Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GUYS WHO REMOVED THEIR SHIFTER BOOT/TRIMMING

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:44 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

I did my center console in Arctic silver to match the outside, and had the B&M shifter installed at the same time. Looks great!
Old 03-27-2010, 02:48 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

OK, a friend who is a racing mechanic and I just spent over an hour trying to figure out how to get the boot off of my 997.1, unsuccessfully. We used the B&M instructions, this thread, and another thread on the topic, with no luck. The back of the boot (and/or the internal boot frame) does NOT just lift up, or unclip, or anything else. I wasn't particularly enthused about just whaling on the thing until it broke, either. Any other photos/hints as to how the @#$%$&^#$#$%$#% boot/frame comes off?
Old 03-28-2010, 01:41 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
OK, a friend who is a racing mechanic and I just spent over an hour trying to figure out how to get the boot off of my 997.1, unsuccessfully. We used the B&M instructions, this thread, and another thread on the topic, with no luck. The back of the boot (and/or the internal boot frame) does NOT just lift up, or unclip, or anything else. I wasn't particularly enthused about just whaling on the thing until it broke, either. Any other photos/hints as to how the @#$%$&^#$#$%$#% boot/frame comes off?
I used the instructions from the MACarbon WEB Site for Center Console install when I did my shift trim, ebrake, and shifter - great instructions with very good detail.

You can see in the photos above (and MACarbon instructions) there are 3 clips, two on the sides and one dead center rear - if you have a set of trim tools like is shown on the MACarbon instructions (and I suggest the painters tape and every other instruction they give as well) it should go pretty easily. Trim tool to either side of the clip and pry up firmly.

If you don't have the tools and supplies MACarbon shows, then you should get them before getting into it.

Getting the **** off is tough (even for PDK and worse for 6spd) and their warning is, if you have to remove it, be careful not to hit the rear view mirror with it. Words to the wise.

Quick Reply: GUYS WHO REMOVED THEIR SHIFTER BOOT/TRIMMING