Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Does the Carrera S "Rattle" When Starting Cold?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 07:01 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
That's the emissions system doing something or the other with an air, gas, and/or solid to keep pollutants down until something or the other warms up to an efficient pollutant stopping temperature... or, not.
Geez - do something about that avatar of yours will you?

Howz a guy supposed to get any work done around here with distractions like that?
Old 06-02-2008, 11:39 PM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glorious sound- every morning I look forward to the sputtering seething animal Im about to unleash, I too wouldn't mind if it lasted all day
Old 06-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Some rattle noise, like chains being dragged over big log, is normal..

Originally Posted by THinthedesert
I've noticed when I start my car & the engine is cold from sitting overnight, it gives sort of a "rattle" sound when it first starts up. I've even noticed a similar "loud "rattle" sound that only lasts for a second or two (which is really irritating) when I leave a light and may be lugging it a little, or in second gear just crawling around a corner such as I'd do in a residential neighborhood. The sound is not always there, but it does always seem to be there when the engine is cold.

I seem to recall the dealer salesperson telling me that the "S" model does that when it first starts up.

Any comments from those of you that know a lot more than I do would be appreciated.
and to some extent is just what is happening. These engines have long chains that spin the exhaust cams and these long chains require long guides/tensioners.

When the engine is first started these tensioner/guides (which rely upon oil pressure to position them and apply proper tension) is absent. The chains then sort of drag over these guides/tensioners (their surfaces is made up of a composite plastic material).

Once the engine oil pressure is up high enough -- and this should just take a moment or two normally -- the chain guides/tensioners should be pressed against the chains and the chain being dragged over a log noise gone.

As for the rattle you hear when lugging the engine that is coming from misfire (preignition) from subjecting the engine to too much load at too low RPMs, which just so happens to be the definition of lugging. While this isn't as bad as detonation, it is bad enough. It subjects the bearings to higher loads at lower oil pressure and this can lead to early or premature bearing wear which can lead to lower oil pressure which can lead to more wear and so on. Stop it.

Don't lug engine.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

I get it when I shutdown the engine, just a quick rattle.

Deanski
Old 06-03-2008, 08:56 PM
THinthedesert
Advanced

Originally Posted by Macster
and to some extent is just what is happening. These engines have long chains that spin the exhaust cams and these long chains require long guides/tensioners.

When the engine is first started these tensioner/guides (which rely upon oil pressure to position them and apply proper tension) is absent. The chains then sort of drag over these guides/tensioners (their surfaces is made up of a composite plastic material).

Once the engine oil pressure is up high enough -- and this should just take a moment or two normally -- the chain guides/tensioners should be pressed against the chains and the chain being dragged over a log noise gone.

As for the rattle you hear when lugging the engine that is coming from misfire (preignition) from subjecting the engine to too much load at too low RPMs, which just so happens to be the definition of lugging. While this isn't as bad as detonation, it is bad enough. It subjects the bearings to higher loads at lower oil pressure and this can lead to early or premature bearing wear which can lead to lower oil pressure which can lead to more wear and so on. Stop it.

Don't lug engine.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
MarcW,

Thanks for this very well thought out & very technically oriented reply. It was just what I was looking for.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:04 AM
jonoz
Instructor

i love the gravelly rattle snake noise when lighting up my turbo when cold in the morning.....only happens then.
my 16 year kid loves it.
j
Old 06-04-2008, 09:05 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get the new bee to stand behind the P-car and make sure I can see thier reaction on start-up with the PSE on! Priceless, I can almost read thier minds, "What the F*&^K!"
Old 06-05-2008, 07:27 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my body makes the same sounds when I first start up in the morning

Quick Reply: Why Does the Carrera S "Rattle" When Starting Cold?