Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK: Why not user-selectable paddle directions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:35 AM
Killdog
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDK: Why not user-selectable paddle directions?

I've been an admiring reader for quite a while, but never posted before now.

I've had a 2002 Targa, and a 2003 C4S, both with manual transmissions, and just loved my experience with both. In looking to purchase a new C4S in 12-18 months, PDK sounds like the first non-stick shifter I would consider.

In the few reviews I've read, the only universal complaint seems to be the Push-Upshift, Pull-Downshift direction Porsche has chosen for the paddles and gearshift. Since everything communicates electronically instead of by hardwire anyway here is my (hopefully neither naive nor uninformed) question:

Why can't Porsche allow owners to choose the orientation of the paddle actions by programming individual cars 1) at the factory, when the car is ordered, 2) at the dealer, when the car is brought in, or 3) in PCM, when the owner feels like it?

(Sorry so long)

Mark
Old 09-09-2008, 09:34 AM
saltydawg
Advanced

Seems like an absolutely feasible and reasonable idea. The steering wheel shifters are indeed simply electronic. I would think with the sports chrono option that Porsche could make the polarity of the shifting user selectable. Fantastic idea.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:52 AM
GHills
Instructor

Germans aren't big on taking feedback. See porsche/paddles/sport chrono, bmw/idrive/bangle, merc/comand/electronic brakes etc etc

Its related to the expression "You can always tell an engineer, you just can't tell him much" but worse.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Circe
Advanced

Maybe somebody in the aftermarket world will come up with a quick fix.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Marco8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove one for an hour and had the same thought. I think it would be easy to do, but I believe it could potentially cause confusion and if somehow someone had an accident ...... legal liability. Hence they will probably never do it.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:50 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

I was just about to ask this when I found it through STFF. I don't understand why the shifting is handled a pilot's way either. maybe one could take apart the steering wheel and repin. Unless that function is controlled by SW and transmitted through MOST.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 150 Posts

I imagine it isn't user-programmable because it would cause valets, service people, (and maybe owners), etc. grief.

If enough people complain, maybe they'll switch it. BMW did this with their Steptronics starting in ~2002 to match SMG after its introduction.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:18 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I have been living with my PDK now for 1000 miles. I have been using the PDK 90% in manual mode.

Shifting with the paddles or the stick is very simple to me now and makes a lot of sence. Push forward to go forward/up through the gears and pull back to go back/down through the gears.

I am having no issues at all shifting the PDK manually now.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:24 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I have been living with my PDK now for 1000 miles. I have been using the PDK 90% in manual mode.

Shifting with the paddles or the stick is very simple to me now and makes a lot of sence. Push forward to go forward/up through the gears and pull back to go back/down through the gears.

I am having no issues at all shifting the PDK manually now.
Are you coming to PDK from tip or manual? If you were a manual driver it would be interesting to hear how you feel about changing gears sans clutch.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:49 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Marco8
I drove one for an hour and had the same thought. I think it would be easy to do, but I believe it could potentially cause confusion and if somehow someone had an accident ...... legal liability. Hence they will probably never do it.
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I imagine it isn't user-programmable because it would cause valets, service people, (and maybe owners), etc. grief.
This was my initial reaction as well, but it would be as simple as lighting up the "+" and "-" on the paddle to reflect which mode they were set to. It would probably be best to bury the function deep into the user interface, though.

Anyway, nobody seems to have trouble with reverse being in different places in manual transmissions...don't see how this would be any different than that.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:44 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Its a learned skill....a few hours and all will be fine!
Get use to it!
Old 10-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Circe
Maybe somebody in the aftermarket world will come up with a quick fix.
That's what I'm thinking. The same folks that make the power top modules, iPod adapters, etc., should be able to come up with something to change the signal. Since it's not a mechanical thing, strictly an electronic signal, I'd imagine it's possible.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:28 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by ADias
Are you coming to PDK from tip or manual? If you were a manual driver it would be interesting to hear how you feel about changing gears sans clutch.
I guess I need to tell you my situation. I had my entire left leg amputated 5 years ago due to being hit while riding my motorcycle. I can not push a clutch anymore due to this. Even though I walk fine with a prosthetic leg there is no way to push the clutch or to even keep the prosthetic foot on the clutch pedal.

Before this my Vette's and Porsche's were manuals. Back then the automatics where no where near as good as this new PDK. I had to switch to the Tiptronic for my Porsche's...I had no choice. Plus it was way better than the Vette's auto tranny.

The Tip was not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. On the track I was just as fast as the 6 speed guys and at Barber I was faster due to the track and Tip gearing. The PDK is light years ahead of any automatic and seriously I would probably pick PDK even if I can 2 legs. For everyday driving it is awesome and I can only imagine what it will be like on the track.

The only way I would pick a manual (if I could physically shift it) is if I still had dreams and asperations to try and heel and toe as good as Hurley Haywood...and...we all know that will never ever happen.

The PDK is faster than a manual especially for us hack drivers on this forum....just deal with it guys.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:29 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by MJones
Its a learned skill....a few hours and all will be fine!
Get use to it!
+1
Old 10-27-2008, 02:26 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

totally agree with mdrums here on this one. it's a fabulous transmission. i don't own one yet, but i'm sure i will.

Quick Reply: PDK: Why not user-selectable paddle directions?