Sponsored by:

stock protective film on the fenders - lack of

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008 | 10:24 PM
ctporsche
Rennlist Member

Default stock protective film on the fenders - lack of

Hello,
I've been shopping for a 997. I just put a deposit on a 2005 C2S with 5k miles. I realized that the car does not have the stock film on the rear of the car, on the fenders in front of each rear tire. In my search I believe all of them had the protective film. The paint all around the car seems to be even at around .450 mm. Is it reasonable to suspect that the prior owner just took the film off or was the car likely repainted, just very well? Thanks in advance for opinions.
Old 06-10-2008 | 12:54 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

If the paint is the same all around, either the whole car has been repainted, or there's been no repaint at all. Strange that they would be removed. They are there for a reason. Though I must say I hate them and the thought has crossed my mind. They are an ugly shade of yellow on top of my seal grey. The aftermarket front end protection is nice and clear.
Old 06-10-2008 | 03:46 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ctporsche
Hello,
I've been shopping for a 997. I just put a deposit on a 2005 C2S with 5k miles. I realized that the car does not have the stock film on the rear of the car, on the fenders in front of each rear tire. In my search I believe all of them had the protective film. The paint all around the car seems to be even at around .450 mm. Is it reasonable to suspect that the prior owner just took the film off or was the car likely repainted, just very well? Thanks in advance for opinions.
The film on my 06 is starting to look discolored and a bit shabby. I could see someone removing it for that reason. Were I to remove mine I would have it replaced under warranty. If you are not sure about car have it checked for accident damage. This is a good idea in any event.
Old 06-10-2008 | 10:16 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by ctporsche
I realized that the car does not have the stock film on the rear of the car, on the fenders in front of each rear tire. In my search I believe all of them had the protective film. The paint all around the car seems to be even at around .450 mm. Is it reasonable to suspect that the prior owner just took the film off or was the car likely repainted, just very well? Thanks in advance for opinions.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/190753-clear-film-protection-on-rear-fender-area.html
Old 06-10-2008 | 03:12 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

What color is your car? Carrara White? Some owners with white Carreras have noticed the film turning yellow on them in no time,--and elect to remove the film. I suggest you replace the film with a 3M product that they are putting on the noses of the 997,--aftermarket. It seems to hold up better and not discolor. I would suggest AGAINST not having film there. The rear fenders extend well out enough to catch a lot of fling-up off the fronts.

Quick Reply: stock protective film on the fenders - lack of