Just heard about the 18 year old girl who got killed in a 911

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC
Why are people of the mind the 911 is one of the safest cars in the world? Who says so? Because they are a low production car they are not crash tested. If someone on this board has this data I'd like to see it.
Of course they are crash tested. They are not a low production car. Even when production numbers were much lower they crash tested each model.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are people of the mind the 911 is one of the safest cars in the world? Who says so? Because they are a low production car they are not crash tested. If someone on this board has this data I'd like to see it.
http://www.crashtest.com/porsche/index.htm

There's not much out there- but all you need is to ask those whom have crashed or seen a lot of porsche crash-

Appropriately those whom live near or around the Autobaun.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:07 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Can't sell production cars in the US unless crash test data has been submitted to NTSB. That's why you can't get sunroof delete in the US because Porsche wouldn't crash test one.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:25 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
Maybe infiniti can invent a new technological feature that will hide their lack of ability to design a sexy car.....
If it comes down to "sexy" or "safe for my wife and 5-year-old", I'll take the latter every time. Anyway, the family FX looks infinitely "sexier" than the crossovers available from the Germans...especially the Cayenne...
Old 07-23-2008, 02:46 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by tooloud10
If it comes down to "sexy" or "safe for my wife and 5-year-old", I'll take the latter every time. Anyway, the family FX looks infinitely "sexier" than the crossovers available from the Germans...especially the Cayenne...
Over the years, Infiniti has come a long away since '90, always under the shadows by its Japanese counterpart leader Lexus. The models like the FX, G35 coupe, and a few others are certainly eye-catching design wise, even though the excitement quickly fades as with other Japanese design. But what is that low rice-burner sounds that are coming from every friggin tail pipes of every Infiniti. I think now Japanese cars are trying to create their own engine sound like 911's growl. Every time on the road these days, it seems like all I hear are the engine sound of Infiniti everywhere of which I am no fan. Just my personal opinion. I would take a Cayenne & X5 over any Japanese SUV any day.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
That's why you can't get sunroof delete in the US because Porsche wouldn't crash test one.
How do you explain the sunroof-less GT3RS? Don't say limited production exemption, because it outsold the regular GT3 this year (as of May it was also outselling the Targa 4).
Old 07-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by tooloud10
I actually really really like the Infiniti. It would be my choice given I had no German choice. The engines produce their power at really bizarre RPM ranges- which translates into nice sounds; but don't go anywhere very quickly.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:01 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
How do you explain the sunroof-less GT3RS? Don't say limited production exemption, because it outsold the regular GT3 this year (as of May it was also outselling the Targa 4).
How do you explain it - so maybe this whole story about crash test requirements is an urban myth.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:22 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 151 Posts

I think it's marketing...98% of US 997 buyers want a sunroof, so they build all of them with it so there isn't a risk of having over 2% of cars orphaned on lots without one.

Same with the sport suspension option we don't get here...can't be government bumper/headlight height (as some claim) if the GT models are sold here. 98% of buyers will think it's too uncomfortable, so it's not available.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, given that our government does not consider SUV's, pickups and vans to be passenger vehicles Ieven though I'd bet well over 80% of them are used as such) and thus allows them to be exempt form the bumper height and headlight height regulations, I have no faith in anything our government does as being 'the right thing'
Old 07-24-2008, 01:14 AM
Dallas911
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I can't believe this girl wrecked her dad's car again. Kid's these days...
Old 07-28-2008, 06:20 PM
AaronR968
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ Dallas 911--Again? U know she died in the first one right? Not much chance for her to do it again. RIP.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:00 PM
MartyB
Racer

Originally Posted by IaAaron
@ Dallas 911--Again? U know she died in the first one right? Not much chance for her to do it again. RIP.
I'm pretty sure Dallas911's post was tongue in cheek. The OP stated that he just heard about it, as if it was a recent event.

Quick Reply: Just heard about the 18 year old girl who got killed in a 911