Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what RPM does Variocam kick in and what are symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:15 AM
wbgordon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At what RPM does Variocam kick in and what are symptoms?

Have been reading various reports of from 2200 RPM on the low side to 4000 RPM on the high side. When I went test driving with a factory rep a few weeks back to troubleshoot a clutch pedal vibration issue I thought he said 2200 RPM for Variocam. What is the prevailing symptom of this feature inside the cabin? Vibration? Sound? Nothing? I notice what appears to be a slight exhaust pitch change at 3200/4th gear along with a slight vibration, but maybe that's just simply the harmonic balance (or lack thereof) letting me know it's there.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:36 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by wbgordon
Have been reading various reports of from 2200 RPM on the low side to 4000 RPM on the high side. When I went test driving with a factory rep a few weeks back to troubleshoot a clutch pedal vibration issue I thought he said 2200 RPM for Variocam. What is the prevailing symptom of this feature inside the cabin? Vibration? Sound? Nothing? I notice what appears to be a slight exhaust pitch change at 3200/4th gear along with a slight vibration, but maybe that's just simply the harmonic balance (or lack thereof) letting me know it's there.
I don't think I've ever seen reference to just rpm thresholds - I believe engagment of Variocam Plus depends on many inputs including rpm, accelerator postion, engine oil and water temps and gear selection. It's supposed to be seamless.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:48 AM
wbgordon
Racer

I did some web surfing on the subject and you are entirely correct, JH. VarioCam has a continuous impact throughout the torque curve, but is it active the moment you press the gas pedal? The factory rep, when we rode together in my car, asked, "Ever wonder what that strange sensation is at 2200? That's the VarioCam." And then he went on to describe it. If you search this website, you will see many references to VarioCam, as well as various descriptions of the feel inside the cabin. I'm attempting to correlate those comments with what I feel inside the cabin of my 997S.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:39 PM
jayster
Instructor

The vario kicks in at various times, dependent upon throttle angle engine speed etc, no set on or off point.

Quick Reply: At what RPM does Variocam kick in and what are symptoms?