Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zaino Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 09:11 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Zaino all in one followed by clear seal screw all of the other steps, unless a) you don;t have a life (like the dude in the last post), or b) u are entering the car into the grand concours.....
Old 07-20-2008, 07:39 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That IS the quickest way, Z-AIO then Z-CS and walk away, no buffing off Clear Seal. Wonderful product.

As with all Zaino, it has to bet applied THIN! Too much and you'll get streaks.

Maintain with Z6 or Z8 and that's it!

Sure, you can do the full Z5 or Z2 or both with 3 coats per day and Z6 between each coat. Just make sure you plan enough time.

Just make sure your finish is polished as best as it can be. Zaino is very clear and can highlight marring. Most sealants will since they are more opticly clear. Waxes dull the finish, add oils and can fill minor marring. That's what glaze is for, filling imperfections, then wax on top to hold in the filling.

Black is less forgiving, so I have to spend time polishing to get out all marring before I apply Zaino.

Deanski
Old 07-20-2008, 09:25 AM
rol607
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Deanski- Here is what I am ordering. Make sense?

Code Product Quantity Price/Ea. Total
Z-2 Z-2 PRO Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes 1 $14.95 $14.95
Z-MPACK Zaino Maintenance Pack (Qty:2 Z-6 & Qty:4 Z-7) 1 $45.95 $45.95
Z-8 Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal 1 $19.95 $19.95
ZFX ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive 1 $19.95 $19.95
Z-CS Z-CS Clear Seal 1 $29.95 $29.95
Total: $130.75
Old 07-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Z7 is the car wash soap, so I really do not think you'll ever need 4 of them.

I just order if you want the full Zaino application:

Z7 wash
Z5-Pro
Z2-Pro
ZFX
Z6
Z8

If you have light marring, Z-AIO

If you want to do the quick way:

Z7 Wash
Z-AIO Polish
Z-Clear Seal
Z6
Z8

Don't forget the tires with Z-16!

leather: Z9 and Z10

Deanski
Old 07-26-2008, 09:56 PM
rol607
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Deanski- Here is what I ordered. i will let you know my results next weekend.

Z-APP-OZ6 6" Tri-foam Oval Zaino Applicator 4 $4.95 $19.80
Z-7 Z-7 Show Car Wash 1 $8.95 $8.95
Z-6 Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray 1 $9.95 $9.95
Shipping: Flat rate: $8.95
Sales Tax: $0.00
Total: $132.45
Old 07-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rol607
Deanski- Here is what I ordered. i will let you know my results next weekend.

Z-APP-OZ6 6" Tri-foam Oval Zaino Applicator 4 $4.95 $19.80
Z-7 Z-7 Show Car Wash 1 $8.95 $8.95
Z-6 Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray 1 $9.95 $9.95
Shipping: Flat rate: $8.95
Sales Tax: $0.00
Total: $132.45
Better get a new pair of Maui Jim Sun Glasses so you can inspect your work after applications!!! You will become a Zaino fan after you see the results, good luck. BTW I have a life and also apply all the necessary steps to optimize the look of the car....
Old 07-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The right way to clean your exterior is the way that you will actually end up doing it on a regular basis. Ok, that sounds confusing. The right way for you is the way you actually implement in reality.

The best 10 step process is useless to you if you don't actually do the 10 steps when you wash the car. So if you will only do 2 steps and spend an hour or so, then look for a good solution that does it in 2 steps.

Clay bar can be amazing.. even more so if you go a while between uses. I clay bar'ed the back hatch of my VW Golf after having driven it for 8 years and the transformation was incredible.. given the amount of crap that was embedded in that back hatch paint.

Me personally, I'd not use dawn as it sucks all of the oils out of everything it touches, and use a good car wash solution, then some simple to apply polish or wax, and maybe claybar the thing every 2 years or so. But then thats me...
Old 07-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by Minok
Me personally, I'd not use dawn as it sucks all of the oils out of everything it touches, and use a good car wash solution, then some simple to apply polish or wax, and maybe claybar the thing every 2 years or so. But then thats me...
that's the point of dawn when you're zainoing... get rid of the other crap thats on there so u can polish the paint itself
Old 07-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Yes, the clay bar is amazing! I helped my son detail his 03 VW and the paint came out great after a clay bar and application of Z2a. I also used the clay bar on my 997 and it also made quite a bit of difference, very smooth and no rough edges in the paint.

The right way to clean your exterior is the way that you will actually end up doing it on a regular basis. Ok, that sounds confusing. The right way for you is the way you actually implement in reality.

The best 10 step process is useless to you if you don't actually do the 10 steps when you wash the car. So if you will only do 2 steps and spend an hour or so, then look for a good solution that does it in 2 steps.

Clay bar can be amazing.. even more so if you go a while between uses. I clay bar'ed the back hatch of my VW Golf after having driven it for 8 years and the transformation was incredible.. given the amount of crap that was embedded in that back hatch paint.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:43 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Me personally, I'd not use dawn as it sucks all of the oils out of everything it touches....
That is correct. Stay away from using harsh detergents like dawn on your car. Only the misinformed persist in using it. Here's what can happen if you continue to wash your car with it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...21&postcount=7

Also see "Soap" section here: https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...53&postcount=1

It's made to be a strong degreaser that can prematurely dry up seals and rubber molding if used on a regular basis. I would not recommend using it at all. There are better products out there for your car. Don't be cheap, buy the right products to preserve the beauty of your car. Dawn is not one of them. Use it on your greasy pots and pans, but not on your car's finish.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:51 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Sadiq
posts 2 and 3 = half ***

dawn
clay
z2
z6
z5
z6
z2
grand finale

zaino tire gloss and glass polish at the end.

make sure you use microfiber bonnets on your buffer and microfiber towels. Adam's polishes makes excellent towels.

I'd just rather spend more time driving, and less time polishing. To each his own.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by mglobe
I'd just rather spend more time driving, and less time polishing. To each his own.
same. i hate polishing, but i like having a polished car. ipso facto, i spend time polishing it, and i do it well.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

As for DAWN washing, unless you wash with it quite often, it will not effect anything. You're only washing with DAWN or other degreaser just to strip oils, waxes etc prior to Zaino or other sealant application.

Once the sealant is on, you then maintain with Z7 car wash soap, which works very well.

Any Zaino or other sealant application requires the best prep possible. Polishing the finish as glossy and marring free w/o use of a glaze (glaze hides marring by using clays and oils) and once fully polished, you need to be sure all oils used in the polish are removed. Two ways, DAWN or IPA wipe. Once fully clean, then apply the sealant.

Zaino requires it to be applied very very very thin. If you can see where you applied it well enough, it's too heavy. You have to get over the WAX mentality that more is good. Sealants work by very very thin application or you risk getting streaks. If this does happen, mix up some Z7 and distilled water in a spray bottle and use that to help in clearing the streaks.

Z-CS works very well. Some apply Z2 first then Z-CS, others the opposite. Whichever way, use the Z6 between each coat. Make sure the first coat is fully dry before removal if Z2 was used, otherwise wait a full day after Z-CS to cure if used first. Z-CS is apply and walk away, no buffing off.

Once they have time to cure, Z8 application just makes the whole finish POP!

I maintain with Z6 (cleaning/dusting) and use Z8 for those days I want more deeper effects.

Always use high quality micro-fiber towels or 100% USA cotton towels with no edges, washed to remove all sizing used in mfg of the towel and no fabric sheets in a dryer.

Don't forget the wheels to protect and make brake dust wash-off easier.

As for rubber seals, I use 1Z Gummifledge. Good to use some type of rubber treatment at least once a year on all rubber seals, trim etc.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 07-27-2008, 11:18 PM
MartyB
Racer

I've got to say that I don't understand how one "maintains" a detail. I enjoy driving my car a lot and I end up driving it 4/5 days a week, which is more than I thought I would drive it. It does not take long for it to get dirty. I can't imagine taking a bottle of anything and spraying it on a dirty car and rubbing it with a towel. I feel like I should be washing my car at least every couple of weeks if I want it to look nice, which isn't easy with the total outdoor water ban we have had for quite a while now. I bought some Z7 and some AIO, but by the time I vacum the car, wash the car and clean and shine the wheels and tires, I haven't even had time to try the AIO yet. I can't imagine me ever being able to tackle these 8 step processes you guys talk about. Without implying that anyone who has posted does not have a life, my life does not permit this type of detailing. Besides, I really would rather be driving it, even if it is a little dirty. When you guys talk about "maintaining" the car, are you just talking about light dust?
Old 07-28-2008, 02:59 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

I complete the detail twice a year and wash the car once a week and it looks great

Quick Reply: Zaino Newbie