Sponsored by:

MY09 Carrera Tidbits

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:47 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Stick antenna.. thats really needed for AM reception. Who still listens to AM radio other than those special (if light is flashing tune into AM xyz for traffic information) signs by the side of the road - or parking info at disney world... ;-)
use it all the time for traffic, news, etc..
Old 07-24-2008, 02:41 PM
MarcBC
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the latest Porsche Post magazine (Porshe club GB issued) the launch control on the new GT2 is an ECU led system which does not slip the clutch and so "in theory it can be used ad infinitum without wrecking the transmission". The author does go on to say, however:
"Porsche is at pains to warn you that repeated use does strain major components (presumably that means the warranty is void if you use it then....)"
unquote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rcg412
use it all the time for traffic, news, etc..
Fair enough.. I forgot about talk radio and folks relying on traffic by AM and news. XM NavTraffic on the Nav system will take care of my traffic updates need in Seattle.

It does indicate the stick is for 'improved AM reception'. Any feedback on how good AM reception is without a stick antenna?

To bad the US never got the signaling scheme used in, say Germany, to have your audio system switch to the traffic reports whenever they come on and then change back to the source you were listening to.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:54 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
No need for launch control - adolescent bragging rights.

No real need for 100k sports cars either.

I absolutely want launch control and I don't want anyone making any decisions for me as to how many times I can use it in my car.

BMW limited the amount of uses before voiding warranty in europe. In the US, they lowered the launch RPM but allowed as many launches as one desired. I think Porsche will not limit the amount of launches for the US market but restricting based on time or distance to protect components from abuse makes sense.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:45 AM
lgascoig
Racer

They should change the RPMs. 6600 is insane anyway, I'd never pre-load the clutch on my car and dump it from anywhere near that high on a pure manual.

I would be totally happy if they neutered it a bit for the US market, even by half, it doesn't matter. It's still going to be better than what you're going to be able to do just mashing the floor on a PDK.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:15 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Launch control does not light my candle. Not even close.

I saw a new GT2 "launch control" a start coming on to the track this year... it seemed awkward, and harmful to the car.

I guess if you have it, you gotta try it a few times before you forget that the car came equipped with it.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:19 PM
lgascoig
Racer

There is a video on the web somewhere of a C6 Z06 versus a GT2 where the guy does multiple runs with launch control on the GT2 versus the launch control-less Z06. Poor Z06, it got owned so hard it wasn't even funny.

The car guy attributed the huge difference due to the amount of grip he had on the GT2 which he mostly attributed to the launch control feature.

I'm definately using mine, that's why I paid for PDK and sport chrono plus. So it better not shut off after a few times.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:10 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

Originally Posted by lgascoig
There is a video on the web somewhere of a C6 Z06 versus a GT2 where the guy does multiple runs with launch control on the GT2 versus the launch control-less Z06. Poor Z06, it got owned so hard it wasn't even funny.

The car guy attributed the huge difference due to the amount of grip he had on the GT2 which he mostly attributed to the launch control feature.

I'm definately using mine, that's why I paid for PDK and sport chrono plus. So it better not shut off after a few times.
No, the GT2 or any 911 launches harder than a front-engined RWD car b/c it is rear engined. The rear weight bias gives the rear tires better grip for accleration. Absent cars with AWD, the 911 will get out of the hole better than pretty much anything else with similar HP.

GT2s also have the advantage of coming from the factory with R-comp tires, and its rear tire is even wider than the Vette's. Launch control must help drivers to get a strong consistent launch but you could out-launch a Z06 in a 996 GT2 as well.

Also, I don't recommend making conclusions about the efficacy of new technology based upon some video that some guy posted on the web of his car street racing some other guy's car. Way too many uncontrolled variables there for you to consider that a reliable data point, particularly for purposes of evaluating a particular feature on one of the cars in that video.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
No need for launch control - adolescent bragging rights.
I agree.
I would venture to guess however that many potential buyers need these "bragging rights" to become buyers.

Personally, I've never dropped my clutch in my 997 or torque braked in our Cayenne....I'd feel so guilty! Funny thing in the Porsche video on the PDK launch control is that you don't HEAR the engine when it's revved up to 6500. Perhaps they've changed something but my car is pretty effin loud at 6500 and if I did it at a stoplight I'd be a cop black hole.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Brian -
Out of curiosity, have you seen a pic of where that XM antenna is on a coupe? Does it project from the back of the roof over the rear window?
Old 07-27-2008, 01:35 PM
lgascoig
Racer

Originally Posted by Coochas
I agree.
I would venture to guess however that many potential buyers need these "bragging rights" to become buyers.
Was helpful for me, I mean the car is $100k.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:45 PM
lgascoig
Racer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb4xJRMrAwA

That is the video I was talking about.

Porsche claims 3.7s 0-60, without launch control he gets 4.0s, with launch control 3.75s.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:12 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb4xJRMrAwA

That is the video I was talking about.

Porsche claims 3.7s 0-60, without launch control he gets 4.0s, with launch control 3.75s.
Hmmm, you stand behind that video as reliable evidence of something? I'll grant you that it's entertaining, but that's about it. That GT2 sure was quicker than that Z06, but I don't see why you'd think that video is reliable evidence about the effectiveness of launch control. The driver/narrator said that he had trouble with traction control on his previous outing with it, and when he did use it this time, he said he also changed his shift points relative to his attempts without LC. We don't know how many launches he did with and without LC, and his drag racing credentials are suspect in light of his non-LC launch method of "well let's rev it up to about 4500 rpm and just drop the clutch" - you could hear lots of drivetrain distress. IMO 4500 is too many rpm to drop the clutch, even my regular 997 can't take that many rpms without a slow tire-spinning launch.

Other things you can learn from that video are: the Porsche is actually called a "977 GT2" (from the title), the Corvette "has the suspension of a light goods vehicle" (truck), and a good way to drag race cars is by the drivers shouting at each other in an alleged 60 mph cross wind (I seriously doubt it was that fast and that they also went 180 mph).

All that said, I suspect using the LC on the 977 will yield better launches. But who is drag racing their Porsche? When I have drag raced mine, I didn't see any others at the track. +1 to those who say this is a marketing gimmick, another hair shirt for poseur buyers.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:14 AM
lgascoig
Racer

On that day, with that driver he lost 0.25sec from his 0-60 time with launch control.

I agree that the 911 isn't exactly a drag racing car, but it should be able to get a decent showing.

As for "poseur buyers" if you buy it and use it, how is that being a "poseur"?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:14 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

As for "poseur buyers" if you buy it and use it, how is that being a "poseur"?
Agreed. But I think a supermajority of LC buyers will use their LC as often as SUV owners use their vehicles off road. Of the SUV owners who do use their 4WD, a lot of that use is practical, to get from A to B across poor roads ... but the 911 buyers who get LC will be using it just to test the feature or show it off to passengers. I am someone who regularly uses his 997 for timed competition involving clutch-dumping drag race starts, and I still regard LC as the 11 on Spinal Tap's amplifier. Of course, like the whole car itself, if people want LC, they buy it and it makes them happy, then it has its place on Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs.

Quick Reply: MY09 Carrera Tidbits