Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Park Assist - the most important option...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
I have them on our Cayenne S and they are useless. At least that's what my wife said when she backed into a Mini in the school parking lot. I asked her why she didn't hear the beeping and see the red warning lights. [sarcasm / off]

I guess for the same reason that Lewis Hamilton did not see the red light at the end of the pit exit, and the presently stopped car of Kimi Raikonen, into whose rear end he promptly slammed in that expensive Formula One car, ending the race for the two of them.

Agreed though.. its a useful tool, especially WHILE you learn the length of your new car, and sometimes, you really do need to get so close with your back end that you can no longer really judge the distance. Can you tell the difference between 2 inches away and 5 inches away? Sometimes that's what you need, lest you want to make a 10 point turn to get out of the space.

Those sensors do break up the smooth surface of the bumper cover. A bumper cover design that better hid those would work.

Adding additional sensors into the front fenders to signal in parallel for the left and right should be easy enough to wire in aftermarket... down at the bottom skirt to prevent wheel rub on concrete curb... a good thing. Not sure why that's not part of the system.

I mean, I know very well how long my VW Golf is; having driven it for 14 years now. But when I climb into that 911 for the first time, I'll have no clue of a gut feel for how long it is, and until I gain that confidence and feeling, I'd like to avoid backing into things.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:28 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had mine installed aftermarket and like them. Reassuring with a $93 k car. 2 quarter-sized black sensors over the back bumper are hardly noticeable.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:24 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasvoboda
I loaded my 997 cab with options. The only two I wish I had ordered are park assist (the blind spot on a cab is huge) and multifunction sterring wheel. Live and learn. I had park sensors on my BMW 530 and loved them.
I have the MF steering wheel and haven't used the controls more than once or twice.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:35 PM
OneManTX
Pro

Backup camera to complement the sensors would be awesome. Yes, knowing the length of your car is great, but seeing what you can't see even with your head turned around is even better.

I love the camera and the little green and yellow and red warning bars on the X5 and my wife's Lexus. Not ashamed to say they would be sweet on the Porsche.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:51 AM
jackolo
Advanced

I love park assist.
I have never had problems parking before and am proud to say I could 9/10 times parallel park SUVs in one try in the tightest spots, but damn! Park assist just made it all that much easier. After trying both, I do prefer an audible parking sensor versus a rear view camera though.

And yes... I'm a tool... I ordered the Porsche Crest in the headrest. haha

Quick Reply: Park Assist - the most important option...