Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the Nissan GTR-35 push Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 03:34 AM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will the Nissan GTR-35 push Porsche?

Don't get me wrong I think this car is ugly as sin, but my goodness the technology is astonishing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nVq98HOKQk

I'm hoping that this sort of reasonably priced competitor will push Porsche to give us proper paddles, more interior diagnostics and launch control.

I have a friend with one due in two weeks. He is paying $25k north of MSRP. I'm looking forward to driving it.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:51 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think so - Porsche works on their own timeline.

As far as the GT-R goes, if my attempt to buy one is any indication, there will be a lot sitting on lots with giant markups. Your buddy is foolish for paying $25K over. He is going to lose $40K the second he drives it off the lot, as well as rewarding Nissan for shady business practices.

It would still be fun to drive, so it sounds like you've got the best seat in the house (not buying, still driving)!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:02 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Wonder how good the brakes are on the GTR (don't know about you guys but that's critical for me!)? Yeah, Porsche has a problem. I still think Porsche needs to up the baseline 911 horsepower to at least 400! That should have happened in the 2005 997-110 model! Thanks for posting the info.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:23 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nissan began development of the GT-R with the 997TT as its performance goal. I do not think Porsche says I wish I could be like that Nissan.

That said Nissan did a great job, but really does it speak to you???

Haters can call our cars "uberbeetles" or overpriced or whatever they want as long as I can afford it I will have a European car and preferably one or more of the following Porsche, BMW, Ferrari.

My $.02
Old 06-12-2008, 09:35 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would be embarrassed to be seen driving around in that hideous looking hybrid.

Looks like a hybrid between a Honda front end and a Chevy back end.

It's embarrassing that you guys feel it worthy of discussion.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:43 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by Vitamin_J
Don't get me wrong I think this car is ugly as sin, but my goodness the technology is astonishing.

I'm hoping that this sort of reasonably priced competitor will push Porsche to give us proper paddles, more interior diagnostics and launch control.

I have a friend with one due in two weeks. He is paying $25k north of MSRP. I'm looking forward to driving it.
So he's basically paying an extra $6250 a month for the first 4 months of driving it. At that point, it's going to be October and they'll be selling for sticker. I hope he has a good summer with it!

I'd have trouble justifying that, but to each his own...
Old 06-12-2008, 11:46 AM
lig
Racer

I've tried to find one @ MSRP without success. I wouldn't trade the C2S for it but I'd love one for my daily and for the track once in a while.

I don't think Porsche really cares too much about the GT-R. The Z06 is already waaaay faster than our cars for base C2 money already.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

I agree, I told him he was crazy for needing to be first kid on the block. They are only importing 1,500 to the U.S. so I think the over MSRP premium will live longer than some think.

It out brakes, out accelerates, out handles, out everything our 911's and still is way south of $100k. I agree it is downright ugly, but man what a car. I don't think Porsche will aspire to be Nissan anytime soon and with limited production, this car will not make a dent into P car sales.

However, it may be the bar by which the 99X is measured. I never want to make the excuse that I paid a lot more for an inferior product (by a wide margin) because of the badge.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:49 AM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OCBen
I would be embarrassed to be seen driving around in that hideous looking hybrid.

Looks like a hybrid between a Honda front end and a Chevy back end.

It's embarrassing that you guys feel it worthy of discussion.
+ a bunch.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:19 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I know this is a Porsche board therefore it is understandable most dislike the GTR. But I have seen one in person and I must say it is a lot better looking in person than pictures. Performance wise, it offers a lot for the buck... Other than a Z06, I dont think anything comes close in that price range. Based on MSRP at least. For MSRP, I buy one in a heartbeat. But for close to or over $100k, no thank you.

For me, it is not all about how fast it can go from 0-60 or around the Ring. It's about the feel of it. Something European cars are very good at, especially Porsche
Old 06-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Kamran
Intermediate

Yes a Seiko shows the time very very acurate for a bargain price ==> Function
No a Seiko does not have the same class and style as a Rolex ==> Badge brag
I am not ashamed of saying that I care for class and style, but boy it does hurt my intellect when a cheaper model outperforms my ideal brand on function
Old 06-12-2008, 12:37 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Kind of hard to say until I drive the Nissan. The Nissan might be better than a 911, but heck, I use to think the Ferrari 360 was better until I drove a few of them, discovering the 997 is superior in the turns by a wide gap. The 997 back end is planted at speed. The 360s' rears were twitchy.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:51 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree, I told him he was crazy for needing to be first kid on the block. They are only importing 1,500 to the U.S. so I think the over MSRP premium will live longer than some think.

It out brakes, out accelerates, out handles, out everything our 911's and still is way south of $100k. I agree it is downright ugly, but man what a car. I don't think Porsche will aspire to be Nissan anytime soon and with limited production, this car will not make a dent into P car sales.

However, it may be the bar by which the 99X is measured. I never want to make the excuse that I paid a lot more for an inferior product (by a wide margin) because of the badge.

I also think the markup will last for a long time as well. Other than whats stated above, there are approx 800 out of the 2000 Nissan dealerships that will be selling it. So give or take, each one is only getting two units for the whole year. If you are the owner of a Nissan dealership, wouldn't you hold out for the big bucks? I would. Plus the fact this car is already going for well over $100k in other Countries and with the weak dollar, you know there will be many going to be exported. Anyways, I think dealers asking for $20k-$30k over will get it easily but not too sure abou the ones asking for $40k+

Although it maybe in the same price range, I really don't see the GTR in the same class as the 997. I can see it cross shop against a M3 or a GT3 as these are more track oriented? more youngster-ish?
Old 06-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Excellent achievement by Nissan. Very tempted to get one if available at MSRP. Won't give up the 911, but GT-R is so inexpensive, question is why not? Looking from a Japanese design, it doesn't look that bad.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:08 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default amazing car

I don't think you need to start your post with a protective insurance plan stating how ugly the car is.... I like the question as it stands alone. Beauty in the eye of the beholder and many have some choice lables for our 997's I rather not mention but believe someone already has in a prior post....

IMO amazing car, on paper and most reviews (and videos) it is beating badly any and all 997's in similar price range (think this is key to keep in mind) without breaking event the slightest sweat.... then comparing it to the higher model 997's (turbo) looks like the GTR still seems to be beating it in almost all performance categories....(please do not say performance doesn't matter because it does, unless you want to be like Car and Driver and rate sports cars based on their on trunk space....) And for 1/2 the price (repeated I know but a key piint).... then go to highest line 997 P car the gt2 and gt3 land where the $ is even more significant of a gap and well, those educated by the reports/press/reviews (all we really have to go on and some videos comparing the two) know the outcome.....

Its am amazing car, I respect it, can't wait to see it on the road.... and after seeing multiple in person as the car shows can say it looks intimidating.

Then again when a dodge neon srt 4 stage III pulls on a ferrari or a Porsche I also smile.....(*not street racing) I love all cars of performance and I do believe this car will help the industry for all consumers....first year production car causing this much chaos, debate, concern on Porsche owners says it all....Porsche a pedigree, 911 line up years of time and changes to produce max performance... and then a car like the GTR comes around it's first year and not only hangs with their higher end line up but beats many costing nearly 2X as much......... not sure how the true auto enthusitas can't appreciate this....or not reply with a "but it is ugly?"

Just because you on it, doesn't mean its the best..... goes for all car owners IMO. To many times have I heard people claiming XYZ about their car, the one they own, and once they sold that car the next in their garage is the best.....

I am a Porsche owner here, love my 997 but also love/apprecaite other automobiles. Paying special attention to the cars that deliver the most in reliability (unkown here with the GTR) Performance, and yes looks......... lets hope it doesn't fall apart, has many recalls or other issues. If it is solid I do think Porsche will take notice.....

Quick Reply: Will the Nissan GTR-35 push Porsche?