Sponsored by:

Purchasing New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 11:12 AM
kasendorf
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing New Tires

I am looking to replace the tires on my '05 997 cab. I am happy with my current currently have Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's and would live to replace them withthe same tire. The problem is that they appear to be out of stock or back ordered everywhere I check. I usually purchase from tirerack and they have benn back ordered for the last few months. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Any of the "N" rated tires will work just fine on your car. The N spec tires have been tested and approved by Porsche. Yoou should have a chooice of Continental, Michelin and Pirelli as well as the Bridgestones you have now. Note an N spec tire is not a must, any top tier high performance tire will do well on your car but purists prefer to stick with the ones Porsche has tested and approved.

Regards
Old 07-30-2008, 12:25 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 14 Posts

Wheel Enhancement does sell take offs. They often have those. Prices are very nice as well.
Good luck
Old 07-30-2008, 01:29 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Have you tried getting the Bridgestones through your Porsche dealership.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:07 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

How about the Tire Rack ?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Thegman
Banned

I like Tire Rack as well. They will UPS you the tires. Have a local tire shop or the dealer (expensive) install them. They have a list of recommended installers in your area.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:41 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ben's gonna get crabby about no prior search here :-) oh boy

the word is that the bridgestones for the porsche in the US have been allocated to the dealers and many speak very highly of wheel enhancement also. from a popularity POV, they seem to win hands down.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:57 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Yes, I too had to change tires and went to the RE050A's, but I ran into the same issue, none over at Tire Rack.

However, after contacting my Porsche dealer, they say they can get them. They did and when I stopped by prior to dropping off the car, guess where they came from? TIRE RACK!

It seems PCNA is "holding" specific "N" rated tires so customers/owners can obtain them for their cars. Only problem is you have to go to the dealer.

I also hear that Conti's (forgot which ones) ran out of tires needed for Porsche, now, due to some agreement they had with Porsche those wanting those Conti's end up with PS/2's. Conti has to purchase the PS/2's difference since they could not provide Porsche with enough tires. This may be only limited to production, as I'm not sure if this goes for customer owned cars.

So, contact your dealer, you may be surprized as to the price and avalibility of the RE050A's, but do not wait! Otherwise it's off to purchase P-Zero's or PS/2's for a whole lot more.

Then you could go with non "N" spec tires, as long as the rear are "XL" rated. I've heard good things from the Yokohama tires.

So far, I like the Bridgestones!

Deanski
Old 07-31-2008, 01:14 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

My dealer will price match Tire Rack and I'd rtaher they fitted them (at a half hours labour charge) than some guy at the local discount store.

Give yours a ring, you might be surprised.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:21 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Tire Rack will not sell them to you the end consumer but they will sell them to your dealer who will only sell them to you if they mount them. Kind of a scam but if your dealer will match the Tire Rack price then who really cares.

Other than that the Michelin PS2 is an awesome tire and so is the Porsche spec Continental brand. Some like the P Zero Corsa and some don't. Also Toyo, Yokohama make tires with the load rating and are great tires.

Quick Reply: Purchasing New Tires