Sponsored by:

X51 Package

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 12:16 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
And, Oh my my! What a ride? I've paid $17K for a whole lot less!

Do you own an X51?

Have you ever owned an X51?

Or, are you just another armchair economist?

If you know anything about Engineering Salaries in the real world you don't get much for $17k, so considering what the X51 delivers I consider it a real bargain; maybe that's because I pay a lot of Engineers a lot of money!

If you are into marginalization and cost minimization (or stretching), then it is not worth it.... but then neither would a Porsche, any Porsche.

If you are into Engineering excellence and pushing the envelope (never mind the added driving experience), then it is real value.

Heck, even my wife could tell the difference. After doing the Porsche Driving Experience (Masters), and then wanting her own 911; she chose the X51 package (twice) over a 997S.

You can make the cost argument over anything: A steak, bottle of wine, beer; even the paint you put on the walls of your house. Rationalization doesn't make you (or me) right. It comes down to choice, educated opinion, and driving experience, ability and use.

If I were looking for advice here on the X51, the only opinions I'd trust would be from those who had bought it. For what it's worth, I bought it twice and I am a "value" hunter.
+1
I have the X-51 and have no regrets about the 17K option. or the fact that the S now has 385hp. What is the price of getting to drive it everyday for the last 21/2 years? I am sure a lot of folks on this board spend that on one week of vacation.

Why do people pay $200 for a bottle of wine?

Why do people pay $2000 for a suit?

Why do people pay $10,000 for a vacuum tube amplifier

Answer: They perceive a difference makes it worth the extra $$$. If you don't, Porsche was nice enough to allow you to make a choice. (and you can listen to your boom-box in your shorts shorts/t-shirt while sipping 2-buck Chuck).
Old 06-24-2008, 12:31 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you own an X51?

If you know anything about Engineering Salaries in the real world you don't get much for $17k, so considering what the X51 delivers I consider it a real bargain; maybe that's because I pay a lot of Engineers a lot of money!

If you are into marginalization and cost minimization (or stretching), then it is not worth it.... but then neither would a Porsche, any Porsche.

If you are into Engineering excellence and pushing the envelope (never mind the added driving experience), then it is real value.

Heck, even my wife could tell the difference. After doing the Porsche Driving Experience (Masters), and then wanting her own 911; she chose the X51 package (twice) over a 997S.

You can make the cost argument over anything: A steak, bottle of wine, beer; even the paint you put on the walls of your house. Rationalization doesn't make you (or me) right. It comes down to choice, educated opinion, and driving experience, ability and use.

If I were looking for advice here on the X51, the only opinions I'd trust would be from those who had bought it. For what it's worth, I bought it twice and I am a "value" hunter.
What other options did you explore before deciding X51 was the right choice? Did you sample any of the Supercharge kits. Just wondering how the two compare. From the outside looking in the SC seems like the smart choice.

The other option-which I have driven-is a TT. If it wouldn't upset the family life so much I'd be all over that like stink on poop. I'll have to wait until my kids are old enough to appreciate it so we can tag team mom. The TT seems like a true bargain relative to the X51.

It is very safe to say I don't own and will never own the X51 package unless it can be had for $5K or less.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:24 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no doubt about it x-51 is a great option... all I was saying is that you'll be able to buy a used X-51 car for cheaper cause the new S has 385 HP....

I'm familiar with the torque curve of the X-51 997 and it looks great... I"d like to see porsche literature show the torque curve for the new 997 385hp motor... I'm willing to bet it won't have the bottom end torque surge that is currently on the X-51 and I'll be surprised if it matches it on the top end.... but one thing I know for sure is it will be a fatter torque curve... lets see how it pans out... X51... great option though... good analogies to a wanting a $200 bottle of wine and having it TODAY!... agreed.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:50 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MLindgren
What other options did you explore before deciding X51 was the right choice? Did you sample any of the Supercharge kits. Just wondering how the two compare. From the outside looking in the SC seems like the smart choice.

The other option-which I have driven-is a TT. If it wouldn't upset the family life so much I'd be all over that like stink on poop. I'll have to wait until my kids are old enough to appreciate it so we can tag team mom. The TT seems like a true bargain relative to the X51.

It is very safe to say I don't own and will never own the X51 package unless it can be had for $5K or less.
I have owned many 911s; including the 964, RS America, 996, 996 X51, 996 TT (biggest disappointment) 996 GT2, 996 GT3 (2), 997 X51, 997 GT3, 997GT RS, and the CGT. Oh! And a few 928s and Cayennes

The last car I would buy is the TT.

The #1 car is the 997 RS and the # 2 is the 997 GT3 (but the RS the $17K difference (despite the pundits).

For an all-around car (daily driver, mine is currently a Black Series) you can't beat the X51 package.

Supercharging is for those with money to burn (and unbridled faith), it voids warranty; and I have more confidence in Porsche's engineering (and rigorous testing) than some aftermarket (unknown) company. Too many horror stories to convince me, but I then run a "state of the art" Engineering company, but what do I know?

At the end of the day, you seem to like X51, but you just don't want to pay for it. Read my earlier comments about marginalization and cost minimization again.

Just because you can't (or chose not to) afford it, doesn't mean it is not worth it. In my experience, it is worth every penny.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:00 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you own an X51?

No, I don't have X51. I don't need to experience throwing 17k down the drain to know I would not like it. If you like it, good for you, but the fact is the facelift made X51 outdated and overpriced instantly. That is called reality.

Right, only people with x51 should discuss it. Like someone wants to admit they paid 17k for a marginal upgrade that is easily surpassed in the aftermarket for less money. 17k for a whole lot less? I don't think your opinion should be valued too highly after that piece of information.

I suppose I can only get accurate information on the moon from people who have been there.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:51 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

At the end of the day, you seem to like X51, but you just don't want to pay for it.
Never said I didn't like it and never said I wouldn't pay for it-just wouldn't pay more than $5K.

Spend more time running your "state of the art" engineering company employing hundreds of high paid engineers and someday you'll be able to afford that 997 RS. FYI I do think the $17K is easily justified in the GT3 cars but when I look at the two side by side I can tell I've got something different-not just a piece of buttered corn on the cob ready to take a run at me.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:02 AM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I ordered the X51 on my 06cab, I did not flinch at the 17K. Fortunate enough that I wanted the best available, knowing down the road there would be better. I was not worried about resale or depreciation. I have had 2 plus years of sheer enjoyment from the car. Have driven straight 997S and there is marked difference from X51. Remember TT cab wasn't even available in 06.
I have a deposit on TT cab09 but have pushed it back awaiting FL and DI , and possible PDK, though I will be very interested to see specs on 09X51 powerkit when available. Do I regret the X51 order..Absolutely not
Old 06-24-2008, 01:10 PM
JMaples
Advanced

Is the actual price paid for the X-51 package $17k? It has always been my understanding (mainly from discussions on this forum) that you can negotiate around a 15% discount on options. This would place the price of the X-51 at $14.5k. Also, since the PSE is included with the X-51 package, that brings the true price of the performance upgrade to around $12k (presuming the buyer would have purchased the PSE system anyway).

Thoughts?
Old 06-24-2008, 01:27 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

X51 is worth what people will pay for it. I also believe that you can not fully appreciate the X51 package and get your money worth unless you are going to the track every month. For me...yes I would like X51 and could put it to good use but I can not afford it nor do I keep my cars long enough.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:49 PM
TylerCoupe
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Am I missing something

Why do people keep saying the new 997 somehow devalues the X-51. I have a '07 C4S with X-51 and I consider the 17K a bargain for the following reasons...I have been enjoying driving it for 2+ years and it is still more less equal to the new 997S spec. I agree that I would not buy it now on a '08...since the '09 is so close...but how much will pre-FL 997S drivers spend to get out of there old car and into a 2009...if you include the price increase and the depreciation hit...a lot more than 17k. I have a awesome car at similiar spec with no need to change for awhile....and I love the way the X-51 drives

Last edited by TylerCoupe; 06-24-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

There is no substitute for cubic inches. Aftermarket stuff? Hah. Some of it actually works. Some of it doesn't make a mess of the car. How can you compare it to factory engineered WARANTED and tested?
Old 06-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TylerCoupe
Why do people keep saying the new 997 somehow devalues the X-51. I have a '07 C4S with X-51 and I consider the 17K a bargain for the following reasons...I have been enjoying driving it for 2+ years and it is still more less equal to the new 997S spec. I agree that I would not buy it now on a '08...since the '09 is so close...but how much will pre-FL 997S drivers spend to get out of there old car and into a 2009...if you include the price increase and the depreciation hit...a lot more than 17k. I have a awesome car at similiar spec with no need to change for awhile....and I love the way the X-51 drives
More or less equal to the facelift cars is not correct. Facelift has more torque under the curve. X51 does not provide direct injection. X51 does not have a limited slip differential. X51 does not have PDK. X51 does not provide sports suspension.

How can X51 retain any value? Now, the value is really to the individual and it is difficult to put a price on the enjoyment people have had with it over the years. It is not difficult to put a price on the value of the option when the car is traded or sold and X51 brings a 5k premium at best.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by c70Pete
no doubt about it x-51 is a great option... all I was saying is that you'll be able to buy a used X-51 car for cheaper cause the new S has 385 HP....

I'm familiar with the torque curve of the X-51 997 and it looks great... I"d like to see porsche literature show the torque curve for the new 997 385hp motor... I'm willing to bet it won't have the bottom end torque surge that is currently on the X-51 and I'll be surprised if it matches it on the top end.... but one thing I know for sure is it will be a fatter torque curve... lets see how it pans out... X51... great option though... good analogies to a wanting a $200 bottle of wine and having it TODAY!... agreed.
You are serious? You wonder if the new car will match X51 down low and doubt it will up top? Porsche released their performance specs for the facelift. 0-100 mph in 9.6 seconds. X51 won't be able to see the facelifts license plate. It also has more torque down low, and more power up top, and everywhere else under the curve. You need to take a look at the specs again.

Oh, and the 200 dollar wine today analogy is a terrible one as it would depend on the vintage, the varietal, storage conditions, etc.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MLindgren
Never said I didn't like it and never said I wouldn't pay for it-just wouldn't pay more than $5K.

Spend more time running your "state of the art" engineering company employing hundreds of high paid engineers and someday you'll be able to afford that 997 RS. FYI I do think the $17K is easily justified in the GT3 cars but when I look at the two side by side I can tell I've got something different-not just a piece of buttered corn on the cob ready to take a run at me.
+1 this is right on.

Don't even need to try to justify a GT3's price increase. GT1 based racing block, LSD, lower weight, actual dry sump, suspension, etc.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:54 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tel2931
Looking for any opinions on 997 with X51 package. Worth it? Extra maintainence?
I'm looking at one out of town and couls use some advice. Thanks
No extra manitenance. Very bad decision if looking to buy one new as X51 is a $17K option and the 09' regular S has both more power and torque. I suspect Porsche will be offering dealer rebates to clear out the cars like they did with the 04' Jahre. Used, I have seen X51 S models in the $70k's, which is a good deal.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 06-26-2008 at 04:11 AM.

Quick Reply: X51 Package