Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bearing Problems in your Future???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 03:40 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

It's clear that you argue for a thicker multigrade, say 5W40 or higher, but you also say that one should use 'better' oils, I guess, implying, that you would prefer another brand other than Mobil 1. Is that your position? and what brands do you recommend?
Old 08-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by looney2n
This is one professional's opinion:

"The Federal DOT mandated a clutch pedal interlock that requires clutch disengagement to start the car and thats why the thrust bearings wear out prematurely. Its exacerbated by the thin oils needed to operate the VarioCam hydraulics."
Yup. Americans get screwed by their own stupid citizens and the government that then demands we protect everyone from their own stupidity, even if the stupid are only a tiny subset of the population. We have child interlocks on everything from lighters, to 100K+ sports cars it seems.

So the solution, it would seem, is a clean and proper way to disable that stupid interlock so we an drive like adults again.

(and yes, I've been known to try and start my VW Golf with it in gear.. and turn red in the face every time it lurches .. lucky for me its only happened 3 times in 10 years, and the car never went anywhere ... because my foot is on the brake by default, when starting a car)
Old 08-08-2008, 06:43 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
It's clear that you argue for a thicker multigrade, say 5W40 or higher, but you also say that one should use 'better' oils, I guess, implying, that you would prefer another brand other than Mobil 1. Is that your position? and what brands do you recommend?

Some Mobil synthetics are fine, such as their 15W50 Extended Perfromance which still has the proper level of cleaners in it. I also use Pennzoil and Syntec.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been running Mobil 1 (admittedly 10w40 for most of the 14 years) in my VW Golf for 140,000 miles, after the first oil change at 5000 miles. No problems what-so-ever. I do know there are issues if switching to Mobil 1 from an engine that has had non-synthetic as the standard oil for some time, as the Mobile 1 will flush the dinojuice out of the various gaskets and seals which can then start to leak. But nothing has started to leak with just the Mobil 1... but I've only been on 0w40 since moving up to Seattle from Baton Rouge, 3 years ago.

Quick Reply: Bearing Problems in your Future???