Sponsored by:

Decision Validation

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Maxsar
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Decision Validation

About a year ago I tortured over the array of decisions I needed to make about my impending purchase of a 2007 (or 2008) 997. I had preferences for wheels, color, interior color, options, C2S or C4S, add on modifications. I remember seeing other threads where people were torn over similar decisions. I thought I would give my experience since it made a difficult decision easy.

My final test drive before the purchase was going to PSDS last June. I hadn’t owned a 911 in over 20 years, and wanted to make sure I wasn’t chasing a memory. The course clarified my thinking. I sat in this grey C2 ripping around the track. After only a few laps I realized that I wanted the car for the driving. Everything else was noise. After that the decisions became easy. Anything that didn’t deal directly with the interaction of me as a driver, the car, and the road became secondary at best.

I realized that I am not going to do the maintenance on my car. I am somewhat incompetent and I don’t have time to learn. My dealer isn’t necessarily the greatest, but they pick up my car fix it and drop it off. I take my car to the car wash. I am sure I will do a lot of things that some purists might shudder at. Please, don’t get me wrong. I admire the connection a lot of people have with their cars. That is great, but it isn’t me. In the end I bought a Meteor Grey C2S off the lot without a lot of extras.

Now a year later I have been able to validate my decisions. Just last weekend I had the joy of taking my 13 year old on a 7 hour trip from Cincinnati to Brevard NC to drop her off at Summer camp. The return took 9 hours they way I went. It isn’t the first time I have taken an extended road trip in my car. I like to drive. Still for some reason this trip confirmed all the decisions I made in purchasing my car.

I put 55k miles in two years on the 85 911 I owned 20 years ago. I am trying to learn how to drive better and will continue to take courses when I can fit them in. In the meantime I have two kids, 10 and 13, and all the commitments that is associated with somewhat overscheduled children. Hopefully you will see me at the Masters course this September. Most DE courses are on the weekend which doesn’t work if I am going to be there for my kids. The Porsche courses are during the week, and thankfully I can afford to pay the premium associated with them.

So for me my 997 is a toy that I enjoy when I can. This weekend I got to drive on a relatively empty portion the Blue Ridge Parkway and on numerous two lane back roads. I drove the Dragon. I got to run with through and around traffic on 4 hours of interstate from Knoxville to Cincinnati. My driving wasn’t excessive. I probably averaged less than 5 mph over the speed limit on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Still the experience went to the heart of why I bought my 997.

It is a tool for exploring. It is a topic of discussions that allows you to meet people. Sometimes I feel like Steinbeck in his book “Travels with Charlie”. The car of sourse is Charlie. For me it is a companion. There is something about that left front fender sticking out in front of me that is comforting. During this trip I realized in my day to day driving I have not visited the high rev range often enough.

So for anyone looking to purchase a 997, Just Do It, as Nike would say. This isn’t an original thought. I have seen people saying the same thing in many different ways in these forums. These cars are about driving. When you are screaming down a road in third gear with the engine at 6500rpm does it matter that the dash is covered in leather.

Most of the time I am more of a lurker than I am a contributor. I hope my contribution here helps a couple people get off the bench and into the game.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Welcome back. I missed the 911 experience as well but for a briefer period. As you know, it's not the speed but the how you get there. I find the newest 911 to be just as exciting as the old, but updated to today's materials and safety standards. A bonus to all of this modernization is the improvements in economy,--both fuel mileage, and range between services. No longer do we have to remember to be concerned with adjusting the valves, and replacing fouled plugs. It's a whole lot better!
Old 06-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Maxsar
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I couldn't agree more about the quality of the new car.

By the way. I am a huge fan of Santa Barbara as a UCSB grad. I am jealous of your location and roads.

I also like your posts on European delivery. I travel to Germany a lot. I think I will have to that way with my next car.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:40 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your 911

With best regards,

Quick Reply: Decision Validation