Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some things could shave some weight:

* minus the sunroof
* pccb standard on turbo
* magnesium wheels
* minus audio amp in front, buy aftermarket if you need
* option for 2wd like the gt2
* option for fixed rear wing
* lightweight flywheel like Carrera GT (not as trivial as the rest though)

I think all this would shave about 150 pounds or so, but the unsprung weight is the most important so mag wheels and pccb would be my top two picks.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:12 AM
lig
Racer

Originally Posted by Deanski
There IS: http://www.farnbacherloles.com/perfo.../info/?id=2972

FBL GTR which has a 3.8 X51 engine with ECU work. Full Cross coilovers.

Deanski
I read the C&D test of that car. Something was weird - with 395hp it didn't seem to go very fast at all.

IIRC it was also GT3 money as well.

Pass.

http://www.caranddriver.com/buying_g...specialty_file
Old 07-01-2008, 02:28 AM
Dirty Evo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lig
Agreed. I would have probably bought a Cayman if there was a 3.8 variant.

My ideal 911 would be a mid-engined, no back seat GT3/RS

I had a long discussion on this topic with my dealer when buying my cayman s.

I don't understand why its not possible to keep the 911 and appease the purists by making it a top notch GT (which it is)... making it the best GT in the world, while also having a smaller mid engined "sports car" that is more raw and competition / track based (like a Cayman RS might be?)... I guess I don't why you you need to neuter the Cayman to keep the 911 on top of the mountain??... even if you gave the Cayman 400hp and made it the ultimate track / sports car, you would still have the 911 as the ultimate GT and lets face it, MOST folks who are buying a 911 are buying it for that.

whats the problem?

Kind of like the 928 was... wasn't the 928 more expensive, more HP, faster and more technilogically advanced than a 911? it was the ultimate GT car of its day. yet, the 911 was still loved and still popular.

well in the 21st century, the 911 has become what the 928 was (or that is what it can become) and the Cayman variantz can take the place of the "old school" sports car the 911 used to be. They are marketed to different people, one is not better than the other, just different.

Everybody is happy,.. instead of buliding one great car, they would be building and selling 2 of the best cars in the world....

I don't get why they won't do this? why hold he mid-engined platform back by under-building it?
Old 07-01-2008, 03:24 PM
opus
Instructor

Originally Posted by kauai_diver
Some things could shave some weight:

* minus the sunroof
* pccb standard on turbo
* magnesium wheels
* minus audio amp in front, buy aftermarket if you need
* option for 2wd like the gt2
* option for fixed rear wing
* lightweight flywheel like Carrera GT (not as trivial as the rest though)

I think all this would shave about 150 pounds or so, but the unsprung weight is the most important so mag wheels and pccb would be my top two picks.
We can add the following:
*Use of carbon fiber materials especially on the roof
*Titanium exhaust
*Use more forge alloy or steel materials
*everything needs to be examine...for example, Mazda worked on reducing the rear view mirror on the Miata even thought the weight saving was measured only in grams, not pounds or kilograms
Old 07-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Bob (CT)
Intermediate

Just read that the 2009 Cadillac CVT-S ran 7:59..... not your father's Cadillac, eh.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

My humble opinion is that I do not require any more power than what my base C2 has, as I can't legally use it on normal roads. What would I do with more power? My 0-60 time might lower, but at sub 5 seconds I am already quite happy. If I were in Germany I may have a different opinion. There are many aspects to a Porsche other than pure power. I, for one, can gain a better sense of those aspects when travelling at slower speeds. It's hard for me to concentrate on the feel of the car, or the humm of the engine at 150+, compared to legal speeds (~75). Others may differ.

Quick Reply: Wow ZR1 runs a 7:26 at the Ring!