Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REMOVING THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 12:56 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 221 Posts

I hate my white gauge faces with a vengeance (this looks so "rice")
Does anyone know where I can get good quality black faces?
The following users liked this post:
Hermanzini72 (06-22-2023)
Old 02-12-2015, 01:12 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

FVD is where I got mine. Expensive, but the quality is top notch (though I haven't compared to others). FVD says that they use the same supplier as OE, so I figure if you buy through them, you are basically buying OE gauge faces, although there is FVD branding on them. The branding is not visible once installed.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:44 AM
cam2008
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"2. Pull the plastic former right under the cluster towards
you or straight aft. This will reveal the two torx screws
that locks the cluster inplace."

How hard to tug and from where? Around the center?
I'm afraid I'll break it? Any tips?
Old 04-16-2015, 12:14 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

The trim is held in with spring clips. I put my fingers left & right of the center dial then with firm pressure pull backwards. It will start to pry away. Once you get a gap you can see better where it's being held in place. You won't need a plastic trim bar but it can help once you get a gap.

Consider blue painters tape along the top of the steering column trim too. I scratched mine, don't know when exactly, but I had the cluster in and out at least five times.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:28 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

I'd suggest masking tape over the clear plastic on the instrument faces themselves too, for extra protection. I put a scratch right over the tach, but managed to polish it out with some headlamp restore product.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:08 AM
seolman
2nd Gear

Carrera Mike,

for the life of me, I tried pulling out plastic cover below the instrument cluster. The top disengages but the bottom does not. Do you have any suggestions? During the process, something came loose and now my dash rattles when going over rough parts of the road.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:21 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by seolman
Carrera Mike,

for the life of me, I tried pulling out plastic cover below the instrument cluster. The top disengages but the bottom does not. Do you have any suggestions? During the process, something came loose and now my dash rattles when going over rough parts of the road.
Try and pry open the two sides of the trim piece a little more, and pull the whole trim piece/assembly straight back. There are attachment points inside each side, as well as the visible ones inside the middle section. Pull straight back. It does come out. Once you've done it one time, you'll see how it works, and it will be much easier next time. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:28 PM
seolman
2nd Gear

Thanks Ten Year for the suggestion.

I really tried again but was still not able to pull it out. Instead, I ended up damaging the edge of the cluster. Is there a special tool you need or do you have pictures of the brackets in the trip piece so that I have a better idea on how to pull this out? Any recommendation is appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-12-2015, 07:33 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Carrera Mike,

Seolman, sorry i just saw ur msg. That plastic piece shldnt be that hard to pull.bshould just pull out straight back. Try using a 90deg tip awl. Just be carefull not to scratch plastics with that tip. If there are tabs locking it u could lightly pry them with a long skinny flat tip screw driver.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:23 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ten Year for the suggestion.

I really tried again but was still not able to pull it out. Instead, I ended up damaging the edge of the cluster. Is there a special tool you need or do you have pictures of the brackets in the trip piece so that I have a better idea on how to pull this out? Any recommendation is appreciated. Thanks
Hi, sorry, I'm just now seeing this. CM is right in his most recent reply. The plastic trim piece is completely separate from the instrument cluster. Sounds like pergolas you were tugging at the lower rims of the actual gauge pods? Is that where the damage has occurred? The trim piece is small and independent of the cluster. It looks like this:

It really just pulls straight out. Then there are two screws for the cluster, and then the cluster itself pulls out, with just the blue connector in the back left side of the cluster itself.

I also followed CM's DIY when I did mine the first time. I've actually had mine out a couple of times each, in both the 997.2s I've had. Thanks, to CM for putting together such a detailed DIY! Cheers.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:21 AM
carlinhos lima
1st Gear

:digitando:Good Morning.
I have a 997 turbo year 2007, and the BOTAO SPORT on the console is not working, we already executed the services of codifications in the instrument panel and also in PSM, but without success.
Has anyone had this problem yet
Old 11-12-2016, 10:10 AM
mikeson
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
I hate my white gauge faces with a vengeance (this looks so "rice")
Does anyone know where I can get good quality black faces?
I have a solution for you.
Change with mine. =)
Old 12-06-2016, 10:16 PM
djastral69
Intermediate

Subscribed*
Old 12-13-2016, 06:45 AM
DannyL
5th Gear

Chaps,

Is there a DIY for the 2012 - 2016 Carrera 991 REMOVING THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER? I've looked everywhere and can only find one for the 997.

Thanks,

Danny.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:06 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Try the 991 forum.

Quick Reply: REMOVING THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DIY