Sponsored by:

iPhone users and 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 03:45 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts
Default iPhone users and 997.2

It appears that iPhone users, do not need bluetooth in the 997.2. They just need the iPod connection on the 997 Gen 2 for hands off phone use. The iPod connection will display address books, etc.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:24 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
It appears that iPhone users, do not need bluetooth in the 997.2. They just need the iPod connection on the 997 Gen 2 for hands off phone use. The iPod connection will display address books, etc.
But, for hands free use, you would also have to have a microphone in the cabin. Does the iPod connection in the new 997 also have a microphone?

Have you tried it?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:40 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

They have an option for bluetooth and an other option for ipod.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:48 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by David A
They have an option for bluetooth and an other option for ipod.
Correct. But the original poster, if I'm reading this correctly, is saying that the iPhone (which has the connection of every other iPod) can be plugged in via the iPod option and one can access the phone book. The conclusion is thus that the bluetooth option is not necessary for iPhone owners.

However, I'm still curious how that can be, because it appears that iPhone users using only the iPod connection would not have a microphone in the car to be able to truly make/receive handsfree calls. (assuming for sake of discussion that they provide function to route caller's voices through the speakers.)

Just curious.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll add my curiosity as well. For the US market bluetooth need (since we cannot do duplicate SIMs), that gets us phone integration with the audio system. The iPod interface adds iPod integration with the audio system but doesn't give you an integrated microphone (as far as I'd expect) nor would it give you the ability to hands-free pick up the phone or hands-free dial the phone (unless some use of the voice system allows it). I'm hesitant to believe you can get a usable phone solution for an iPhone just out of the iPod interface.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:10 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Someone in the UK attending a 997.2 presentation used his iPhone connecting it to the iPod connection - this is what prompted me to start this thread. He did not set the bluetooth connection, i.e., his iPhone was not communicating via bluetooth, even if there was one in the car. The car must have had a mic - I do not know if it is standard or if it's part of some other option (perhaps bluetooth). This is something to research further.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:46 PM
JamesT7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has been expressed to me that once a phone mates with the cars system you are able to speak hands free. It has also been expressed to me that yes the car is equipt with a mic and you do hear the caller and your music is muted while using the phone. It is similar in MBs and BMWs from what I have been told.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:18 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JamesT7
It has been expressed to me that once a phone mates with the cars system you are able to speak hands free. It has also been expressed to me that yes the car is equipt with a mic and you do hear the caller and your music is muted while using the phone. It is similar in MBs and BMWs from what I have been told.
Sorry to keep on this, but I think we have some topic creep. James, what you describe is the Bluetooth option, not necessarily the iPod Integration option.

It makes sense to me that if you have the Bluetooth option, then the car will have the mic and the capability to use the PCM as the dialing and calling interface (callers voice through the stereo speakers).

However, I'm not sure it is safe to say that without the Bluetooth option, the car is still equipped with the mic and the necessary software to permit a handfree call through an iPhone simply because the iPhone is connected to the iPod interface.

As I understand it thus far (and I'm certainly open to correction):
iPod Interface Option - provides connection cable and software control to permit an iPod to be physically connected in the center console and then controlled via the headunit.

Bluetooth Option - provides a bluetooth receiver, a microphone in the steering column, and the necessary software control to permit operation of the bluetooth-enabled phone through the PCM.

All that being said, if the original poster is correct, then this could be a GREAT find for those iPhone owners (like me) who would only have to purchase the iPod integration option and not have to also purchase the Bluetooth option. My hesitation is more in that Porsche ain't likely to give away functionality that they could otherwise charge for and they are unlikely to install hardware (i.e. mic) in a car that isn't being set up for telephone connection.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:21 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

BTW, I'm not trying to **** in anyone's cornflakes, but just trying to confirm the details.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:38 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Keep trying.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:08 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Jeff,
I'm with you. This doesn't make sense to me either. Although I'm kind of simple minded so it doesn't surprise me =-) .
I have an iphone and would love to find something that works well......Have been looking for awhile. I too am not trying to upset anyone but just would like to make sure. Thanks as always for everyones help!
-= Rob =-
Old 07-25-2008, 12:36 PM
JamesT7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My apologizes you are correct InTheAir. Part of what I was describing is bluetooth. Where I am unsure is the mic part for you to have a conversation hands free. Obviously the nav system speaks to you and thus it seems possible may be not probable that an iPhone connected via ipod cable might be able to function without being set to bluetooth. It seems likely that one could hear the caller speaking but the other side is could the caller hear you. I do know you can use a mic with the iPhone which might allow you to use it hands free in the car. My dealer seems to think it is possible. I am just not completely convinced.

Like you said InTheAir I find it hard to see Porsche giving something that functional to us without paying for it some how. But the other side of this is is the iPhone so much better than other phones that it has greater functionality that Porsche did not realize and thus if you used the iPod connection kit it might be that you don't need bluetooth. I as I have said I am unsure. I will say now that the iPhone is available in 3G I am far more interested in it than before. Here is my question for all those who have an iPhone what functions do you see that are easier than other phones and how is it connected to other cars?

Cheers,
Old 07-25-2008, 03:40 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I agree that this should be checked. I'm pretty sure there's a mic in every car. The question is, is it part of the iPod interface functionality?

The report I saw came from someone who did not establish the bluetooth connection with his iPhone but simply connected it to the iPod interface. It could be that by chance it worked via bluetooth but I do not know. This is something to check by taking an iPhone to a new car and trying it.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:26 AM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

But its well known the iPhone is a pretty crappy phone, as far as call quality is concerned.

I wonder if the car, with a better speaker/mic setup, can compensate for that and make the iPhone a better phone.

Still, I'm ordering the car with both the iPod interface and the Bluetooth interface. Who will be the first person to not order bluetooth or phone prep and only the iPod interface, to test if their iPhone works? Not me, thats for sure.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:52 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Minok
But its well known the iPhone is a pretty crappy phone, as far as call quality is concerned.
I haven't heard any complaints about call quality on the new iPhone 3G--either from other users or people I'm calling.

Quick Reply: iPhone users and 997.2