Trade the Z3 for a Boxster ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Trade the Z3 for a Boxster ??

(sigh ...)

Well, I've owned quite a few 911s since I graduated from school. I've loved pretty much all of them. Even the rusty ones.

My 997 C4 S is the best of the lot ... hands down. I ordered it decked out in the gear I wanted and like 90% of the package .... what I don't care for is just personal stuff. I'd change a few things on the next one.

BTAIM

I had decided to lease a new car in '09 when my 2 year lease with my 997 ends. But, well .... now .... I have other ideas. Not that anything is etched in stone. But, I'd like other's opinions, recommendations and experiences about this.

We also have a 2002 Z3 BMW rag top that we use on some warm weekends from May to November. Nice car, but not as well heeled as the Porsche. Sooooo ..... I tho't that we could return the 997 C4S when the lease is up (prolly with less than 9K on the clock), trade the Z3 in on a 2004+ Boxster S. And, be minus one car in the garage.

We have too many vehicles ...... 993 C4S in excellent condition, 3.0 Z3 in excellent condition, 997 C4S (leased everyday car) in excellent condition, Ford F150 Super Crew 4x4 we need to plow the driveway and such, newly leased CSL 550 Merc and 4 motorcycles. (sigh ...) I need to down size.

So, any experiences with the Boxter S? It is sorta 996 slab sided looking with the amoeba head lights, but I'm interested in it as a 'bonding car' once the Z3 leaves. BTW .... Boxster S cars are pretty expensive. Wonder if a 996 cab would be a better deal??

Thanx for you opinions, recommendations and such.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it. The Boxster will be great to drive. And it's good feng shui to get rid of clutter.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Le Chef
Do it. The Boxster will be great to drive. And it's good feng shui to get rid of clutter.
feng shui, eh. I like that.

Thanx, m'friend.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:00 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Tough one, but as you have 2 911s give the Boxster S a go.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Lblackman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove a Z3 before buying my first Boxster, and then moved to a Boxster S (2001). I could not believe what a POS the Z3 was ... it felt like it was a bunch of random bits bolted together without ever being designed to work as a single car. The Boxster, though, was tight and tied down - felt wholly integrated as a system.

Make the move ... you will only be mad at yourself for not starting with a Boxster instead of the BMW.

Lorne
Old 06-04-2008, 02:58 PM
mikejohn
Intermediate

Go for the Boxster S in a 2005 or later model.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:14 PM
997, esq
Racer

They upped the hp to 295 in the '06 Boxster, I believe. The '05 has slightly less hp. I test drove an '07 Boxster S before getting my C2. I thought it was a fabulous car. It feels smaller and more tossable than the C2. You could also check out the regular Boxster. It costs less and is significantly less powerful off the line. Nevertheless, I think it would be a lot of fun to drive, bc you can really stomp on it and you won't immediately be going felony speeds.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:34 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Z3 is a complete chick car....'nuff said
Old 06-04-2008, 03:36 PM
MartinJ
Intermediate

Buy a 987S a great car! I had one before the 997.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:54 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the 993 4-ever and buy the Boxster S!

Life is good!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:28 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Had a Z3 2.3 and sold it when we bought the CaymanS. That was more about track use (hardtop vs needing a roll cage), and not wanting to drive a rag top in the winter here. Loved cruising in the Z during summer, but the Cayman is a more fun year-round. I assume you'd like the BoxsterS, but I'd skip the base Boxster just because the exhaust looks like a big a-hole to me. And of course the Boxster is just a "Porsche with panties" IIRC.

Seriously, go with whatever you feel like. These aren't permanent choices, any mistake can be reversed or changed for a few bucks if you regret it.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

I used to get a Z3 loaner every now and then and couldn't believe how tight and uncomfortable that cockpit is. The legroom is next to nonexistent for the driver. I'd do the Boxter in a heartbeat.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
Had a Z3 2.3 and sold it when we bought the CaymanS. That was more about track use (hardtop vs needing a roll cage), and not wanting to drive a rag top in the winter here. Loved cruising in the Z during summer, but the Cayman is a more fun year-round. I assume you'd like the BoxsterS, but I'd skip the base Boxster just because the exhaust looks like a big a-hole to me. And of course the Boxster is just a "Porsche with panties" IIRC.

Seriously, go with whatever you feel like. These aren't permanent choices, any mistake can be reversed or changed for a few bucks if you regret it.

Thanx for the replies, folks. Appreciate it a great deal.

I was not interested in a 2.3 Z3 as I tho't it would be too anemic. That said, I'm just cruisin' 'round with my girl friend on warm weekends with the top down at posted speeds. Yes, some think the Z3 is a "girl's car". That can be said for lots of cars ... there are plenty of opinions regarding this. I guess the 'girls' would differ, tho.

I know of many that don't think the Boxster or the Cayman are not 'real Porsches', but only 'entry level cars'. BMW has a bevy of such I am told. Elitists exist everywhere I suppose. And, I realize the Boxster is a more refined car than the Z3. That goes without saying, eh. And, if the Cayman had a cab, I'd consider it, too .... if I fit in it.

I like what folks have said about the Boxster S. I think it may help with reducing my inventory, while keeping the P-car garage happy as well. I'll have to drive one to see if I fit in it .... and how it 'feels' to me, too.

Thanx.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:12 AM
vixapphire
Advanced

the Boxster S *is* the Cayman cabrio! Especially true since the refacing a couple of years ago.

I think you'll be pretty blown away by the Boxster/Cayman. Despite the near-identity of several interior trim bits with those of the 911, the driving experience is substantially different and a helluva load of fun. Daresay, it's significantly "less civilized" than the 996/997-era C2's. Not that there's anything wrong with that!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:35 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
Thanx for the replies, folks. Appreciate it a great deal.

I was not interested in a 2.3 Z3 as I tho't it would be too anemic. That said, I'm just cruisin' 'round with my girl friend on warm weekends with the top down at posted speeds. Yes, some think the Z3 is a "girl's car". That can be said for lots of cars ... there are plenty of opinions regarding this. I guess the 'girls' would differ, tho.

I know of many that don't think the Boxster or the Cayman are not 'real Porsches', but only 'entry level cars'. BMW has a bevy of such I am told. Elitists exist everywhere I suppose. And, I realize the Boxster is a more refined car than the Z3. That goes without saying, eh. And, if the Cayman had a cab, I'd consider it, too .... if I fit in it.

I like what folks have said about the Boxster S. I think it may help with reducing my inventory, while keeping the P-car garage happy as well. I'll have to drive one to see if I fit in it .... and how it 'feels' to me, too.

Thanx.
Went to the dragon last summer in the Z3 with a bunch of friends from all over the US. Mostly newer 'vettes, also a Mitsu 3000GT, an M roadster (Z4) and a 997S. My wife drove the Z3 on several legs through the Smokies including the Dragon and on a couple of roads with just the Porsche and Z4. She couldn't match their acceleration, but always caught them in the corners and was much faster through twisties. Point is, with a competent driver even the 2.3 can keep up with an average driver in a 997S or M Roadster (and the vettes were no problem, they looked like semis in those tight corners!).

I think this choice is about much more than the numbers, including feel, comfort, appearance, age of the cars, local service quality, etc.

Quick Reply: Trade the Z3 for a Boxster ??