Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK: Why not user-selectable paddle directions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:26 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I truly don't understand why this is such a big deal... I drove the car and it all worked fine to me. Maybe because I don't have a Ferrari or a BMW to confuse me...

But I drove the car, shifted without problems, I was not frustrated or confused and could care less what other car manufactures did to their cars. The buttons are actually well placed, no major fuss. I could see it a bit of a problem trying to shift if you have to cross your arms and get them out of the 3-9 position... in that situation paddles in the back that you can access independant of steering position would be nice but even then I could care less on the direction for the shift...

PDK is a great tranny, I never thought I would say that about an automatic... (well, that tranny on the Aston Martin DB9 and the Maserati Gran Turismo is also sweet)... maybe I am getting old...
Old 10-27-2008, 10:20 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Concur - it took about 30 seconds to adapt.

Pull the left for downshifts , push the right for upshifts

very straightforward...

Adapt people.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:14 PM
jjl
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

to be honest, i think people are making too big a deal over the PDK shifters...just deal with it. you'll get used to it.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:39 PM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just tried a 911 cab PDK. PDK was as impressive as all of us have read...but I think I would still choose the manual. The paddles are counterintuitive, but yes, you adapt fast. The most impressive thing is how easy and fast is to downshift to prepare for a turn. This is the best auto / manual I have ever tried, including Ferrari F430 F1. On another note, the new engine is powerful and effective, but it lacks in the sound department versus the old one.

Quick Reply: PDK: Why not user-selectable paddle directions?