Sponsored by:

997.2 first year production gremlins?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 01:32 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Chris !!
Red: Care to elaborate ?? (love the snow leopard reference)

Jack
Old 09-05-2009, 03:06 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) has been a problem area although not on the same scale as BMW, I hope. It's a fast fix if your dealer has the part.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:33 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

I have just noticed some computer gremlins (bugs) on my car
1) like the iPod that feezes up or is not noticed by the PCM.
2) every once in a while, the nav resets all its settings and goes back to metric

Other mechanical things-
1)On occasion, I get a pretty large cloud of smoke out the tailpipe on start-up with the DFI engine
2) I get some surging of the engine at part-throttle and it seems like the power can be a bit inconsistent from time to time

I think that is all that I have noticed in the first 3500 miles
Old 09-05-2009, 03:43 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by docjohnM
Other mechanical things-
1)On occasion, I get a pretty large cloud of smoke out the tailpipe on start-up with the DFI engine
That can happen with boxer engines. Let the engine settle down at iddle for a minute or so before you shut it down for the day.

2) I get some surging of the engine at part-throttle and it seems like the power can be a bit inconsistent from time to time

Do you drive short runs? try to run full temp cycle drives, i.e., get the engine oil to op temp. Also do run the engine through the rev range up to 6000+RPM often. See if that changes anything.

You may also want to get the latest software updates from your dealer.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:03 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6 months driving mine and not one problem.

The integration of my iPhone is stunning. The new cable (one side double ended) from Suncoast allows the phone to charge whenever it is plugged in. 500+ song library is accessed, and plays, perfectly.

Approx 1/2 qt oil used in 3400 miles (driven hard from mile 1)

PDK flawless, PCCB's offer fantastic pedal feel, engine is widely elastic.

Considering the depth of the 997.2 upgrade, amazingly troublefree new model introduction. Compare the "other" forums to the 997 forum. The problems noted here are far and few between.

It is the best overall value of any sports car in the world.

Fast, beautiful, and trouble free.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vexed
The High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) has been a problem area although not on the same scale as BMW, I hope. It's a fast fix if your dealer has the part.
I've asked 4 different dealers' service depts about this and all are in agreement that it's not an issue. I asked during a routine service, during a CEL, during a "shoot the breeze" session, and when I was there dropping my wife's Audi off. All of them looked at me like I was nuts, and two of them actually looked up open campaigns for DFI 997s. Nothing...

I do occasionally get the iPod freeze like docjohnM gets, but generally I can just either reboot the iPod or switch back to XM and back to the iPod to get it working. No mechanical or electrical problems otherwise.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:32 PM
vexed
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I've asked 4 different dealers' service depts about this and all are in agreement that it's not an issue. I asked during a routine service, during a CEL, during a "shoot the breeze" session, and when I was there dropping my wife's Audi off. All of them looked at me like I was nuts, and two of them actually looked up open campaigns for DFI 997s. Nothing...
All I can tell you is I had my HPFP fail as did others here. I suspect the failure rate is low enough so far that PCNA is just replacing them as failures occur. I was the first one at my dealer, hopefully the last. If you hang out on BMW forums the twin turbo engine on the 335/535/135 has experienced a rash of failures with some owners now on their third pump.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:44 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

2) every once in a while, the nav resets all its settings and goes back to metric
No iPod issues here ( I think it depends on iPod model), but I have had the PCM reset to metric once - right after we set up my Wife's key's personalization, so it could have been user error or some glitch - hasn't happened again.

But I do notice other odd things about PCM - especially the Bose Surround Settings: most times each source (SAT, Disk, iPod) maintains its own EQ settings, but sometimes setting one will reset another...and the Audio Pilot seems to do nothing. I'm not holding my breath for a fix.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Originally Posted by vexed
All I can tell you is I had my HPFP fail as did others here. I suspect the failure rate is low enough so far that PCNA is just replacing them as failures occur. I was the first one at my dealer, hopefully the last. If you hang out on BMW forums the twin turbo engine on the 335/535/135 has experienced a rash of failures with some owners now on their third pump.
I heard the same thing with the DFI engines on RS4s. My RS4 never had a problem, but I know a couple of guys that did (more to do with carbon buildup than a DFI pump failing). Like I said, I just hope it doesn't happen to me - good thing there's a warranty!
Old 09-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Originally Posted by stevepow
But I do notice other odd things about PCM - especially the Bose Surround Settings: most times each source (SAT, Disk, iPod) maintains its own EQ settings, but sometimes setting one will reset another...and the Audio Pilot seems to do nothing. I'm not holding my breath for a fix.
Audio Pilot definitely works. A good way to test is to put a song on at low volume while stationary with the windows up. Then speed up quickly to 50-60 and you'll hear the music try to "catch up". I think I'm going to turn my off - it's disconcerting to hear the volume changing a lot (esp. in slow-moving traffic). I'd rather just leave the volume at a set point.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:08 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Audio Pilot definitely works. A good way to test is to put a song on at low volume while stationary with the windows up. Then speed up quickly to 50-60 and you'll hear the music try to "catch up". I think I'm going to turn my off - it's disconcerting to hear the volume changing a lot (esp. in slow-moving traffic). I'd rather just leave the volume at a set point.
Is yours an '09? I have tried to listen for a change under every condition I can think of - I try to imagine it is doing something. I really don't think it does anything - if it does, so subtle I cannot hear it - and I engineered in a recording studio for the last 10 years - my ears are normally able to pick up on things far more subtle than a volume or EQ change.

I would love for it to do something disconcerting just to reassure me that it is working.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:47 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Other mechanical things-

Ditto on the iPod, the smoke and the part-throttle surging. That last one seems to be most obvious at around 2500-2600rpm. Nav reset also but we're metric anyway so I loose things like preferred Multi-function wheel settings.

Mine is a DD so gets mostly town miles. As suggested maybe it just needs more decent runs.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:49 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Is yours an '09? I have tried to listen for a change under every condition I can think of - I try to imagine it is doing something. I really don't think it does anything - if it does, so subtle I cannot hear it - and I engineered in a recording studio for the last 10 years - my ears are normally able to pick up on things far more subtle than a volume or EQ change.

I would love for it to do something disconcerting just to reassure me that it is working.
Steve - on mine it only makes a noticable difference at very low speeds when it's very obvious. Above 15-20mph not so much.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:09 PM
vexed
Racer

Originally Posted by aggie57
Steve - on mine it only makes a noticable difference at very low speeds when it's very obvious. Above 15-20mph not so much.
Same here, tooling around in traffic the volume really jumps.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The only big issue I had so far was a faulty roof gasket on the Targa roof that was replaced and its now water tight. About 5000 miles in since late Nov 08.

Beyond that, I've occasional locking up of the iPod. Not sure if its the iPod itself or the interface... but it freezes up the iPod such that a reboot of the iPod is needed.

There are occasional drop-outs of XM NavTraffic data, but thats hard to diagnose with the number of fingers in the pie. Is it the data source (Washington State DOT), the data agregator and distributor (Navteq), the broadcaster (XM) or the end device (the car's PCM). I'm sure they all point at each other. Calling XM is just an exercise in frustration as they don't have any technical logs to be able to say (yes, there was a dropout in your area that morning).

Quick Reply: 997.2 first year production gremlins?