997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continuously filthy windshield??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008 | 12:45 PM
CButler
Instructor

Default Continuously filthy windshield??

Am I alone here? For the past 6 months I've noticed that the windshield on my 997S is continuously dirty. If doesn't matter if I've just washed, wiped, buffed, etc. the glass, as soon as I get 5-10 miles under my belt, the windshield gets dirty again. I'm not talking about highway debris or bug shells/guts. I'm talking about what looks more like little grease droplets (resembles sap...but I don't park or drive under trees). My first concern is that something is misting up on my windshield from underneath the wiper cowl, but I don't really see any fluid leaks there. And, if it were wiper fluid, it wouldn't make such a mess. Anyone else have this problem? If it weren't so frequent, I'd say it was from cars ahead of me. But, it happens every time I wash the car. Driving me nuts!
Old 05-20-2008 | 01:59 PM
richc
Pro

Stop washing it and see if it happens. I bet it won't.
Old 05-20-2008 | 10:25 PM
usmarine2003
Advanced

It's tree sap/pollen in the air. It will go away once summer arrives. I have it right now. Such a pain.
Old 05-21-2008 | 12:16 AM
rcl
Pro

this wouldn't have anything to do with the "jerking while driving" thread now would it???
Old 05-21-2008 | 12:34 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by usmarine2003
It's tree sap/pollen in the air. It will go away once summer arrives. I have it right now. Such a pain.
Quite right, it's that nasty stuff that will not only get on the windshield, but all over the finish as well. Feel the paint and you'll see. Better yet, put you hand in a thin plastic baggie and then feel the paint. The plastic makes the feel a bit more sensitive.

As long as you have a good sealant on the finish, a quick wash will take care of it. Otherwise, it's off to claying to remove it.

Windshields can also use a glass sealant like Diamondite shield to protect it. They make a spray clay as well.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 05-21-2008 | 02:58 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by rcl
this wouldn't have anything to do with the "jerking while driving" thread now would it???

Geez, my mind is usually completely in the gutter, but I have to admit that I totally missed the double entendre in the title of that thread.

Thanks for bringing it home - late laughs are the best laughs...

Good one.

I better start spending more time with my "Brain Age" game - I must be slipping in my old age.

Quick Reply: Continuously filthy windshield??