Sponsored by:

who would choose PDK over manual?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:24 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
What you mention is true, but only given the correct circumstances. My bet is that you get bored with the PDK very quickly.
I completely agree. I think PDK would be fun for a while, but eventually you would get bored with it.

I'll stick with the stick.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
I completely agree. I think PDK would be fun for a while, but eventually you would get bored with it.

I'll stick with the stick.
Paddles, paddles, we don't need no stinking paddles!
Old 09-18-2008, 12:07 PM
saltydawg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately much of the sentiment in this thread is based on ignorance. I will reserve judgement until I have actually driven the PDK.

Humans are naturally apprehensive about trying new things and have a strong desire to hold on to what they know. This is a very common human and animal behavior.

I will post my impressions of the PDK AFTER I have actually tried one out.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:22 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Bogus anthropological premise there. When it comes to automotive performance and technology - we embrace change... no, we crave change.

Ignorance? Most of us haven't driven automatics before? PDK is just a far, far better automatic - it ain't some entirely new technology which (see the foregoing) we would welcome with open arms anyway, simply because it's new and slick and secondly, because it represents a performance uptick.

Gotta have the latest and greatest - that's the manrule for all toys.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:27 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 120 Posts

I never even considered ordering a PDK, but the more I read and watched, the idea seemed more attractive. I think it would be great if my wife or my mom could take my car on occassion without me worrying about the clutch. All the magazines and reviewers seem to love it and say it is better than the manual in almost every respect. I still chose the manual, even though it is older technology, slower, and forces me to keep one hand off the steering wheel.

I'd like to hear your impressions after you drive the PDK for real world experience.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:06 PM
saltydawg
Advanced

Honestly, without having driven a PDK car, I suspect I will prefer the manual. I will reserve judgement however.

I disagree that the PDK is a far far better automatic. From what I know, the PDK can be driven as a pure manual. I would describe the PDK as a manual with an automatic clutch. Maybe that's just semantics.

I don't think the manrule for toys is having the latest and greatest. I think the manrule is having the toy which brings the most fun. An analogy is watches. As a timekeeping device, there is no question that a modern quartz watch is superior to the old fashioned mechanical watches. The quartz watch keeps near perfect time, is cheaper to purchase, and requires no maintenence. Yet watch collectors for the most part want nothing to do with quartz watches. They want the expensive, poorly performing manual watches. There is simply a male fascination with the gears and the low tech nature of the device. We can understand and appreciate the gears of the watch versus the black box perfection of the quartz.

I think the PDK is similar. The PDK is better performing, achieves better fuel economy, offers the option of automatic driving when desired, and arguably will be more durable. Can you have as much fun driving the PDK? I don't know. As a tool, the PDK is superior. As a toy, the manual may be superior.

Conjecturing about the PDK without first objectively trying it is fine. That conjecturing for me however carries very little impact in assessing a new technology or idea. It's a "don't confuse me with the facts" approach.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I've been driving M/T's for over 20 years (sheesh that sounds long!) and I can say that the PDK, honest to goodness makes me feel like I'm driving a true race car. I love it. I've been getting more and more seat time in it, and the more I drive it the conclusions are : It's the best automatic I've ever driven- NO shift points- ZERO, silky smooth and BLISTERING quick on the downshifts when the right foot is applied. When combined with Sports Chrono it'll hold onto the gears so you can make your apex w/o worry of it upshifting at the wrong time. Also it'll blip the throttle on downshift requests.

In manual mode, again, I still can't get used to the way the paddles work. But I say tosser!! And just use the 'flick of the wrist' shifter instead. It's like a video-game. I've made myself giggle like a little girl more then a few times with the PDK.

- one point of difference, is that when you're manaully changing gears- you have to becareful because it'll change gears QUICKER then you can think to change gears. As soon as you've flicked the shifter to downshift and go- BAM! it's downshifted to 2nd gear and going like a raped ape. YOU MUST PAY ATTENTION OR YOU'LL HIT THE REV LIMITER. it's that fast.

Now I just want to test out a new DFI car with the M/T to see the real difference.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:03 PM
ozcav
Instructor

Like everyone else, I don't like the PDK paddle layout. But, my e46M3 with SMG was fantastic once I learned how to use it. As stated above, it was useless in auto and there really was a learning curve to using it properly. It looks like PDK makes it too easy to drive. What was nice about SMG was that for around town driving you tend to move up and down through the gears even more. In this type of driving, it slightly improves the driving experience. If I had more opportunity to go on winding road drives, while the SMG would have been faster, the 6 speed would have been more fun. Around town, not having a third pedal was nice. Thankfully, the current paddle layout keeps me from having to worry about making the switch to PDK in the 997 at this time.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Maxsar
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I might end up with the PDK. My understanding is it is faster on a track. I have heard that from a number of sources including the instructors at PSDS. I am hoping to join a country club track, and while my heel toe downshifts have gotten pretty good, I can see the benefit of having a quicker shifting option.

Of the new options offered I have to say that the seats that blow air up your a__ is one I could really use. I sweat a lot and hate getting out of the car with the back of my shirt sticking to my skin.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:55 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by saltydawg
Honestly, without having driven a PDK car, I suspect I will prefer the manual. I will reserve judgement however.

I disagree that the PDK is a far far better automatic. From what I know, the PDK can be driven as a pure manual. I would describe the PDK as a manual with an automatic clutch. Maybe that's just semantics.

I don't think the manrule for toys is having the latest and greatest. I think the manrule is having the toy which brings the most fun. An analogy is watches. As a timekeeping device, there is no question that a modern quartz watch is superior to the old fashioned mechanical watches. The quartz watch keeps near perfect time, is cheaper to purchase, and requires no maintenence. Yet watch collectors for the most part want nothing to do with quartz watches. They want the expensive, poorly performing manual watches. There is simply a male fascination with the gears and the low tech nature of the device. We can understand and appreciate the gears of the watch versus the black box perfection of the quartz.

I think the PDK is similar. The PDK is better performing, achieves better fuel economy, offers the option of automatic driving when desired, and arguably will be more durable. Can you have as much fun driving the PDK? I don't know. As a tool, the PDK is superior. As a toy, the manual may be superior.

Conjecturing about the PDK without first objectively trying it is fine. That conjecturing for me however carries very little impact in assessing a new technology or idea. It's a "don't confuse me with the facts" approach.
Good comparison
Old 09-18-2008, 07:18 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

everyone who has tried a pdk... wants it. porsche here are speccing almost all their cars with it now.

now.. it just have to come on the turbo, and we will sell our manual 997T, and get a pdk.. some friends with 997 GT2 will also do the same if that ever comes out.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:39 PM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Mate; driven it yet? If not- I think you'll change your song on that one.
I'm looking forward to try it. I read in a Brit mag. that it's not as involving as a stick. I just can't see myself being in auto all the time, it's just boring to me, I enjoy shifting. According to a study from Ferrari people with an F1 transmission leave it on auto 99% of the time. It's just a glorified auto transmission.
I own a R32 with a DSG (daily driver), while I am very impressed with the transmission it's no substitute to a manual. To each his own...

Saying that I have no doubt that the PDK is great, but not for me, maybe on a different car but not on my Porsche.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by zizu
I'm looking forward to try it. I read in a Brit mag. that it's not as involving as a stick. I just can't see myself being in auto all the time, it's just boring to me, I enjoy shifting. According to a study from Ferrari people with an F1 transmission leave it on auto 99% of the time. It's just a glorified auto transmission.
I own a R32 with a DSG (daily driver), while I am very impressed with the transmission it's no substitute to a manual. To each his own...

Saying that I have no doubt that the PDK is great, but not for me, maybe on a different car but not on my Porsche.
ahh, so you do you have a great idea what it's about. Gotcha.

Yep. pretty much like the DSG boxes. Myself I'd be in manual mode all the time.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:54 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by saltydawg
The reasons I am considering the PDK:...
1. The latest technology...
Who cares? If you want the latest technology, buy a Prius.

2. Convenience for the around town, stop and go traffic driving.
I don't drive my 911 for convenience. I drive it for fun.

3. My wife can drive it on occasion.
That's a benefit?

4. Better performance.
I'd rather shift manually and loose a few milliseconds, thanks.

5. Better fuel efficiency.
Not a priority.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:02 PM
saltydawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by _Nathan
1. The latest technology...
Who cares? If you want the latest technology, buy a Prius.

2. Convenience for the around town, stop and go traffic driving.
I don't drive my 911 for convenience. I drive it for fun.

3. My wife can drive it on occasion.
That's a benefit?

4. Better performance.
I'd rather shift manually and loose a few milliseconds, thanks.

5. Better fuel efficiency.
Not a priority.
Those are all excellent rebuttals. Exactly why I am not sold on PDK and will very likely end up with a manual. I will not pre-judge the PDK without giving it a real hands on assessment however.

Quick Reply: who would choose PDK over manual?