Sponsored by:

My car battery is DEAD..!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 11:02 PM
soc_fans
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car battery is DEAD..!

Well, i forgot to turn off my car headlights and left it overnight in my garage. Now my car battery is totally dead and i called Porsche for help.

They told me to bring my car to the dealership immediately after the Roadside Assistance has jump start the battery. My question is... is this necessary? I thought once you have jumped start the battery and if it works the battery should be fine?
The nearest Porsche dealer is about 15 miles away from my home and i don't know if i'll get a loaner for that..

Anyone here experienced this before? What did you do after you have jump start the Battery?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:40 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

A couple of questions. First of all it's impossible to leave your headlights on with a 911. Perhaps your parking lights, but never your headlights. They are wired in to only function when the key is in the ignition and its in the run position.

You can jump start the car from the fuse box. Get out your manual and follow along. (This is so that you may gain entry to the front trunk where the battery is located.)

Once you jump a car's battery you are usually okay, but one more question. How many miles have you accumulated on that 2005 car?

If you don't drive it that much then there is a good chance that the battery is not going to recover, even with a jump, and about 50 miles on the car of good alternator efforts to restore the battery.

Since you live in San Francisco, and you have your doubts about the viability of the battery after that jump, and you park it after only a short drive,--park it on a hill, heading down. Then simply do a rolling start and pop the clutch!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:24 AM
soc_fans
Instructor

You're right, i'm sorry it's the parking lights.

My car currently has 30,400 miles. My car key is currently stucked in the ignition of the car! I guess i'll wait till tomorrow morning for the Porsche roadside assistance to come and jump start the car.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:30 AM
jplanaux
Instructor

I left the key in my car. I didn't drive it for a week or two and the battery was completely dead. I learned about the fiasco with the trunk not being able to pop with a dead battery and the key being stuck in the ignition.

Anyway, I ended up getting the hood open. I put a charger on it and I haven't had any problems since. No idea how much damage I did to the battery. I hope that it gives some feedback (weakens) before it totally dies. It seems to be strong as is. I will swap it out when it dies.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by soc_fans
You're right, i'm sorry it's the parking lights.

My car currently has 30,400 miles. My car key is currently stucked in the ignition of the car! I guess i'll wait till tomorrow morning for the Porsche roadside assistance to come and jump start the car.
It sounds like your'e driving it enough to keep the battery viable. I would think that a good solid charge with a battery charger and you will be cleared to go! Just don't leave the key in the ignition again. That's the 997 killer!
Old 07-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

You can always trickle charge it through the cig lighter in the center. Only takes 20 min or so to get enough charge to pop the boot.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:28 AM
soc_fans
Instructor

Thanks for all the response guys. My car is fine now and running great!

Quick Reply: My car battery is DEAD..!