Sponsored by:

Exhaust Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:26 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust Upgrade

help me, oh knowledgeable rennlisters and professors of power and acceleration. what would be the best exhaust upgrade that i could accomplish on my 08 carrera s 6 speed, that would give me the best kick *** sound, and would maybe give me some more hp, and would hopefully keep my warranty. what would this cost installed. i don't have the sport exhaust in this car. i would love my car to have the sound quality of a ferrari, or at least that type of a throaty sound.. what do you of great experience suggest?-thanx
Old 06-01-2008, 01:15 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.fabspeed.com.

I like the product and the company. Headers,sport cats, and mufflers. Great sound and power.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:56 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I have Fabspeed with over 16,000 miles and a lot of hard track use and they sounds great and hold up very well. I have heard at the track AWE, Fabspeed (on other cars), Tubi and Supersprint and by far the Fabspeed sounds the most like a true 997GTR Cup car at full song...but not as loud. The Tubi is the most quiet then AWE is very quiet along with Supersprint and then Fabspeed and Porsche Sport Exhaust as the loudest of the bunch.

Mufflers alone will do nothing for power and even adding headers and 200 cell cats do only a little to a 997S. You must reprogram the ECU/DME with a product like Softtronic to feel some gains in power.

If you are just looking for better sound get the Fabspeed.

Last edited by mdrums; 06-01-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:59 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

TUBI I have heard these on multiple cars, and they sound great Fabspeed sound like a ricky racer great for track not what you want on the street
Old 06-01-2008, 09:09 AM
sws1
Pro

Haven't heard them all, but I loved the sound of my PSE. I took it off my C2S before I sold it, so if you're interested, check out the For Sale ads.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PSE
It will give you great sound when you want it and quiet when you want to
listen to your radio (or if a Police car is near ) Lol

As far as power gains go, you won't get anything measureable from any exhaust system alone.
In fact , if you lessen the restrictions thru the exhaust (and / or intake )you may get a FEW hp at the high end, but also lose some torque at the lower rpm's ( where you want it )
That's fine for racing, but not on a daily driver.

In contrast , with the PSE , per factory setup you get the best of both .
In bypass mode, if you accelerate hard ( up to ~ 50 mph ) the PSE bypass dampers close automatically.
That increases the resistance thru the mufflers and gives you optimum torque when accelerating ( and also less noise in residential areas )
then , at higher speeds they open again to give you a little extra power .

It sounds like a Porsche should.
No resonance problems . Guaranteed .
It's OEM equipment . You don't have to remove it if you ever want to sell your car

To my knowledge, no aftermarket system can do any of that .

Last edited by Rolf Stumberger; 06-01-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:50 AM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The PSE does not give increased torque when accelerating. The only reason they close is for European noise restrictions. They open up at higher speeds to give you the PSE sound.

Personally, I would go with Tubi or Europipe.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:35 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Get the mufflers attached to a TT and you will be very happy with the power increase.

Likely anything short of this will be negligible on the clock so go for pure sound. I have the FisterD hack and love it for not much $$$. Big difference in sound between Tubi and Fabspeed IMO sound personal preference plays a big part. Don't believe everything you read regarding power gains unless you meet someone who has it done with before and after dyno results.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:24 PM
sws1
Pro

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
The PSE does not give increased torque when accelerating. The only reason they close is for European noise restrictions. They open up at higher speeds to give you the PSE sound.

Personally, I would go with Tubi or Europipe.

I think his point is that you have more torque down low with PSE vs the other mufflers because back pressure is maintained. It doesn't add it, but it doesn't take anything away at low RPM.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:41 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

my car gained HP 356 at the wheels and 273 lbs at the wheels. HP gain throughout the curve. The torque improvement across as well. It also smoothed out the twin peaks. I have not touched the computer but am working with the FVD guys. It all depends on what you want. If it is just more or different sound, the choices are different than gaining performance for the track. Since my car is 90% track the noise is a bonus to my ricky racer
Old 06-01-2008, 04:56 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by roberga
my car gained HP 356 at the wheels and 273 lbs at the wheels. HP gain throughout the curve. The torque improvement across as well. It also smoothed out the twin peaks. I have not touched the computer but am working with the FVD guys. It all depends on what you want. If it is just more or different sound, the choices are different than gaining performance for the track. Since my car is 90% track the noise is a bonus to my ricky racer
Can you post any lap times before and after the improvement? That would be the most telling number. I know there will be differences because of weather, track conditions, etc. but it would be great to see an apples to apples comparison on the stop watch versus a dyno run. What was the base HP at the wheels-prior to the swap.

BTW-Nice car!
Old 06-01-2008, 05:22 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

never bothered with stock exhaust. I will see what I can find an old dyno. I have had the car for 4 years and the numbers I have up are from a couple of weeks ago on a car with 56,000 miles on it. No stop watch timing for me since my insurance forbids such activity. I measure my improvement by entry and exit speeds on key corners.
The exhaust is just a part as I have:LWFW,cup clutch ,PP, suspension upgrades,Hoosiers and such. Of course the most important factor is track time and I have a driving coach who has made it possible for me to improve my skills.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default BORLA

Originally Posted by docjackson1
help me, oh knowledgeable rennlisters and professors of power and acceleration. what would be the best exhaust upgrade that i could accomplish on my 08 carrera s 6 speed, that would give me the best kick *** sound, and would maybe give me some more hp, and would hopefully keep my warranty. what would this cost installed. i don't have the sport exhaust in this car. i would love my car to have the sound quality of a ferrari, or at least that type of a throaty sound.. what do you of great experience suggest?-thanx
Borla just released headers and exhaust for the 997 and, based on my prior experience with Borla products, I am going with them.
There's a thread on 6speedonline, and you can listen to the sound.
Mr. B
Old 06-01-2008, 08:42 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i certainly appreciate all the feedback. how much do these systems cost installed? i know that the pse doesn't alter warranty-how about the other systems that you mention?
Old 06-01-2008, 09:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Brown
Borla just released headers and exhaust for the 997 and, based on my prior experience with Borla products, I am going with them.
There's a thread on 6speedonline, and you can listen to the sound.
Mr. B
Did not know Borla did headers too for the 997 and 997S. I thought I read it is just the mufflers and tips that they call their cat back system. I had Borla on a few Vette's and loved their products. Really built very well.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Upgrade