Sponsored by:

09 997 PCM

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

PHONE
The phone prep options are still available US or Euro - thats what that slot is for - the SIM card to make the phone go. But you need service with a company that uses SIM cards - so in the US, that limits your choices to I think AT&T and T-Mobile as the only GSM phone networks. This allows you to have a physical handset in the car as well (though thats now wireless these days)

You can also have phone prep that uses the SIM but the SIM stays in your phone (for US carriers that will not give you a duplicate SIM card for use in the car). There is a bluetooth interface (SAP) that uses the bluetooth system to have the in car phone talk to your phone via bluetooth to use its SIM card and address book. but still uses the car as the phone/antenna/amp.

The 3rd option, the one I use, is bluetooth HFP, which just uses the car as the mike and speakers and pickup/hangup button, and uses the phone in my pocket as the phone - my phone remains the antenna/amp. This means I can use my verizon phone (not a GSM phone with SIM) with the car.

It certainly would be nicer if that slot was hidden. That spot is betting for a 3rd party add-on to replace it on bluetooth equipped cars that thus don't need that slot.

NAV
The navigation system works well now... it starts narrowing down.. so you go in opposite direction of what you would use when entering an address. You specify destinations by zipcode first (or state I think) - which then presents a limited keyboard you use to begin keying in city names, until the possible set of cities is small enough to display the whole list on the screen at once, in which case you get a list to pick from. Then you start typing street names, and again, once the remaining possible list is short enough, you get a list to pick one from. Then you enter the 'house number' - again from a selection of possible numbers. That can be a problem if the house number isn't in the database .. so you then need to pick one close to (same block) at least. I've only encountered issues here in industrial areas so far.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:55 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the report, Minok. Good post.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:04 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Just for clarification, swapping the PCM will not get you XM - XM is a separate option.

The new PCM is a major improvement over the 05 launch car version I previously had - NAV and other functions.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dog_tired
Anyone know if we'll be able to swap out an existing PCM for the 09 version?
No.

Originally Posted by dog_tired
The one thing I really miss having in my p-car is xm integration.
You can have SAT radio with PCM 2.x.
There was a very widely read thread in this forum a while back on installing sat radio in a 997

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...atellite+radio

using OEM sat radio components from the Cayenne (the Carrera/Boxster infotainment devices are 95% common with those in the Cayenne..the difference is just S/W).

Of course at the time, Porsche was not offering sat radio in the Carreras/Boxsters, so someone (no names), just sort of "helped things move a long a bit".

Quick Reply: 09 997 PCM