PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
What I take out of your posts...

3 pedal for DE!

2 pedal for racing!

A whole 'nother reason to choose the PDK over the manual is the wife acceptance factor, and especially when one Porsche is not enough..thought I'd lighten it up a little.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:51 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

^ You know; I wouldn't disagree, although I'd not thought that beforehand.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:25 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
tip gives me nightmares... never will i ever.. and i think the cayenne isnt a proper platform for manual.. ill get a pdk one.

to the OP:

i would feel that pdk would be better with an option to set default=auto or manual.. as when i pull the lever down.. i just go to auto and stay there more often than id likee.
But what SUV would you get then? They all have automatics. The Tip in a Cayenne (SUV) shifts itself very well and is a stout trouble free transmission.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:40 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
...I guess I am missing something. If a driver wants to be fast and not work at it, then get the auto. If a driver doesn't have the time to put into the sport to get good, then get the auto. If the driver cannot get good, then get the auto. Each mentioned driver will have a better time. But those drivers will be missing something in my mind. But thats just me .. And, if they are 'faster' than me, well I don't mind as its the car ..
Your concern for PDK owner's "missing something" is most likely unnecessary.

There should be no assumption that PDK owners have never and will never master an MT. That may be some "future" consequence, but at present, I think that's what you are missing: the likelihood that most PDK owners are quite familiar with MTs - in fact much more familiar with MTs since PDK is fairly new. Trying to correlate PDK with speed and lack of skill, while each may be true for some drivers, seems too narrow to apply in general; it leaves out completely the possibility that some may just be having fun.

It must be vexing to see some MT veterans letting HAL shift the P-car, but that's technology - some are drawn to it like a moth to a flame. That's my excuse. I think PDK is pretty fun in its own right, just as an MT can be.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:42 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

This PDK vs. Manual debate in some ways mirrors the old school air cooled 911s vs. new school water cooled 911s debate. Old school claims there's a certain charm and fun factor that can't be matched in mastering the flawed Porsche RWD rear engine design traits. The new school 911s are a better performer in almost every respect, as Porsche engineers have worked hard to overcome inherent design challenges. Yet old school will argue the fun factor and bravado of the older 911 rule the day nevertheless.

Variety is the spice of life. I’m glad Porsche still offers a choice. Ferrari, BMW M, and even the Nissan GT-R don’t in many cases. Personally, I still prefer the fun factor of a stick shift manual over the more advance systems of paddle shifters or buttons. I wouldn’t be opposed to owning a PDK car, but somewhere in my stable would need to be a classic stick shift.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
Personally, I still prefer the fun factor of a stick shift manual over the more advance systems of paddle shifters or buttons. I wouldn’t be opposed to owning a PDK car, but somewhere in my stable would need to be a classic stick shift.
That's exactly my thought as well. I have no chip on my shoulder or axe to grind against PDK. On this very subject, it's merely a personal preference and nothing more. What I want -- and am working toward -- is one of each.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:19 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I have my 87 westy 4 speed to crawl around with :>)
Old 10-08-2009, 01:18 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

In 5-10 years form now, the resale value difference should show what we prefer. Untill then, its like arguing about color: personal preference!
Old 10-08-2009, 01:24 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
^
What I take out of your posts...

3 pedal for DE!

2 pedal for racing!

A whole 'nother reason to choose the PDK over the manual is the wife acceptance factor, and especially when one Porsche is not enough..thought I'd lighten it up a little.
...and I have a whole other reason to buy PDK!
Old 10-08-2009, 09:48 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

It seems like the biggest PDK objection is the paddle shift. Well, this will be an option in mid 2010 so hold off on your order. It will cost about 485.00. I understand it is now available on the turbo only.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:36 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by 997S X PO BOX
It seems like the biggest PDK objection is the paddle shift. Well, this will be an option in mid 2010 so hold off on your order. It will cost about 485.00. I understand it is now available on the turbo only.
What is your Cayman going to have PDK buttons or paddles or are you doing a manual?

Quick Reply: who would choose PDK over manual?