Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch pedal "buzz"

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008 | 11:35 AM
wbgordon
Racer

Default Clutch pedal "buzz"

My '07 Carrera S has 10,600 miles. A few weeks ago, I noticed what is best described as a "buzz" (read: fine vibration) in the clutch pedal at higher revs (4,000-plus) whenever it was pressed nearly to the floor or when first letting off the pedal. I took the car to the dealer, which diagnosed the problem as a worn throwout bearing. The bearing was replaced under warranty (the clutch plate, pressure plate and flywheel were all said to be fine), and the buzz went away -- almost. There is still a hint of a buzz when pushing down and letting off the clutch pedal.

Anybody else notice this? Is it normal?

Last edited by wbgordon; 06-22-2008 at 03:48 PM. Reason: grammar, misspelling
Old 06-22-2008 | 02:50 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wbgordon
My '07 Carrera S has 10,600 miles. A few weeks ago, I noticed what is best described as a "buzz" (read: vibration) in the pedal whenever it was depressed nearly all the way to the floor as well as when first letting off the pedal. I took the car to the dealer, which diagnosed the problem as a warn throwout bearing. The bearing was replaced under warranty (the clutch plate, pressure plate and flywheel were all said to be fine), and the buzz went away -- almost. There is still a hint of a buzz when pushing down and letting off the clutch pedal.

Is this normal?
Not normal: mine doesn't do it.
Old 06-22-2008 | 03:31 PM
richc
Pro

Both my 997's have done this. I haven't mentioned it to the service folks yet.
Old 06-24-2008 | 09:40 PM
wbgordon
Racer

Wink

Interesting observation: I posted the technical question for this thread and got a whopping total of 67 hits over three days. Another guy floats a question about getting nosebleeds after driving his 996 and elicits over 500 hits.

What does this tell us?

I failed to mention that one theory for the vibration in my clutch pedal is that I bought the car from Paris Hilton.

Last edited by wbgordon; 06-29-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-26-2008 | 09:42 AM
wbgordon
Racer

This was originally Posted by SirPzalot Oct. 23, 2007
Mine has been replaced due to chatter, they replaced everything but the release bearing. Now I may be having another problem..... between shifts I can feel on the bottom of my clutch foot a vibration. I am not sure if this is normal or something is wrong. Does anyone else notice this vibration while depressing the clutch ?
Quite a few cars have this issue and many just accept it as normal since so many have said they have it (my current 997S has it too allbeit minor). May I assume your car did not have this buzzing prior to the recent clutch work? I mentioned this when starting the thread...see below:

The clutch in my 997S is being replaced due to chatter; the car has had this problem since new.

My question is there be anything I should be aware of for this procedure ie; flywheel replacement, proper torquing specs for the clutch plate bolts to stop the slight buzz in the pedal at higher rpms (the factory let out cars out w/o these being properly trq'd), any areas prone to leaks after the replacement etc...etc?

Thanks

Last edited by wbgordon; 06-29-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-28-2008 | 11:01 AM
wbgordon
Racer

One final note. I did a second, more thorough search of this website using the words "clutch pedal vibration" and pulled up post after post after post from perplexed low-mileage 997 and 996 owners (NA and turbo) who experienced a similar buzz in the clutch pedal at around 4000 RPM -- and who communicated their concerns to the dealer. My conclusion is that there is an inherent design flaw in the 911 clutch assembly that needs to be addressed by Porsche. IMHO there's no way a person paying upwards of 100k for an automobile ought to be experiencing something like this. How do you feel?

Thanks to all.

Last edited by wbgordon; 06-28-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-29-2008 | 08:45 AM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Interesting observation: I posted the technical question for this thread and got a whopping total of 67 hits over three days. Another guys floats a question about getting nosebleeds after driving his 996 and elicits over 500 hits.

What does this tell us?

I failed to mention that one theory for the vibration in my clutch pedal is that I bought the car from Paris Hilton.
Oh, this is a great read, Gordon! Made my Sunday.
Old 07-01-2008 | 08:51 PM
wbgordon
Racer

If you own a 997 or 997S, here's your opportunity to get on board to let Porsche know there are problems potentially with the engineering of the clutch. Vibrations ought not be happening in the clutch pedal. This does not affect everyone, but there are clearly enough of you affected to justify action. Respond to this post and we will hopefully gather enough of your "signatures" on petition to mobilize action by the factory. I will be meeting with a factory rep on July 9.
Old 07-01-2008 | 10:07 PM
cr2000
Advanced

My '07 Carrera S has 10,600 miles. A few weeks ago, I noticed what is best described as a "buzz" (read: fine vibration) in the clutch pedal at higher revs (4,000-plus) whenever it was pressed nearly to the floor or when first letting off the pedal. I took the car to the dealer, which diagnosed the problem as a worn throwout bearing. The bearing was replaced under warranty (the clutch plate, pressure plate and flywheel were all said to be fine), and the buzz went away -- almost. There is still a hint of a buzz when pushing down and letting off the clutch pedal.

Anybody else notice this? Is it normal?
I posted about this problem back in 06, at the time the vibration seemed pronounced, but driving another new 06 911S back to back with a tech at Inskip Porsche (RI), I noticed the same sensation. I figured I'd give the car sometime to break in. 5k miles on the car now, no problems, and the 'sensation' is gone.
Old 07-10-2008 | 08:30 AM
wbgordon
Racer

FYI: Drove my 997S today with a Porsche factory rep, who says the clutch buzz/vibration in my pedal at the higher revs is normal and caused by the pressure plate vibrating for that split second between shifts. He claims the factory does it that way to reconcile the dual desires of 911 drivers who wish for performance with everyday driving. Stated in a different way, he said, the factory engineered the clutch loose enough to avoid premature wear but unfortunately enough to allow for the annoying buzz. He said he had driven a ton of 997's with the same issue.

MIND YOU, THE FACTORY REP SAID THIS, NOT ME. I'm acting as messenger. I'm interested in your opinion.

Last edited by wbgordon; 07-10-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2008 | 11:18 AM
richc
Pro

FYI: Drove my 997S today with a Porsche factory rep, who says the clutch buzz/vibration in my pedal at the higher revs is normal and caused by the pressure plate vibrating for that split second between shifts. MIND YOU, THE FACTORY REP SAID THIS, NOT ME. I'm acting as messenger. I'm interested in your opinion.
That describes my vibration in both my cars perfectly. I only feel it when shifting at higher revs.
Old 07-10-2008 | 12:38 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Mine has a very slight vibration as you describe.
Old 07-10-2008 | 01:24 PM
wbgordon
Racer

A $95,000 car with an annoying vibration in the clutch pedal, and the factory apparently believes that's normal. I can only presume the people who say this drive to and from work in a Vee Dub.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal "buzz"