TPMS - must have?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by MLindgren
It probably wouldn't have done much for you if you were suffering a rapid loss of pressure at freeway speed.
Actually, I like it for (1) trend analysis,--I can see if the TP is a bit low. It causes me to think,--"why is that not at 39 psi like the other rear?"

When at freeway speeds I DID get the alert that stated "Flat Tyre" (sic) and got that notice quickly enough to take that exit and then hightail it for the nearest gas station where I proceeded to plug it with own plug kit (do a search for the composition of it). Without a spare tire we have to really stay on top of these things. I applaud Dave in the Boston area not having to deal with debris in the roadways. Out west it's still fairly "wild" and I can use every trick in the book to stay out of trouble.

If what you're doing is looking at a pre-07 MY car without it, you can survive without it, and can adopt several aftermarket solutions. Some are as simple as special valve caps,--but I don't know the resolution of those.

TPMS needs to be fully understood to have utility. I generally have that display up as one of my standard, default, displays. When ever I see a TP off by 2 or more PSI (I start cold with 33 and 29) I begin to take special note of things. I will either put a puff of air in that particular tire or just watch it. Some others use it with the display showing a delta from the optimal TP. I prefer it to tell me the actual TP in real time. Obviously, TPs grow with use as the tires warm up, and I appreciate being able to watch the numbers going up evenly. There is so much accuracy potential in these things that you can sometimes tell which clock direction you're driving. If your right tires are showing higher pressures than your lefts, there is a good chance you're been eastbound for some time! (The sunny side IS wamer).
Old 09-06-2008, 06:31 PM
entdoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't have TPMS on my last car ('05 coupe) and it cost me a couple of tires. I check my pressures frequently but not daily. On two occasions, I had a slow leak from nails. By the time I noticed that the tires looked flat (which I find difficult on 19's) they were already damaged and needed replacement instead of plugging. The new car has TPMS and I no longer worry about the issue.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:21 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Actually, I like it for (1) trend analysis,--I can see if the TP is a bit low. It causes me to think,--"why is that not at 39 psi like the other rear?"

When at freeway speeds I DID get the alert that stated "Flat Tyre" (sic) and got that notice quickly enough to take that exit and then hightail it for the nearest gas station where I proceeded to plug it with own plug kit (do a search for the composition of it). Without a spare tire we have to really stay on top of these things. I applaud Dave in the Boston area not having to deal with debris in the roadways. Out west it's still fairly "wild" and I can use every trick in the book to stay out of trouble.

If what you're doing is looking at a pre-07 MY car without it, you can survive without it, and can adopt several aftermarket solutions. Some are as simple as special valve caps,--but I don't know the resolution of those.

TPMS needs to be fully understood to have utility. I generally have that display up as one of my standard, default, displays. When ever I see a TP off by 2 or more PSI (I start cold with 33 and 29) I begin to take special note of things. I will either put a puff of air in that particular tire or just watch it. Some others use it with the display showing a delta from the optimal TP. I prefer it to tell me the actual TP in real time. Obviously, TPs grow with use as the tires warm up, and I appreciate being able to watch the numbers going up evenly. There is so much accuracy potential in these things that you can sometimes tell which clock direction you're driving. If your right tires are showing higher pressures than your lefts, there is a good chance you're been eastbound for some time! (The sunny side IS wamer).
Are you running Nitrogen?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:45 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

I entered the 1st reply and soon found others claiming it was extreme. I disagree. In these days of stiff low-profile tires it's difficult to tell you have a leak. TPMS tells you that. I read here many hang up on TPMS accuracy - that is not the issue; it may not be absolutely accurate i.e., it may tell you it's 37 when it's 39 , but more importantly it will tell you if it changed. Yeah...essential!
Old 09-06-2008, 11:46 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01

Dan's reply and real-world experience is spot on.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

I did not have it on my previous 997 and never missed it. As a matter of fact, it wasn't on any of the cars I've driven between 1983 and now, and I was just fine with that.

Now, sadly, it is indeed essential, because I've gotten soooooo used to it... it's my default display and actually pointed out a near-flat tire, so it has helped me once. That being said, I think it's not very accurate and I've already had it recalibrated at the dealership once.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:34 AM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
I entered the 1st reply and soon found others claiming it was extreme. I disagree. In these days of stiff low-profile tires it's difficult to tell you have a leak. TPMS tells you that. I read here many hang up on TPMS accuracy - that is not the issue; it may not be absolutely accurate i.e., it may tell you it's 37 when it's 39 , but more importantly it will tell you if it changed. Yeah...essential!

It's essential on my cars.

Quick Reply: TPMS - must have?