Change Mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:39 PM
enduro963
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Change Mufflers?

everyone!

I have a Carrera S 2005 bought in may of that year and has 17,000 kms now.
Dealer told me after last service in May that the two mufflers boxes had to be changed. It costs over here above $3,000 dollars! It is making a sort of loose metal sound back there. I am posting a photo of one of the mufflers and a link to a video of the exhaust noise. Near the end of the video the loose metal sound can be heard somewhat.

Has anyone with a 997 had to change their mufflers because of this? How much did you pay?

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gECUeybGMyo
Attached Images  
Old 07-31-2008, 02:03 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

$3000 for stock mufflers! What freakin dealer was this? Someone on here will proably give you theirs. If not go get some AWE or Fabspeed mufflers for around $1200. Not only do they cost less they sound better too. After you get you AWE ro Fabspeeds installed call your Porsche dealer back and tell him you fixed the stock mufflers and it was just the muffler bearing!

http://www.fabspeed.com/997_997S_997GT3.html The Fabspeed mufflers are what I have been using since 2006. I love them

http://www.awetuning.com/pages/share...IL=997Sexhaust these are also popular mufflers. Some friends of mine at the track use these too.

Last edited by mdrums; 07-31-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:22 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mufflers

Originally Posted by enduro963
everyone!

I have a Carrera S 2005 bought in may of that year and has 17,000 kms now.
Dealer told me after last service in May that the two mufflers boxes had to be changed. It costs over here above $3,000 dollars! It is making a sort of loose metal sound back there. I am posting a photo of one of the mufflers and a link to a video of the exhaust noise. Near the end of the video the loose metal sound can be heard somewhat.

Has anyone with a 997 had to change their mufflers because of this? How much did you pay?

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gECUeybGMyo
I just bought a used 2006 997S and have a set of FVD Mufflers which I am going to put on after I take off the ones on the car. I will sell you mine for $900. If you want new FVD mufflers, you can buy them at www.fvd.de. Included are pics of the FVD mufflers I have. I think the FVD mufflers are running around $1700
Attached Images    
Old 07-31-2008, 05:20 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think I've ever heard of a set of OEM mufflers needing replacement in all my 'surfing' on various Porsche boards.

By the looks of your tips it appears that you have the Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE). Maybe one of the vacuum actuated 'valves' is stuck, broken or not properly connected. I didn't detect any loose metal sound from your video. Remember you'll have a raspier exhaust sound upon start up and if your PSE is in the 'loud mode'.

If your mufflers are 'bad' it'll be far less expensive to buy an aftermarket or used set of OEM mufflers. You can always find them on the Porsche boards or eBay.

Good luck

ps. Why is that plastic rear fender inner trim piece loose on the photo you attacted? Maybe it's vibrating and making noise.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:04 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Since this car is less than 4 yo...shouldn't this be under warranty?

abe
Old 07-31-2008, 07:41 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Also I meant to say for you to check the metal bar that hold the lower 1/4 panel in place that goes right by the front of the muffler. Sometimes it can come loose and vibrate on the muffler.

I watched you video and see you have Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE) so scratch my idea of after market mufflers I posted above. Keep the PSE...it sounds awesome. Only way I'd take PSE off is if I was building a track car.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:38 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I am having a similar problem with my PSE, haven't seen the dealer yet but hoping its a warranty item.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:41 PM
enduro963
Instructor

Originally Posted by mdrums
$3000 for stock mufflers! What freakin dealer was this? Someone on here will proably give you theirs. If not go get some AWE or Fabspeed mufflers for around $1200. Not only do they cost less they sound better too. After you get you AWE ro Fabspeeds installed call your Porsche dealer back and tell him you fixed the stock mufflers and it was just the muffler bearing!

http://www.fabspeed.com/997_997S_997GT3.html The Fabspeed mufflers are what I have been using since 2006. I love them

http://www.awetuning.com/pages/share...IL=997Sexhaust these are also popular mufflers. Some friends of mine at the track use these too.
Mdrums, I know, the prices are very high. Such is life over here in Mexico. But I am very close to Texas so we have options!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:43 PM
enduro963
Instructor

Originally Posted by bella1
I just bought a used 2006 997S and have a set of FVD Mufflers which I am going to put on after I take off the ones on the car. I will sell you mine for $900. If you want new FVD mufflers, you can buy them at www.fvd.de. Included are pics of the FVD mufflers I have. I think the FVD mufflers are running around $1700
Bella1, does your 997S have PSE? Mine does. Will the boxes be different? How many miles does the car have?
Old 07-31-2008, 09:46 PM
enduro963
Instructor

Originally Posted by AP997S
I don't think I've ever heard of a set of OEM mufflers needing replacement in all my 'surfing' on various Porsche boards.

By the looks of your tips it appears that you have the Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE). Maybe one of the vacuum actuated 'valves' is stuck, broken or not properly connected. I didn't detect any loose metal sound from your video. Remember you'll have a raspier exhaust sound upon start up and if your PSE is in the 'loud mode'.

If your mufflers are 'bad' it'll be far less expensive to buy an aftermarket or used set of OEM mufflers. You can always find them on the Porsche boards or eBay.

Good luck

ps. Why is that plastic rear fender inner trim piece loose on the photo you attacted? Maybe it's vibrating and making noise.
AP, thanks! I will look into it. The video was shot with the car starting up and the exhaust in normal mode.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:49 PM
enduro963
Instructor

Angry

Originally Posted by abe
abe
Abe, we are not as lucky as Porsche USA customers. 2 year warranty in Mexico!

Although i do have the extended warranty, they were very prompt informing me that exhaust was not covered.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:51 PM
enduro963
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcnesq
I am having a similar problem with my PSE, haven't seen the dealer yet but hoping its a warranty item.
Jim, let me know how you solve it, please!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:24 PM
Thegman
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your mufflers are (really) shot, go get a set of GHL stainless sport mufflers. They fit perfectly, are easy to install, sound awesome and if you wait till winter, they will be on sale! You won't be disappointed!
Old 08-01-2008, 01:19 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Enduro,
I just replaced my OEM mufflers with aftermarket ones (agency power) and can make you a great deal on my OEM mufflers. I have a 06 9974S with 13K miles.
Just PM me and I'll give them to you for next to nothing!
Rob
Old 08-20-2008, 11:45 AM
John@Fabspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums

Thanks mdrums for the kind words and thanks to everyone who is using our systems and the great feedback were getting. Let us know if you ever have any questions.

Thanks,
Alex@Fabspeed

Fabspeed Motorsport USA
215-646-4945
Alex@Fabspeed.com
www.Fabspeed.com

Ultimate quality T304 Stainless Steel exhaust systems, Carbon fiber airboxes and DME engine management chips for all cars. Worlds Most Powerful exhaust systems independently PCA club DYNO tested. Porsche, Ferrrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Bentley!

Quick Reply: Change Mufflers?