Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the Nissan GTR-35 push Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 05:19 PM
ruymoreira
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GTR is an awesome piece of engineering, no doubt about it. And at the MSRP seems like a bargain.
But from all I've seen and read, seems a great icon for the PS3 generation! It's a really really fast car, but with all the technology "driving" it, the driver starts guessing who the hell is really driving the car!!!

As for pushing Porsche, guess it will; and every other performance car manufacturer!
Old 06-12-2008, 05:37 PM
opus
Instructor

So, questions, do you think GT-R will push Porsche to increase hp/torque or will it keep a lid on the price increases or little bit of both?

I just read at edmunds at the Cadillac CTS-V will have 556 hp and 551 ft lb of torque. Estimated base price will be around $60k. The power is just mind blowing.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:03 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default hmmmm

I have heard some being concerned about loss of the fun factor and the car doing to much of the driving for you..... but but at such blistering 0-60 speeds (mid to some say low 3's) and amazing G force ability, stopping power and such I think one will have their hands full and a grin ear to hear to boot not missing so much having to shift....and the loss of the "driving experience" . That said the real racers that can truly harness such performance I see possibly feeling that loss bur for the common man I believe the performance level that this car offers one will have all he or she can handle.......in a good way.

Originally Posted by ruymoreira
The GTR is an awesome piece of engineering, no doubt about it. And at the MSRP seems like a bargain.
But from all I've seen and read, seems a great icon for the PS3 generation! It's a really really fast car, but with all the technology "driving" it, the driver starts guessing who the hell is really driving the car!!!

As for pushing Porsche, guess it will; and every other performance car manufacturer!
Old 06-12-2008, 07:22 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Anyone else other than me think that the hp wars have about reached their peak? With fuel prices soaring and more economical and greenwise cars becoming more popular and expedient I wonder how long we can sustain this rush to ever more power.

Can anyone really handle a 700hp car. It has to stop somewhere. I think we may be on the cusp of a
70 era's power bubble bust, if for nothing else it will be regulated to meet fuel or insurance mandates. 400- 500 hp is not uncommon these days. If the GTR can put down physics defying numbers with 480 hp at 3800 - 3900 pounds I believe the answer may be found with gearing advancements and weight saving materials.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Agree that hp wars have reached their peak. Future focus will be on weight saving, better V6 or inline 6, hybrid engines...

I'm expecting hugh depreciation on my 500 hp CTT when it comes time to sell.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:07 PM
ruymoreira
7th Gear

I think hp wars reached their peak!!! just think how many mercedes you can have right now with over 500 horses?! It's a bloody Mercedes! Why do you need a 500 hp limo?! it's not going to track day's is it? Drag strip? don't think so!

I think Porsche is on a right way giving us more power and fuel efficiency! All we need now is less weight!

On the GTR, still think it's a great piece of car engineering. but for me it kinda misses the spot! As someone once said, what makes a Focus ST170 or a Boxster S so fun to drive at the limits, is that the chassis is so under stressed that you can drive it "like you stole it" and the car flatters your driving!
Don't get me wrong, I like HP just like every other car nut, but as the ad used to run: Power is nothing without control...
Old 06-12-2008, 10:22 PM
jackolo
Advanced

I think Porsche may be feeling a bit more heat then usual but nothing they're quite ready to hit the sirens for. They've managed for awhile now to keep pressure on the upper competition (eg, Ferrari) with lower horse power figures and now with the GTR at their heel, it'll take just a bit more revamping. Amazing how we never really mention that Corvette or ZR1. haha Also, lets consider the GTR as an anomaly. It really came out of nowhere eh?
I'd like more HP but without other proper upgrades to manage the power, its just asking for trouble, especially for our 2/2S counterparts. I'm thinking minor horsepower adjustments and major chassis upgrades (lighter/more rigid).
Old 06-13-2008, 03:58 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Re: "Will GT-R push Porsche" I do not see why a Nissan GT-R could not be used to push a Porsche. Check the bumper heights before you start however just to be sure.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:08 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Anyone else other than me think that the hp wars have about reached their peak? With fuel prices soaring and more economical and greenwise cars becoming more popular and expedient I wonder how long we can sustain this rush to ever more power.

We are going into a period of uncertainity with the November elections and the changes that are likely to occur. Presently it appears that the Democrats will win the preisdency and substantially increase their majorities in both the Senate and House. With $5 a gallon gas prices likely before the end of the year, there will be tremendous pressure on the Democrats to do something about those prices. My concern is that the something they do may cause gas shortages and long lines at gas stations. If this scenario unfolds, I guarantee you that the HP wars will be over. Paying $6 or $7 a gallon won't cause buyers of high performance cars to stop buying them, but waiting 30 minutes or more at a gas station will likely affect their buying habits.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:35 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast1
[B]

We are going into a period of uncertainity with the November elections and the changes that are likely to occur. .
You're dreaming if you think any any administration, Democrat or Republican, will deliberately implement a policy that will result in gas lines. Exogenous factors may result in gas lines, as in the 70s. But there is no political reason to do something to deliberately raise the price of gasoline significantly or to limit supplies. Current prices are sufficiently high to discourage most people from buying and using inefficient cars, which is probably a good thing. Further restrictions on supply / raised prices will lead to inflation, which no one wants.

That said, the hp wars are over, imo. That's not a bad thing.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:37 PM
jerryrice
Advanced

Does anyone know if Nissan is making any money at their MSRP price, or is it all smoke and mirrors and it costs a lot more to manufacture, and they are taking a loss just to claim they can make a super car at a bargain price.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:45 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

You're dreaming if you think any any administration, Democrat or Republican, will deliberately implement a policy that will result in gas lines.

Of course they would never deliberately do anything that would result in gas lines. Their intentions are always the best. It's the unintended consequencies of their actions that scare the hell out of me. Did the Republicans deliberately cause the price of food to sky rocket by diverting over a third of out total corn crop to ethanaol?

Democrats by nature believe that the government can solve all problems, so the expectations will be sky high for them. So let's see what the Democrats do to lower gas prices, and let's hope that it doesn't cause too much harm.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:22 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by holminator
Wonder how good the brakes are on the GTR (don't know about you guys but that's critical for me!)? Yeah, Porsche has a problem. I still think Porsche needs to up the baseline 911 horsepower to at least 400! That should have happened in the 2005 997-110 model! Thanks for posting the info.
I think that the new 997 CS Mk2 might have narrowed the gap. It's probably on the ballpark powerwise, and that might be enough to appease P-car fans (who appreciate driving dynamics/precision and rear-end power) who have been on the sidelines until now.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:21 AM
BrokenE
Instructor

I am ready for the flat 8 in the 998. See, that's the way to mix politics (slogans) and cars.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

I think that like most low production halo cars, this is probably a loss leader to get the kids in the dealerships to buy the new Altima or 350Z.

Quick Reply: Will the Nissan GTR-35 push Porsche?