Sponsored by:

Vinyl bra

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 12:56 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default Vinyl bra

Has any out there found and used a regular vinyl bra for the 997?

I was considering using one for long drives as the bug splatter over the front can be real bad in the summer. I noted some of the splatter stains the paint and clear bra and hard to get off. Also there is more potential for road hazzards on the longer drives. I think vinyl offers more proctection when you need it and is removeable. Also, if the clear bra gets damaged it will look bad and need to be redone anyway (hopefully not as much as a respray).

Any thoughts?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:42 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Colgan makes the best quality and best fitting bras I've seen. Check their website (colgancustom). They'll also do custom bras. Their website may not show a 997 bra, but I believe they have one. You may have to call and ask. Their plant is only a couple of miles from where I live.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:36 PM
sharmat
Pro

Thanks kenin.
Yes i did look on the website but didnt see it. I'll give them a call.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:44 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pervert........

I'm sure that vinyl-fetishists have their own forum somewhere else.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:52 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a Colgan bra when I ordered my 2006 C4S Cabriolet. While it is easy to install, the fit is not a good as the one I have on my 1991 928GT. It tends to move at highway speeds, and was not available without a front license plate opening. Further, it does not have a flap to close that opening, which allows air to cause the bra to move, especially at highway speeds. (note that North Carolina does not require a front license plate). It also tends to collect road dirt due to the lifting, and traps it between the bra and the paint.
I just installed a SpeedLingerie bra today. The fit is much better, but it is much more difficult to install than the Colgan (though that may inprove with time). It may be ordered with or without a front plate opening, in your car's color, and has clear plastic coverings for the directional/fog light assembly, and side markers. It also has a mesh over the three front openings (radiators and center), which the Colgan lacks. The SpeedLingerie bra is claimed to be stable up to 150 mph. The down side is that it is also significantly more expensive than the Colgan (about $570.00).
Someone is sure to ask why not go with a clear bra. The reason for my choice was concern for the aging of the paint beneath the clear bra vs adjacent to it. I tend to keep my cars a long time (I still have the 1991 928GT that I bought new), and the waranty on the clear bra covers your initial cost, not a repaint and blending, should it be needed.
By the way, I also have the Colgan mirror covers, and they work great. Hope this helps.

Jerry
Old 06-12-2008, 10:00 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I found Colgan willing to do what you want. I am quite sure they will, if not already, provide a bra without the license cutout.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:06 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

Colgan does make them without the license plate cut out for other models (including my 928). Two and a half years ago, when I ordered mine, I was told it was not an option. From your experience, keninirvine, that may have changed.

Jerry
Old 06-13-2008, 12:24 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I use the Colgan. Works quite well, fitting easily without damaging things.

See:
Attached Images   
Old 06-13-2008, 01:23 AM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

I understand the purpose but really don't like the look...I think I would suffer with the bugs.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:40 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I had the same basic opinion initially but just got over it. Looks aren't everything. It saves a lot of time when you know you're heading into bug and gravel country.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Thegman
Banned

Check out SpeedLingerie. Their bras and mirror bras are really nice and they are color matched to your car. The blue car with the black bra is kind of cheesy in my opinion. SpeedLingerie isn't inexpensive but I've had 3 sets from them for my last 3 Porsche's and they are great.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:45 AM
sharmat
Pro

Right about the looks but it's not terrible. But it doesnt matter 'cause i would clean it off and remove it once the trip was over. I wouldn't use it for everyday use anyway.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:53 AM
sharmat
Pro

Dan, did you get the one without the cut out for the license plate? And put the plate over the bra?
Old 06-13-2008, 10:15 AM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

Dan,
I suspect the reason you don't have the problem with the bra shifting at speed is that you have the license plate to fill the cutout gap. Without the plate, that empty hole allows air to lift the bra and causes it to shift around at speed. Just my experience. The other thing I like about the SpeedLingerie is the mesh over the front openings that prevents bubs, dirt leaves, etc., from getting into the readiators. I have used Colgan bras for 20 years, and the 997 one is the only one I have ever had a complaint with.

Jerry
Old 06-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Kevin K
Instructor

Sharmat,

Do you have a clear bra on the car already? I was a little unsure after reading your post.

I have the clear bra and while it gets the same bug splatter as the paint would, it does come off quite nicely. I carry a small spray bottle and usually simply wipe the nose of the car down when I get to where I'm going after a long trip. Fresh splatter wipes away easily, it's the dried on stuff that is more of a hassle. Plus, the car looks better cleaner.

I have a cab, so after some experience, I created my own little travel pack for cleaning on the go. Bird droppings on the cloth roof are much easier to remove when fresh and also don't damage the cloth as if they sat for a while. My little kit has the spray bottle, some raggtop cleaner for the roof, vinylex and leather cleaner and fits in the storage area next to the six disk changer.

As for gravel, I haven't really noticed any "damage" to the clear bra after 2 and 1/2 years. Car is Arctic Silver.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Vinyl bra