiator required which is great news for track guys because I'm sure once we get a gauge on engine temps at the track there will at least be an option for a 3rd radiator.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:09 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
You guys bought the Launch car? Now that I've been staring at ours; the Green is stunning in person. Pictures don't do it justice.
The launch color really does look neat when you see it in person. It's not something I'd really thought of on a 911 before but I've loved BRG for years and years on Jags, Astons etc...
Old 09-21-2008, 02:15 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Corey997s
Alex,

Great pick on the colors. Not a big fan of the sand, but on that green I can't imagine any other color going so well. You need a new racing green 'werks' logo to match...
Thanks corey. Seemed like a nice combo overall to me- especially in person.

You bet on the logo. We already have the other green
Old 09-21-2008, 02:18 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AndreCT
I just got back from driving the PDK car. Did all the launch cars come in green?
Well, I did not want to like it but sitting at say 30mph in 6th gear and then downshifting to 3rd without accelerating was "weird" because there was no sensation other than watching (and hearing) the revs build up. I came away actually liking it. But before I order the car on Monday I have to decide stick over PDK.
Hmmmmmmm.
It was like that for me driving on Friday. I was pretty stoked by the end of the drive and excited that Porsche got it right on the first attempt.

It's a hard choice but a much better choice than in 2008 where there was only one choice in my mind- the 6speed
Old 09-21-2008, 02:20 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mickfluff
IMO Porsche just seems like going backwards looks speaking..... 99-04 not a huge fan (although the c4s in this year wasn't all that bad) but prior to 99 year model years just seem to have so much more character, better hips, nicer lines and no doubt more exotic looking. The new car to me looks Boring with a big fat B.... are the wheels as week in person as they look in the pics? That said, thanks for posting, do appreciate it.
My pleasure and check one out in person. Maybe in the green or the new blue.... You actually see the lines a lot more than just in the pix. I have to say for guys that like 993s, this new 911 is heading _more_ in that direction with its lines/charachter than any previous 997 or 996.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:21 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GeneD
Any chance at a close-up of what I'm guessing is the XM antenna? Was thinking about retrofitting one to a 997.1 if possible.

Thanks,

Gene
Hi Gene I'm not at the shop today but drop dan@sharkwerks.com an Email and he can maybe snag one for us. It looks like a shark fin
Old 09-21-2008, 06:26 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love that MEAN GREEN!

Thanks for the pics! I look forward to your progress on this project.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:48 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If not for my Club Coupe - this "Kermit Green S" would be my baby!!!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:11 AM
lgascoig
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sharkster, you guys should look at carrying one of the F1 style paddle wheels once a solution leader emerges. One has already been announced at the ridiculous price of $3920 MSRP but I am pretty sure there will be customers for you in the bay area if the price is right who will also want to pay for labor instead of doing it themselves (me for example when my car comes in, heh).

Great info on the car btw.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:24 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default love the wheels?

Yikes, maybe they look better in person, but pretty bland to me. They could have tossed on 13' spinners and they would have been better then the lobsters. Just saying, better then the lobby's isn't all that great. We are talking about a near 100K car here, north of that depending on how optioned etc.... just wish (like the turbo) the car looked the part..... I have not one once "Shark" will do magic here, not questioning that. Just making a personal observation that I think this car is going to "under-stated" in the looks dept....compared to others in it's class both performance and $ speaking in its standard stock trim. (not talking turbo, gt2 and 3, aero package and so forth)

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I feel completely the opposite. I love the new wheels - much better than the lobster forks IMO. I think the shape is the classic 911 - it's bigger, but then all cars are now because of regs, features customers demand, etc.

As far as the mirrors go, I never could understand the "I hate big side mirrors" thing. They are not that much bigger than before, and to me, having that much more situational awareness is worth it. I know it won't be long before all cars have side cameras linked to the turn signals; then you won't have to worry about mirrors at all.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:30 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default hmmmmm....

Looks a little like "jeep green" to me in some of the darker pics..... my jeep below.....that is not a dig just a comment.... I think the green for jags and astons as you mentioned is where it belongs. On a porsche, not sure, would love to see in person. You have it, I do not and say it looks nice so sure it does. Again thanks for posting the comments and pics....

Originally Posted by sharkster
The launch color really does look neat when you see it in person. It's not something I'd really thought of on a 911 before but I've loved BRG for years and years on Jags, Astons etc...

Last edited by mickfluff; 12-06-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:45 AM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrates !! look beautiful. I really, Really want to hear what you have to say about the PDK after a few K
Old 09-23-2008, 12:19 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by lgascoig
Sharkster, you guys should look at carrying one of the F1 style paddle wheels once a solution leader emerges. One has already been announced at the ridiculous price of $3920 MSRP but I am pretty sure there will be customers for you in the bay area if the price is right who will also want to pay for labor instead of doing it themselves (me for example when my car comes in, heh).

Great info on the car btw.
Thanks and you re right at 3920 that's a bit on the um... stiff side;(? I'll look into it!

Quick Reply: SharkWerks Picks up Kermit MKII 09 PDK 997S